Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 05:57 AM

13,507 posts, read 17,007,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspace7 View Post
My dad with zero skills or college education started at Grumman young and after 20 years was making over $50K/yr in 1994. Not too bad for a machinist. My mom who transferred to corporate working for a sister company came very close to a layoff as well because of the company moving of of LI.

Manufacturing on Long Island is coming to an end, but who can blame them?
Sounds very, very familiar.

My dad was able to support the family on his blue collar Grumman job alone. owned a house, 2 cars, etc...my mom only worked part time after we went to school and not every year.

He did work 6 days a week to get the overtime many weekends, but he was also up around 5 WEEKS of vacation after 20+ years, and had an actual pension, if you can believe that. So he'd be able to take off 2 weeks during the summer, Christmas, Easter, and Winter breaks, to correspond with when we had school vacations, and he never worked more than 8 hour days. Then the 90's came around and the bottom started falling out, but he was almost out by then anyway. Where are the jobs like that on LI? Who's the biggest employer, CA? You're lucky to be able to afford an apartment on what they pay.

My dad is not one of those old people who farts around telling everyone how tough it was back in the day. He tells me that he knows it's harder for my wife and I than it was for him. We both graduated college, she has a masters, but we both have to work to afford to live here, and my time off is pretty pitiful...(although my boss helps me out here and there with not booking days).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 12:13 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,259,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1219 View Post
Great point. How come nobody ever complains about all of the small business owners/contractors that are not declaring incomes? We find plenty of fault with teachers and cops but at least they pay taxes.
Nobody?

I do all the time.

How about the "day laborer employment centers" PAID FOR BY OUR TAX MONEY so contractors can get illegal aliens who work off the books?

WE are paying taxes so illegal aliens can be assured of labor where they don't have to.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b13thomas View Post
We're in the Raleigh area, we moved three years ago, haven't looked back. Great weather, inexpensive. The thing that sold us was a spreadsheet that we put together comparing on our expenses in Montclair NJ (nice Town) vs. Raleigh. the difference was staggering- insurence, medical (Increadible dif here), property taxes (wow), Housing cost...

We came down three weeks later and started to look.
Interesting.

Were you retired when you did this or did you have to still work for a living once you got to Raleigh, NC?

Old 06-04-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Sounds very, very familiar.

My dad was able to support the family on his blue collar Grumman job alone. owned a house, 2 cars, etc...my mom only worked part time after we went to school and not every year.

He did work 6 days a week to get the overtime many weekends, but he was also up around 5 WEEKS of vacation after 20+ years, and had an actual pension, if you can believe that. So he'd be able to take off 2 weeks during the summer, Christmas, Easter, and Winter breaks, to correspond with when we had school vacations, and he never worked more than 8 hour days. Then the 90's came around and the bottom started falling out, but he was almost out by then anyway. Where are the jobs like that on LI? Who's the biggest employer, CA? You're lucky to be able to afford an apartment on what they pay.

My dad is not one of those old people who farts around telling everyone how tough it was back in the day. He tells me that he knows it's harder for my wife and I than it was for him. We both graduated college, she has a masters, but we both have to work to afford to live here, and my time off is pretty pitiful...(although my boss helps me out here and there with not booking days).
So many of the baby boomers DO NOT RECOGNIZE THIS.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,660,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspace7 View Post
Actually I have no criminal record. The real criminal is the industry I work in. Look up Regional Pilot pay and you will uncover a world of unjust. Thanks for the harsh assumptions tho...PAL.
One of my friend's son's is in the industry and lives out west. He couldn't afford to have his family here on his salary. It is criminal.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:01 PM

59 posts, read 173,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
One of my friend's son's is in the industry and lives out west. He couldn't afford to have his family here on his salary. It is criminal.
You ain't kidding. The last hiring boom of 2006-07 regionals were so desperate they were filling right seat of passenger airplanes with 250 hr newly certificated commercial pilots for a whopping $16K/yr. In fact my sim partner in training had only 500 hrs.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:24 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,790,323 times
Crookhaven writes:

Quote:
If you dont have the coin for LI maybe try NC but please stop whining...

If you want a cheap McMansion and you dont mind leaving your family and friends behind then maybe NC is for you....

Have you considered North Carolina?...

Sell the Vette....buy the house or go Tarheel....
Sheesh man, enough with the NC talk! My beautiful state is already completely overrun with folks coming from LI, NYC, and NJ by the thousands every year, because someone told them we're handing out jobs at the state line or something.

