U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-01-2010, 02:59 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,141,974 times

Advertisements

These threads always devolve.

The OP highlights a long-standing issue which is Long Island does not do the "young professional" thing well. And that is absolutely true. Whether or not LI wants to is another story.

That said, at age 32, making 45k, take that same circumstance to a lot of eastern metro areas (DC, Boston, etc) and you still are not buying a home at that income level, at least not a desirable one. But there are at least some better options in my opinion such as more condos, co-ops, etc. So, for the same reasons I am living in terrible, HORRIBLE, Long Island , he should probably move...his opportunity likely lies eslewhere to get what he wants in life. And while that can be seen as a knock on Long Island, it also can be seen as why anyone moves anywhere (including LI). For the best life circumstance and opportunity. And these are all very personal and can not be spoken about in broad sweeping generalizations. While many on this forum (and this horse is now beaten into chop meat) like to go back and forth with the "look at my low taxes and beautiful house you bagel loving narrow-minded pizza snobs" and the Long Islander counters with "I don't care if taxes are 10 cents a year I hate SOUTHERN/MIDWESTERN people" the actuality is neither is "right", both camps are simply doing what is right for their life. Nobody is smarter than the other, nobody is more ignorant than the other. My career and family situation is working out well for me here in lovely Long Island. I like it. No place is perfect. Contrary to regional bashers I do not live in every single town in Long Islander, so things like traffic on the Southern State, which I am never on, or on Merrick Road, which I live nowhere near do not effect me. But that is my situation. If I were to lose my private sector job (in case you folks thought I was a teacher or cop ) I might need to think about a move. It is all pretty straightforward if you ask me. But do we really need another thread to add to the 10000000000 about LI stinks, I left, my house is great/everybody who leaves wants to come back, blah blah blah?

I had nice weekend. Weather was great. How about discussing the finer points of a good bbq??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 03:19 PM

9,123 posts, read 10,669,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Also, do you think saying "sounds like a W2 problem" is clever enough to repeat 30 times?
No, it's slated to become the new catchphrase:

"That new roof is going to cost you $10K, ma'am"
"Sorry, I have a W2 problem with that"

"Your car needs 'X' amount of work before it can pass inspection"
"geez...I have a W2 problem with that"

"Let's go to La Plage in Wading River for dinner"
"I have a W2 problem with that"

See how it works?

Or maybe New York State can change its name from "the Empire State" to "the w2 Problems State - watch us try to stay out of bankruptcy"

You see the possibilities are endless!

Old 06-01-2010, 03:31 PM

7,658 posts, read 11,101,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No, it's slated to become the new catchphrase:

"That new roof is going to cost you $10K, ma'am"
"Sorry, I have a W2 problem with that"

"Your car needs 'X' amount of work before it can pass inspection"
"geez...I have a W2 problem with that"

"Let's go to La Plage in Wading River for dinner"
"I have a W2 problem with that"

See how it works?

Or maybe New York State can change its name from "the Empire State" to "the w2 Problems State - watch us try to stay out of bankruptcy"

You see the possibilities are endless!

Im sorry if youre having a hard time right now.

Peace

Crooks

Old 06-01-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Nobody said it sucks, it's just too expensive to justify toughing it out for many people.

I don't understand why this makes you so defensive.

Also, do you think saying "sounds like a W2 problem" is clever enough to repeat 30 times?
Theres nothing clever at all about it....its just reality.

Im not being defensive, that income would be tough anywhere.

I just dont understand all the complaining.It is what it is.

I wish you well too Dman.

Crooks

Old 06-01-2010, 03:38 PM

5,130 posts, read 4,979,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
<snip>

I had nice weekend. Weather was great. How about discussing the finer points of a good bbq??
You wanna discuss bbq with people who moved to NC or TX?!

heh

Seriously, though - agree with many points you had. But I don't view this as a "LI stinks" thread... One would have hoped that options were available to a honest kid making a decent living via a legit means. Employers in the private sector are by and large fleecing the workforce, though. They are getting away with paying less... So, I just find it disconcerting that the general consensus seems to be telling the OP (even though he may be a bit "old" for that salary) to not let the door hit him in the arse on the way out.

