Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 09:15 PM

56,856 posts, read 25,787,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edification101 View Post
Previously posted - "The only BOE that contested the negotiations was in Plainview-Old Bethpage and they still ended up getting a 2-2.5% a year after going without a contract for 5 months and it was retroactive."

Bell Port/South Country and Sag Harbor have been without a contract since 7/1/2008
Shoream-Wading River has been without a contract since 7/1/09
Middle Country went about 5 or 6 months without a contract and got a 1 year extention that runs out 7/1/10. They will again be without a contract.

Just some information.
The Sag Harbor negotiations are a complete mess. Since 2008 the teachers contract expired and they refused to accept a 2.5% increase as their request is 3.9% a year for 5 years. Retires with 10 years experience have their dental and medical paid for life.

They went to arbitration through the Taylor law and got no where. The teachers are looking towards the neighboring school district inthe Hamptons that have a higher salary scale and feel this is a fair comparison. I think they are a little out of touch and this is going no where soon.

Also Wading River is in trouble, that may have something to do with the loss of revenue from Shoreham power plant years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 PM

574 posts, read 973,270 times
RE:.In New Jersey, the administration of Gov. Christopher J. Christie recently imposed pension cuts on future hires, but has been quietly looking into whether it could also reduce the benefits that current employees expect to accumulate in the coming years

Unfortunately we don't have any politicians in NY with the ballz to stand up to the teachers union. However all 3 Governor candidates have indicated that they want a property tax cap. Little Mario has proposed a 2% cap or the rate of inflation whichever is lower. The party may be over for the teachers unless they get the PTO mommies to have massive fundraisers to fund their steps, contract increases and bloated benefits package.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:23 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,460,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The Sag Harbor negotiations are a complete mess. Since 2008 the teachers contract expired and they refused to accept a 2.5% increase as their request is 3.9% a year for 5 years. Retires with 10 years experience have their dental and medical paid for life.

They went to arbitration through the Taylor law and got no where. The teachers are looking towards the neighboring school district inthe Hamptons that have a higher salary scale and feel this is a fair comparison. I think they are a little out of touch and this is going no where soon.

Also Wading River is in trouble, that may have something to do with the loss of revenue from Shoreham power plant years ago.
Holy hell! 3.9% for 5 years. HEEEEELLLLOOOO CHRISTMAS TIME. Plus absurd bennies! What a racket.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:18 PM

574 posts, read 973,270 times
Average Teacher Pay By District. Read it & weep taxpayers! By the way those are 2005 figures!

http://longisland.newsday.com/school...ngs.php?id=pay

Congratulations to all teacher for the end of the school year. I hope they enjoy their 74 days off on the taxpayer's dime!

Last edited by crv1010; 06-23-2010 at 08:36 PM..

Old 06-23-2010, 09:29 PM

852 posts, read 2,011,304 times
I really like teachers. They've done a great job with my son.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:42 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,562,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
I really like teachers. They've done a great job with my son.
I do not think that anyone here does not like teachers; not liking teachers high-priced compensation (wages + benefits) packages is not the same as not liking teachers.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:10 AM

570 posts, read 1,210,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crv1010 View Post
Average Teacher Pay By District. Read it & weep taxpayers! By the way those are 2005 figures!

Long Island Schools - Test scores, school programs - Newsday.com

Congratulations to all teacher for the end of the school year. I hope they enjoy their 74 days off on the taxpayer's dime!

How many times do you have to be told that you aren't paying any teacher for their summer time off? They are paid for 10 months, not 12. You can keep your dime!

Old 06-25-2010, 11:16 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,987,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
How many times do you have to be told that you aren't paying any teacher for their summer time off? They are paid for 10 months, not 12. You can keep your dime!
Sure we are, the teachers are paid a "bloated" rate for the six months they do "actual work". The remaining four months are holidays, snow days, prep time and weekends, plus official nationally recognized holidays.
Great deal 180 days worked, 180 days downtime to do what ever you feel like.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:25 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,184,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Well those rates of compensation for 10 months instead of the usual 12 certainly blows any proponent of the current compensation system out of the water, so I don't know why you are even stating this theory. It makes the union advocate side look even worse.

Actually they are paid an ANNUAL SALARY, taking into account that they will have to live during the summer when they are off (meaning need $$$) and are compensated accordingly.

If they were "only paid for 10 months" then teachers would be eligible for Unemployment Insurance every summer. They are not. They are not seasonal at-will employees. Far from it.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:29 PM

852 posts, read 2,011,304 times
Default Great Idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Well those rates of compensation for 10 months instead of the usual 12 certainly blows any proponent of the current compensation system out of the water, so I don't know why you are even stating this theory. It makes the union advocate side look even worse.

Actually they are paid an ANNUAL SALARY, taking into account that they will have to live during the summer when they are off (meaning need $$$) and are compensated accordingly.

If they were "only paid for 10 months" then teachers would be eligible for Unemployment Insurance every summer. They are not. They are not seasonal at-will employees. Far from it.
And let's pay firefighters for 12 weeks per year. Those lazy loafers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island