Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2010, 07:40 PM

577 posts, read 978,665 times

Advertisements

These next contracts for teachers, supervisors & administrators must have at worst....a Zero % increases for at least 3 years (including coaching, clubs, yearbooks etc), 25 % contribution to health insurance, zero increase in payments to the Union benefits plan (for dental, prescription, eyeglasses etc). Increases of at least 1 hr teaching time for all teachers (this will reduce the number of actual teachers in the District), 10 sick days max per teacher. All other excusals (personal leave days, emergency days, illness in family etc) will result in a commensurate reduction in salary (will go towards paying for the substitute teacher). All union activities will be done on non school time including the union president ( will result in needing less teachers in the district).

For Newly Hired Teachers

* 10% reduction in starting salary

* 20 to 30 years of "step" increases reduced to 3 years and a max of 1K increase for each year.

* No more public pension replaced by self funded 401K type progran.

* 30% contribution to medical plan & ends upon retirement

* 1 1/2 hr of increased teaching time.

* tenure to be reviewed every 3 years

* salary adjustments based on subject matter taught (ie gym teacher gets less than AP chemistry teacher)

These adjustments, which are long overdue will help restore some sanity to the taxpayers!

Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 11:04 PM

852 posts, read 2,016,890 times
Here. George Carlin makes my point better than I ever could:

YouTube - George Carlin ~ The American Dream

Old 06-04-2010, 11:42 PM

815 posts, read 2,051,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
These next contracts for teachers, supervisors & administrators must have at worst....a Zero % increases for at least 3 years (including coaching, clubs, yearbooks etc), 25 % contribution to health insurance, zero increase in payments to the Union benefits plan (for dental, prescription, eyeglasses etc). Increases of at least 1 hr teaching time for all teachers (this will reduce the number of actual teachers in the District), 10 sick days max per teacher. All other excusals (personal leave days, emergency days, illness in family etc) will result in a commensurate reduction in salary (will go towards paying for the substitute teacher). All union activities will be done on non school time including the union president ( will result in needing less teachers in the district).

For Newly Hired Teachers

* 10% reduction in starting salary

* 20 to 30 years of "step" increases reduced to 3 years and a max of 1K increase for each year.

* No more public pension replaced by self funded 401K type progran.

* 30% contribution to medical plan & ends upon retirement

* 1 1/2 hr of increased teaching time.

* tenure to be reviewed every 3 years

* salary adjustments based on subject matter taught (ie gym teacher gets less than AP chemistry teacher)

These adjustments, which are long overdue will help restore some sanity to the taxpayers!

Any other suggestions?
Bring their own heating oil for the winter, must be available 24/7 for students and parents, must give free tutoring after school hours on a one to one basis, must sign a contract that they can be fired at any time with no reason necessary. BWAHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Old 06-05-2010, 07:23 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
Man! You totally nailed me! The education of a child is a closed system with three variables: kids' scores, teachers, and their pay.

Is that the model you are working from?

There is such a thing in a correlation as an intervening variable.

Incorrect. Magnet city schools are taught by significantly lower paid teachers yet beat out LI's higher paid teachers as far as student scores.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:12 AM

156 posts, read 448,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Incorrect. Magnet city schools are taught by significantly lower paid teachers yet beat out LI's higher paid teachers as far as student scores.
Yes, but they also get to hand pick their students. There are no special ed, ELLs or behavioral problems. If a student develops any problems, they are asked to leave. Also similar to the discussions about private schools, when a student is in an environment where everyone else is learning they will follow suit. It is not fair or reasonable to compare magnet or charter schools to local neighborhood schools.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:55 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne teacher View Post
Yes, but they also get to hand pick their students. There are no special ed, ELLs or behavioral problems. If a student develops any problems, they are asked to leave. Also similar to the discussions about private schools, when a student is in an environment where everyone else is learning they will follow suit. It is not fair or reasonable to compare magnet or charter schools to local neighborhood schools.

Awww Joanne, you beat me to it!