So now NCs unemployment is #7 in the US and rising, the traffic that was once "nothing" is now growing steadily (thousands of new people tends to do that); prices go up as LIers are willing to pay more for housing, affecting all of us; the Southern niceties such as waving and speaking to people on the street are being lost as folks from NYC area bring their more brusque, blunt, more impatient ways with them...

What does it take to get somewhere other than NC planted in the minds of Long Islanders?! Can we take down the billboards that must surely be up there saying "Move to NC and all of your problems will be solved forever!!!!!"

NC is not a dumping ground for disillusioned Long Islanders and New Joiseyites. Please consider one of 48 other states if all you want to do is "get the ^#% out of LI". A state can only absorb so many thousands of transplants from another area before it is adversely affected, and NC is at that point.

Quote:
A dental assistant is going to make the same $30K in North Carolina that she is on Long Island.
Or 48 other states, too--NC is not the ONLY option for displaced Long Islanders! Perhaps a state with lower unemployment (casued largely by so many moving here with no job or plan, just "to get away from _____"), for one thing!

Quote:
The problem with North Carolina is that it's filling up with Long Islanders.
Quote:
That is why places like that are inundated (locals consider it "infested") with Long Islanders, New Yorkers, and people from the Jersey burbs of New York.
Any time an area is "invaded" by thousands every year all from one particular area--particularly an area where people talk faster and louder, are more argumentative and impatient, and often tend to have superiority complexes towards the natives--those folks are going to be resented in some degree by the locals. Of course many or most LIers coming into NC are perfectly nice people and I am friends with two in particular, but I even see plenty of posts on the LI board about "how rude everyone is on LI now". So why would we want thousands of admitted "rude people" coming to our state and causing prices and traffic to go up? (I haven't even mentioned the "Lon GOYYYYYland" accent )

I ask those wanting to leave LI to realize that NC is not, despite what you may have heard, the only possible state to move to. Certainl;y, if you want to get away from other Long Islanders, you don't want to come here!

Old 06-04-2010, 01:28 PM

13,507 posts, read 17,007,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Crookhaven writes:

Sheesh man, enough with the NC talk! My beautiful state is already completely overrun with folks coming from LI, NYC, and NJ by the thousands every year, because someone told them we're handing out jobs at the state line or something.

So now NCs unemployment is #7 in the US and rising, the traffic that was once "nothing" is now growing steadily (thousands of new people tends to do that); prices go up as LIers are willing to pay more for housing, affecting all of us; the Southern niceties such as waving and speaking to people on the street are being lost as folks from NYC area bring their more brusque, blunt, more impatient ways with them...

What does it take to get somewhere other than NC planted in the minds of Long Islanders?! Can we take down the billboards that must surely be up there saying "Move to NC and all of your problems will be solved forever!!!!!"

NC is not a dumping ground for disillusioned Long Islanders and New Joiseyites. Please consider one of 48 other states if all you want to do is "get the ^#% out of LI". A state can only absorb so many thousands of transplants from another area before it is adversely affected, and NC is at that point.

Or 48 other states, too--NC is not the ONLY option for displaced Long Islanders! Perhaps a state with lower unemployment (casued largely by so many moving here with no job or plan, just "to get away from _____"), for one thing!

Any time an area is "invaded" by thousands every year all from one particular area--particularly an area where people talk faster and louder, are more argumentative and impatient, and often tend to have superiority complexes towards the natives--those folks are going to be resented in some degree by the locals. Of course many or most LIers coming into NC are perfectly nice people and I am friends with two in particular, but I even see plenty of posts on the LI board about "how rude everyone is on LI now". So why would we want thousands of admitted "rude people" coming to our state and causing prices and traffic to go up? (I haven't even mentioned the "Lon GOYYYYYland" accent )

I ask those wanting to leave LI to realize that NC is not, despite what you may have heard, the only possible state to move to. Certainl;y, if you want to get away from other Long Islanders, you don't want to come here!
Tough luck dude. Deal with it.

As for NC'ers being nice, I had a red neck try to drive me off the road over there at a merge..he was laughing after I got in front of him, barely avoiding hitting an oncoming concrete median..and I the rental car had Missouri plates, not NY. Real Southern niceties? Maybe some people, also a whole lot of trash.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:32 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,406,934 times
Quote:
Crookhaven writes:

So I take it you're not a member of the 'NC Welcome Wagon', LOL !!! I'm not discouraged; I'm coming anyway just a few weeks from now. One of the MANY reasons I'm coming is for my kids (who are still in school so won't be looking for a job real soon) who want to get into the computer gaming industry. NC is one of a handful of states where that industry is located. So NC here I come!!!

Old 06-04-2010, 01:35 PM

19,224 posts, read 17,029,510 times
Quote:
Crookhaven writes:

ROTFLMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island