If it's realism, so be it...

Old 06-01-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

heh

Seriously, though - agree with many points you had. But I don't view this as a "LI stinks" thread... One would have hoped that options were available to a honest kid making a decent living via a legit means. Employers in the private sector are by and large fleecing the workforce, though. They are getting away with paying less... So, I just find it disconcerting that the general consensus seems to be telling the OP (even though he may be a bit "old" for that salary) to not let the door hit him in the arse on the way out.

On that fact we absolutely agree Kid.

It unfortunately has nothing to do with the LI RE market or the COL.

It aint easy Kid... but its not impossible either.

Peace,

Crooks

Old 06-01-2010, 03:58 PM

7,338 posts, read 7,835,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Theres nothing clever at all about it....its just reality.

Im not being defensive, that income would be tough anywhere.

I just dont understand all the complaining.It is what it is.

I wish you well too Dman.

Crooks

Personally, I have a place in my heart for someone who can be trusted to fly a plane with people in it, but can't afford to live here. That's more an issue with his industry and the shape it's in than anything, I guess.

I'm doing fine here, my job is solid and my wifes is "gravy train", so I'm not going anywhere as long as those 2 things hold up, and I'll bear the high tax burden because I'm also somewhat a beneficiary of it.

I just think that people "complaining" often have a legitimate beef, and when people who are lucky or bought in 2001 or for whatever reason are in an easier position in life take the opportunity to thumb their nose at the complainer, it's a tad annoying.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Personally, I have a place in my heart for someone who can be trusted to fly a plane with people in it, but can't afford to live here. That's more an issue with his industry and the shape it's in than anything, I guess.

I'm doing fine here, my job is solid and my wifes is "gravy train", so I'm not going anywhere as long as those 2 things hold up, and I'll bear the high tax burden because I'm also somewhat a beneficiary of it.

I just think that people "complaining" often have a legitimate beef, and when people who are lucky or bought in 2001 or for whatever reason are in an easier position in life take the opportunity to thumb their nose at the complainer, it's a tad annoying.
Me too...and I apologized to him earlier in the thread.

I dont mean to sound so hard a$$ed about it Dman but bashing LI gets old quick.Every thread winds up in the same toilet.
Its really beyond any ones control.

Supply and demand has nothing to do with value or popular opinion.

LI...it is what it is.
Get on board or get outta dodge but for F sake please stop complaining and do something.

Peace

Crooks

Old 06-01-2010, 04:14 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,462,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Well, Millennials do tend to be selfish in that unrealistic, impatient, "I want $75,000 for being a entry-level editorial assistant" kind of way. Tough noogs, there. You want a senior editor's salary? Work your way up to senior editor.

But that is everywhere in the country, not just here. Here, they can't afford a home on even $50,000, which is the point of this whole thread.

Overall, salaries on Long Island do not match the cost of living. You have to work in the city for that, but even then, depending on what field you're in and how far along in your career you are, that may not be enough, either. What people are forgetting is that salaries in the private sector here are low for the cost of living here. That $75K senior editor salary is for a small to mid-range circulation trade mag based in the city. A senior editor for the Long Island Business News is going to make a lot less. Last I checked, it was low 50s. When they tried to recruit me in 2007, they were talking less than that.

People talk about how salaries are lower in places where there's a lower cost of living. That's not necessarily true, either. A dental assistant is going to make the same $30K in North Carolina that she is on Long Island. That $30K is going to go a lot further in N.C. than it is here.

Which, again, is the point of this thread.
Exactly. Most places I've looked at pay my salary about 10%-20% less. OK, sounds bad enough, but then I look at the houses, taxes, gas, electrical, insurance, and then look at the salary we end up with a lot more.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:25 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,141,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

heh

As I mentioned, options here for a young professional at 45k, from a housing standpoint, are pretty lousy. We do not do the young professional workforce thing well. Why LI can not embrace the right kind of gentrification of some of these shore towns so that the condo/co-op/rental marketplace can grow in areas that need the injection of new residents is always surprising to me. Why the rejuvenation of areas like portions of Long Beach can not be repeated in other main street communities is odd. Bayshore should be a resort town...and no I am not kidding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island