Old 06-06-2010, 09:06 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
By the way, I'm not the husband of a teacher. My wife couldn't break through the cronyism in the Long Island teaching system and the arcane accreditation requirements. She's back at school learning a new professional. Despite all that, I won't demonize the teachers union.
Considering how not very long ago, back "when she was a teacher" you were complaining on here about multiple bank overdraft charges, complaining about your mortgage, etc., etc., I cannot believe that is occuring and you still own your home minus her income plus the expense of sending her back to school unless you hit Lotto. Nice try. Just admit she's a teacher.

The biggest supporters on here of the property tax status quo are either teachers, married to them, or renters not directly paying real estate taxes.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:17 AM

570 posts, read 1,214,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Considering how not very long ago, back "when she was a teacher" you were complaining on here about multiple bank overdraft charges, complaining about your mortgage, etc., etc., I cannot believe that is occuring and you still own your home minus her income plus the expense of sending her back to school unless you hit Lotto. Nice try. Just admit she's a teacher.

The biggest supporters on here of the property tax status quo are either teachers, married to them, or renters not directly paying real estate taxes.

Here you go again, assuming ALL teachers etc love property taxes because they profit from them?
Yeah, I'm married to a teacher. Was he in on the negotiations? Nope. Did he take advantage of whatever "they" negotiated and came to terms on? Yup.
Tell me you wouldn't take a pay raise or a nice benefit if it was given to you!
Had he voted "no" when the union asked the teachers to approve/vote down the contract terms, would that have changed the attitude of all the others who voted "yes"? Nope. It would have passed with or without him.

My point here is that, sure, teachers, like anyone else here, like to get raises and benefits. That doesn't equate to loving their property taxes, which by the way, are most likely not from the district they teach in, only the one they live in! So again, the teacher has no say in the school tax portion of the district they live in, if they don't work there.

No one likes to pay high property taxes. Not even teachers. Supporters of the status quo? Not me. I've stated numerous times here that boards and unions need to start slowing down the increases and change the way benefits are paid for.

So I think you need to change your tune.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:31 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Here you go again, assuming ALL teachers etc love property taxes because they profit from them?
Yeah, I'm married to a teacher. Was he in on the negotiations? Nope. Did he take advantage of whatever "they" negotiated and came to terms on? Yup.
Tell me you wouldn't take a pay raise or a nice benefit if it was given to you!
Had he voted "no" when the union asked the teachers to approve/vote down the contract terms, would that have changed the attitude of all the others who voted "yes"? Nope. It would have passed with or without him.

My point here is that, sure, teachers, like anyone else here, like to get raises and benefits. That doesn't equate to loving their property taxes, which by the way, are most likely not from the district they teach in, only the one they live in! So again, the teacher has no say in the school tax portion of the district they live in, if they don't work there.

No one likes to pay high property taxes. Not even teachers. Supporters of the status quo? Not me. I've stated numerous times here that boards and unions need to start slowing down the increases and change the way benefits are paid for.

So I think you need to change your tune.
And they are suffering from short sightedness. Taxes and COL have led to a 20% drop in the young population. What happens in 10 years when its up to 30% and the school enrollement sits at 15% lower then today.

While yes, it isn't the teachers per-se, every teacher I've met has fiercely defended the need to pay exceptionally well, even going so far as to say they should be paid more.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:42 AM

570 posts, read 1,214,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
And they are suffering from short sightedness. Taxes and COL have led to a 20% drop in the young population. What happens in 10 years when its up to 30% and the school enrollement sits at 15% lower then today.

While yes, it isn't the teachers per-se, every teacher I've met has fiercely defended the need to pay exceptionally well, even going so far as to say they should be paid more.

I fully understand that our young adults can't afford to live here. I've got three of them still living at home! What is going on now with our taxes was put in motion probably fifty years ago or so and has just mushroomed. I don't think anyone was thinking about the ramifications of the terms of many contracts down the road. As many have said, when times are good, contracts reflect that. When times are bad, contracts don't change much. Yes, that needs to be addressed immediately. I think current school boards are well aware of this, yet some are waiting for contracts to expire so they can renegotiate, hoping for some concessions from the unions. Not just the teachers either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island