Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:32 PM

592 posts, read 1,811,098 times

Advertisements

This entire LI forum is getting mighty sad with all the constant negativity and bickering in EVERY post. This is the second or third time in the last 10 days where someone has asked for a positive post on something and the positive posts only last for about three entries until the nastiness begins. Very sad.

To try to bring it around to positivity again---get the hint negative, off the OP's theme posters---Something people seem to forget when they compare LI teachers to a teacher, say in Virginia as someone did here, is that LI teachers have to live on LI with LI's costs. They don't teach here and get to live in Virginia! LI teachers may make double the pay of a teacher in the South or wherever, but they also pay twice the taxes as that teacher does and pay at least double for their homes here on LI as that teacher does, etc.

Another thing is that any working person on LI who went to 4 years of college to gain their career, then continued going 2 more years for their Master's Degree in their field, and forever more must continue taking courses at their own expense throughout their career is probably making a good salary on LI. So, why shouldn't teachers make a good one, too? I suspect one of the problems here lies in the fact that, unfortunately for teachers, their salaries are public knowledge where other LIer's salaries aren't. If people knew what many other people who's services they take advantage of on LI make annually, they'd probably be on their backs about it, too!

The guy who wears a blue collar but owns the body shop you go to is making a hefty salary, so is the doctor, dentist, orthopedist, chiropractor, orthodontist, many restaurant owners, sales marketing people, bar and club owners, real estate office owners, insurance brokerage office owners, sales managers in department stores, and on and on all make plenty of money, too.

Another thing is that teachers work 180 days a year, not some of the lesser amount of days I've seen written here. And, most of them work far more hours than the average school day from 9-3. They are also working at home after school in daily class preparation and then grading tests, labs, and homework and in doing school paperwork.

As is so often said in these threads, if you think it's so cushy to keep the lid on, and then teach, a classroom full of 25 little ones, junior high aged kids, or high school kids by all means do all that it requires a person to do and then be a teacher yourself! Then after a hard day's work of corralling the classroom to listen to you, disciplining the problem children, teaching the 100-150 kids you had in groups of 25 at a time all day long, then putting in a few or a lot of hours at home to prepare for the next day and marking the papers from that day, and if you haven't collapsed in bed by then you can hop on to CityData and read the spiteful, nasty, riling and raging comments by your fellow LIers--some of who may have been taught by you and some of who are parents of your students. Have fun with that!

I for one "Thank A Teacher". In fact, I thank just about all my, my children's and now my grandchildren's teachers from the bottom of my heart. I know it's a job I couldn't do! I don't have the stamina, energy, patience, personality or focus to do it. I say God Bless them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 12:33 PM

280 posts, read 246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
See, Kay, what you need to understand is that YOU need to back your claims up with facts.

The job of FanofAvatar is to bully you with his facile knowledge of argumentation theory (which he proceeds to fail to employ in his own arguments).

If you are unfamiliar with the technique, listen to Limbaugh or Beck deal with a hostile caller. It works in real time but not in text-based space.
Lay off the pipe pal. Kay made the assumption that the school district vote represent how all Liers feel about the spend on education. Only an ignorant ideologue would assert that a vote for school spending on a day with heavy rain (yea deadpool, it was heavy rain not a drizzle) where the increases were marginal accurately reflects the how LIers feel about education spend.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:33 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,958,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
As is so often said in these threads, if you think it's so cushy to keep the lid on, and then teach, a classroom full of 25 little ones, junior high aged kids, or high school kids by all means do all that it requires a person to do and then be a teacher yourself! Then after a hard day's work of corralling the classroom to listen to you, disciplining the problem children, teaching the 100-150 kids you had in groups of 25 at a time all day long, putting in a few or a lot of hours at home to prepare for the next day, marking the papers from that day, if you haven't collapsed in bed by then you can hop on to CityData and read the spiteful, nasty, riling and raging comments by your fellow LIers--some of who may have been taught by you and some of who are parents of your students. Have fun with that!

Yup I agree. I used to teach at a couple of different levels/environments, from young children to adults, and it's not as easy as some people think.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:38 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,246,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
This entire LI forum is getting mighty sad with all the constant negativity and bickering in EVERY post. This is the second or third time in the last 10 days where someone has asked for a positive post on something and the positive posts only last for about three entries until the nastiness begins. Very sad.

To try to bring it around to positivity again---get the hint negative, off the OP's theme posters---Something people seem to forget when they compare LI teachers to a teacher, say in Virginia as someone did here, is that LI teachers have to live on LI with LI's costs. They don't teach here and get to live in Virginia! LI teachers may make double the pay of a teacher in the South or wherever, but they also pay twice the taxes as that teacher does and pay at least double for their homes here on LI as that teacher does, etc.

