Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 11:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,058 times

Advertisements

Each car that you use needs to be linked to an EZpass. The reason for this is that if you go thru one of those high speed lanes, and the transponder does not register correctly, they take a picture of your plate. They then look up your plate for the ezpass account to charge the toll to. If your car does not have an ezpass registered to it, they send you a ticket. I bought a car and got new plates for it and I grabbed my old ezpass. It wasn't linked, so I got a ticket. The ticket was waived when I linked an ezpass to it. I don't think you have to have the same ezpass in the car, but the plate has to be linked to an ezpass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 AM

7 posts, read 25,421 times
Thanks mrdc1701 for info!

Old 02-01-2013, 07:06 AM

57,231 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
You can use your EZPASS in any car you want. I often lend mine out to family - if they are traveling and don't have one.

I've had an EZPASS since they were first introduced - and never had it attached to my window. Any worthless government employee who would write a ticket for such a thing clearly was bored, hadn't gotten laid in a month of Sundays or there was simply more to the story.
That's not true, the EZ Pass is assigned to one vehicle, just because you didn't get a ticket doesn't mean you won't. I have switched EZ passes bewteen cars and didn't get a ticket but I know several people that were ticketed for use on the wrong vehicle, around a $20 fine.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:47 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I just receive a violation notice because the tags were not registered to the car. How did I know this? I called because the notice essentially give the excuse of a low balance. I knew that was not the case as I am on auto renew and when I called I was told the tags did not match the transponder, turns out DH never updated the new car tags. We updated then and it was dismissed but, there is the proof that it is tag driven.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:50 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
good to know - I use masspike's ezpass (no monthly $1 fee) and you can easily put in additional cars on the website.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That's not true, the EZ Pass is assigned to one vehicle, just because you didn't get a ticket doesn't mean you won't. I have switched EZ passes bewteen cars and didn't get a ticket but I know several people that were ticketed for use on the wrong vehicle, around a $20 fine.
Not true and this is per NY Ezpass just last week. I have 2 cars and one pass, so long as I have the tags registered (up to 4 cars per one pass) you are fine. This is all news to me gleaned from the CSR at EZ pass last week due to the previously mentioned violation.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
You can also ask E-Z Pass to send you more velcro strips to use in other cars with the one transponder. We've done that before.

Careful about the battery though. We had one that was dead after a few years and of course it didn't work as we went through a toll going upstate! There's no way of knowing when the battery goes!
Or use double face scotch tape

Old 02-01-2013, 09:53 AM

57,231 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Not true and this is per NY Ezpass just last week. I have 2 cars and one pass, so long as I have the tags registered (up to 4 cars per one pass) you are fine. This is all news to me gleaned from the CSR at EZ pass last week due to the previously mentioned violation.
I didn't know you had the option of registering multiple cars on a single pass. I was speaking to those that switch the EZ pass to another vehicle, I know poeple that did get a ticket for that, depends on whether they screen.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I didn't know you had the option of registering multiple cars on a single pass. I was speaking to those that switch the EZ pass to another vehicle, I know poeple that did get a ticket for that, depends on whether they screen.

I had no idea til the violation either.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:45 AM

30 posts, read 73,936 times
Quote:
You can assign as many vehicles as you want to the EZPass transponder, but each plate number you use must be linked or you risk a ticket. Just make sure when you return the rental car you remove the plate from your account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island