Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 01:31 PM

59 posts, read 173,630 times

Advertisements

So, I am 32, born and raised in Ronkonkoma earning $45,000/yr and after 5 years of renting apartments I have come to the realization years ago I will not be able to afford to purchase a home here. I am out as of November 2010. Any other Generation Xers in the same boat as me?

A decent apartment on Long Island is now in the >$1500 range. How can anyone save for a down payment on a decent home with prices like we are seeing? I figure with my salary of $45,000 with 30% going to taxes gives me $31,500/yr take-home or about $2,625/mo.

$2,625(pay)-$1,500(rent)=$1,125.

Average first home L.I. home price: $300,000

Down payment (20%): $60,000

So if I was to not eat, not pay gas, not purchase utilities, etc. I can save $1,125/mo.

Year to accumulate down payment with savings: 4.4 years

That would be the best case scenario. We all know one must eat, pay car loan, student loan, buy clothes, etc. So that number drastically increases. So what is everyone else doing? What will happen to L.I. after we all leave as prices continue to escalate?

Rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 01:39 PM

2,942 posts, read 5,987,479 times
Where will you move to? North Carolina, Florida, Arizona, Nevada? Pick your poison - in Arizona they don't have grass, it's all sand!

Old 05-22-2010, 01:51 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,460,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Where will you move to? North Carolina, Florida, Arizona, Nevada? Pick your poison - in Arizona they don't have grass, it's all sand!
Yes, yes, yes, and yes. All have significantly lower COL. Between inflated home prices and high property taxes we have the perfect storm of problems.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:57 PM

2,942 posts, read 5,987,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Yes, yes, yes, and yes. All have significantly lower COL. Between inflated home prices and high property taxes we have the perfect storm of problems.

With lower cost of living, comes lower annual salaries. Take a flight out to Phoenix or Tucson, unless you are a skilled engineer or have some desirable skills, chances are you will not make anything close to what you are making now. Don't forget, those states also have super high unemployment - much higher than NYS, CT or NJ. Also, with lower taxes, come less government provided services. You will have to drive 20 miles for a gallon of milk, there is no nightlife, everything is dead after 8:30 pm - except in Vegas or the Mojave (then the bats come alive along with the snakes).

Old 05-22-2010, 02:24 PM

152 posts, read 546,140 times
Quote:
20 miles for a gallon of milk, there is no nightlife, everything is dead after 8:30 pm - except in Vegas or the Mojave (then the bats come alive along with the snakes).
Having been to Phoenix, NC, and FL I think this is a bit overdramatic.

20 miles for a gallon of milk? Ummm....OK.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:41 PM

44 posts, read 180,234 times
No nightlife for me here anyway. Can't afford nightlife. Not a teacher or cop.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:48 PM

160 posts, read 288,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimasa View Post
Having been to Phoenix, NC, and FL I think this is a bit overdramatic.

20 miles for a gallon of milk? Ummm....OK.
That was my thought as well...even down here in Birmingham, Alabama I can get milk from 5 different places all within 3-4 miles of my house!

I moved from LI 16 years ago for my career, with the intent of returning someday. Last year, I finally made a full concerted effort to return. After weighing all the pros and cons, it just wasn't financially feasible. I would have traded my 3500 sq. ft all brick house with annual property taxes of $2800, and the national Blue Ribbon School that my kids attend for a 2000 sq ft house with property taxes 3-4x as much.

Before I get flamed, don't get me wrong, I love and miss LI, especially the cuisine, pro sports, and the joys of the north shore, but wouldn't be able to really enjoy many of those things simply because we wouldn't be able to afford them. Agreed, there's not much "going on" after 8:30pm here, but I'd rather be at home with my family anyway at that time (besides, when I return to LI for vacation during the holidays and summer, there isn't exactly much going on up there either on the island that those of us past the age of 30 would care to do).

So in response to the OP, I agree 100% with you. If I could enjoy a decent quality of life and not stress about finances, I'd be back in a heartbeat. It is a shame that it is so difficult for younger couples to stay there.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:54 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,223,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspace7 View Post
So, I am 32, born and raised in Ronkonkoma earning $45,000/yr and after 5 years of renting apartments I have come to the realization years ago I will not be able to afford to purchase a home here. I am out as of November 2010. Any other Generation Xers in the same boat as me?

A decent apartment on Long Island is now in the >$1500 range. How can anyone save for a down payment on a decent home with prices like we are seeing? I figure with my salary of $45,000 with 30% going to taxes gives me $31,500/yr take-home or about $2,625/mo.

$2,625(pay)-$1,500(rent)=$1,125.

Average first home L.I. home price: $300,000

Down payment (20%): $60,000

So if I was to not eat, not pay gas, not purchase utilities, etc. I can save $1,125/mo.

Year to accumulate down payment with savings: 4.4 years

That would be the best case scenario. We all know one must eat, pay car loan, student loan, buy clothes, etc. So that number drastically increases. So what is everyone else doing? What will happen to L.I. after we all leave as prices continue to escalate?

Rant over.
Whatever you do, don't move to a place just because it's cheap. Move to a place that you love, that happens to be cheap.

You could not pay me to live in that desert hell-hole of Arizona. But if you like it out there, go for it. Houses are on sale at 60% off their 2006 prices. You could probably pick up a condo for 50K. You could live OK on a 30K salary.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:11 PM

347 posts, read 1,347,225 times
If you are single and making $45k, it is going to take a long time to get into a house. You'll have to start "small" with a starter home. If you are married and have a second income, the possibilities are better. I was personally lucky to get a good job out of college and my salary increased pretty quickly, plus my wife was doing fairly well too. So we were able to get a decent house - not my dream house by any means, but it's not too shabby either. If there was nothing holding me to Long Island, I'd move in a heartbeat. We have seen a number of friends move away and they have purchased magnificent homes for about 300k and their takes are 4k or less. Very frustrating living here...

I like the Atlanta area personally.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:18 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,460,318 times
Quote:
With lower cost of living, comes lower annual salaries. Take a flight out to Phoenix or Tucson, unless you are a skilled engineer or have some desirable skills, chances are you will not make anything close to what you are making now. Don't forget, those states also have super high unemployment - much higher than NYS, CT or NJ. Also, with lower taxes, come less government provided services. You will have to drive 20 miles for a gallon of milk, there is no nightlife, everything is dead after 8:30 pm - except in Vegas or the Mojave (then the bats come alive along with the snakes).
Yep, there are usually lower salaries but the lower taxes and costs more then make up for it in more areas. LI has an extremely low value-per-dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island