Another thing is that any working person on LI who went to 4 years of college to gain their career, then continued going 2 more years for their Master's Degree in their field, and forever more must continue taking courses at their own expense throughout their career is probably making a good salary on LI. So, why shouldn't teachers make a good one, too? I suspect one of the problems here lies in the fact that, unfortunately for teachers, their salaries are public knowledge where other LIer's salaries aren't. If people knew what many other people who's services they take advantage of on LI make annually, they'd probably be on their backs about it, too!

The guy who wears a blue collar but owns the body shop you go to is making a hefty salary, so is the doctor, dentist, orthopedist, chiropractor, orthodontist, many restaurant owners, sales marketing people, bar and club owners, real estate office owners, insurance brokerage office owners, sales managers in department stores, and on and on all make plenty of money, too.

Another thing is that teachers work 180 days a year, not some of the lesser amount of days I've seen written here. And, most of them work far more hours than the average school day from 9-3. They are also at home in daily class preparation and then grading tests, labs, and homework and in doing school paperwork.

As is so often said in these threads, if you think it's so cushy to keep the lid on, and then teach, a classroom full of 25 little ones, junior high aged kids, or high school kids by all means do all that it requires a person to do and then be a teacher yourself! Then after a hard day's work of corralling the classroom to listen to you, disciplining the problem children, teaching the 100-150 kids you had in groups of 25 at a time all day long, putting in a few or a lot of hours at home to prepare for the next day, marking the papers from that day, if you haven't collapsed in bed by then you can hop on to CityData and read the spiteful, nasty, riling and raging comments by your fellow LIers--some of who may have been taught by you and some of who are parents of your students. Have fun with that!

I for one "Thank A Teacher". In fact, I thank just about all my, my children's and now my grandchildren's teachers from the bottom of my heart. I know it's a job I couldn't do! I don't have the stamina, energy, patience, personality or focus to do it. I say God Bless them!
Sadder yet, your comments will fall on blind eyes.

And teachers in Virginia are nicely compensated. You just don't have the constant kvetching there that we do here on this board. Which, by the way, I never hear anywhere else on Long Island. Just here.

It's funny, but I was talking about all of this with a friend from Ohio last weekend, and her response is the same as mine. "Sooooo... If people can't afford to live there because of their property taxes, they can't move? Plenty of other places in the country."

Which is pretty much my sentiment. I mean, I'd love to live in Beverly Hills, but it's just a weeeee bit more expensive than I can afford, so I don't. Oy!

Old 05-24-2010, 12:38 PM

852 posts, read 2,014,358 times
Default So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
Lay off the pipe pal. Kay made the assumption that the school district vote represent how all Liers feel about the spend on education. Only an ignorant ideologue would assert that a vote for school spending on a day with heavy rain (yea deadpool, it was heavy rain not a drizzle) where the increases were marginal accurately reflects the how LIers feel about education spend.
Why do you get to operate from the assumption that people who didn't want to be taxed are less likely to show up in the rain than those who do want to be taxed?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool1998 View Post
why do you get to operate from the assumption that people who didn't want to be taxes are less likely to show up in the rain than those who do want to be taxed?
that is what i've been asking this whole time!!

Old 05-24-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
Why do you get to operate from the assumption that people who didn't want to be taxes are less likely to show up in the rain than those who do want to be taxed?
In my opinion, it's safe to say someone who doesn't feel strongly either way but would otherwise vote if it were convenient might not vote if it is pouring outside, which it was on Tuesday.

That is my opinion, and whether it is correct or not is beside the point. Kay made the assertion that the budget vote reflects LIers feelings, so Kay needs to proof that. I simply gave Kay a couple of variables that may not proof his assertion.

Read a book on debating and you won't come across as ignorant.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
Kay made the assertion that the budget vote reflects LIers feelings, so Kay needs to proof that. I simply gave Kay a couple of variables that may not proof his assertion.
Uhh, my proof that the majority of voters wanted the budget to pass, is that the budget passed...

what more proof do you need... it's pretty simple...

Old 05-24-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Uhh, my proof that the majority of voters wanted the budget to pass, is that the budget passed...

what more proof do you need... it's pretty simple...
What about all of those who didn't vote? How do they feel? See, that's what you have to prove, otherwise your inference that LIers are OK with the education costs is wrong.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:49 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,026,709 times
Unless you have a poll of non-voters the rain theory is opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island