Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 06:10 PM

280 posts, read 247,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
Explain the context in which "statistical significance" means "the sample was large enough to reflect the opinions of the actual population."
The results of a vote could be statistically significant if those who voted were an accurate representation of those within a municipality. This isn't rocket science, and why you continue to harp on it is beyond me. Does youe ideology really blind to this degree??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 06:12 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,850 times
Quote:
Those enormous salaries, such as for A-Rod, wouldn't exist without enormous sports corporation bailouts in the form of stadium sized gifts for the billionaires who own the teams.

And let us not forget that salaries are deductions for the people who pay them. Thus, for every dollar of deduction they get, we the taxpayers have to make up for it.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:14 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,612 times
Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
The results of a vote could be statistically significant if those who voted were an accurate representation of those within a municipality. This isn't rocket science, and why you continue to harp on it is beyond me. Does youe ideology really blind to this degree??
No, my familiarity with statistics makes it difficult for me to let you trample all over the meanings of the words in your feeble-minded effort to sound knowledgeable.

You are bullying people with terminology. When doing so, it helps to know what the words mean.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Fanovavatar - your posts here are becoming more shrill & inane with each post. You've made your point. A few like-minded people agree with you. Screaming louder & louder, and insulting anyone who disagrees with you, does nothing to get your point across. It detracts from it.
I'm responding to a lone poster who doesn't get it. I'm not screaming louder (this is an internet forum anyway ). Why not make a post aimed at the other poster, why just me? OH wait, it's because you disagree with me

[quote=Coachgns;14416569]As for this whole silly argument about statistical significance of the vote - it is entirely irrelevant.
It was a VOTE. A Public election. If there are 1 million voters, and only one person decides to vote, that person;s vote counts, and that is the Conclusion. End of argument until the next ELECTION.
Elections are not exercises in statistics. Election results are Absolutes. They express the will of the people who care to express their opinions. Any good statistician can mainipulate statistics to prove their point. An election is what a democracy does to avoid these "Lies, Damm Lies & Statistics" (A book you - the collective you, here - may want to read. ).I agree that the vote represents those who voted only. Ask the moron who posted that the vote represents what the LI public feel - that's who started all of this.

Quote:
And lastly, you seem to react much too strongly to the term TEABAGGERS. No one is using it in a sexual context. If this is the only way you can conceive of that term, you probably need to look deep inside. Or does that term offend you as well? "Thou dost protest too much?"
Actually, the sexual reference is what the term means. You can "scream and moan" all you want that it isn't a sexual reference, but that doesn't make it so. Just ask keith olberman, he got the term going on his garbage show.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:16 PM

59 posts, read 91,173 times
You guys are nerds!!!

Old 05-31-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
No, my familiarity with statistics makes it difficult for me to let you trample all over the meanings of the words in your feeble-minded effort to sound knowledgeable.

You are bullying people with terminology. When doing so, it helps to know what the words mean.
Yea, but your point which started this exchange is wrong, pure and simple. My use of the term is perfectly acceptable to anyone who has more than "book knowledge" of stats. Enjoy your definitions.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:19 PM

Default I never said that.

[quote=Fanofavatar1;14416632]I'm responding to a lone poster who doesn't get it. I'm not screaming louder (this is an internet forum anyway ). Why not make a post aimed at the other poster, why just me? OH wait, it's because you disagree with me

Quote:
As for this whole silly argument about statistical significance of the vote - it is entirely irrelevant.
It was a VOTE. A Public election. If there are 1 million voters, and only one person decides to vote, that person;s vote counts, and that is the Conclusion. End of argument until the next ELECTION.
Elections are not exercises in statistics. Election results are Absolutes. They express the will of the people who care to express their opinions. Any good statistician can mainipulate statistics to prove their point. An election is what a democracy does to avoid these "Lies, Damm Lies & Statistics" (A book you - the collective you, here - may want to read. ).I agree that the vote represents those who voted only. Ask the moron who posted that the vote represents what the LI public feel - that's who started all of this.

Actually, the sexual reference is what the term means. You can "scream and moan" all you want that it isn't a sexual reference, but that doesn't make it so. Just ask keith olberman, he got the term going on his garbage show.
FanofStarWars,
Go back to our original discussion. I stated that an election is the best-known empirical manner with which to assess public preference on issues and office holders.

You said it wasn't statistically significant, a seeming indictment of the measure.

I responded that statistical significance has nothing to do with population estimates.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:29 PM

[quote=DeadPool1998;14416674]
Quote:
I'm responding to a lone poster who doesn't get it. I'm not screaming louder (this is an internet forum anyway ). Why not make a post aimed at the other poster, why just me? OH wait, it's because you disagree with me

FanofStarWars,
Go back to our original discussion. I stated that an election is the best-known empirical manner with which to assess public preference on issues and office holders.

You said it wasn't statistically significant, a seeming indictment of the measure.

I responded that statistical significance has nothing to do with population estimates.
Actually I am a fan of star wars - funny attempt at an insult

Elections are not necessarily the best manner to assess public preferences. Many would argue polls are better because it takes the "inconvenience factor" out of voting. Again, the degree of desire is irrelevant, despite what some of the internet geniuses on this board want to make people believe.

And yes, the vote wasn't (necessarily) representative of the population.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:35 PM

Default No

[quote=Fanofavatar1;14416764]
Quote:
Actually I am a fan of star wars - funny attempt at an insult

Elections are not necessarily the best manner to assess public preferences. Many would argue polls are better because it takes the "inconvenience factor" out of voting. Again, the degree of desire is irrelevant, despite what some of the internet geniuses on this board want to make people believe.

And yes, the vote wasn't (necessarily) representative of the population.
Desire isn't theoretically irrelevant. In a case in which the privileged majority continuously imposes the status quo on a minority population, due only to tradition appeals, the Supreme Court has ruled that the will of the minority should outweigh the majority in matters of rights.

So, your assertions are not absolute.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:40 PM

[quote=DeadPool1998;14416836]
Quote:

Desire isn't theoretically irrelevant. In a case in which the privileged majority continuously imposes the status quo on a minority population, due only to tradition appeals, the Supreme Court has ruled that the will of the minority should outweigh the majority in matters of rights.

So, your assertions are not absolute.
yea, because that matters to LI school budget votes keep reaching... even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island