U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:06 PM

278 posts, read 362,818 times

Advertisements

I'm planning a trip upstate in a few weeks and want to rent a car. Am I allowed to use an ez pass in a rental car? Do I have to register the plates of the rental car with ez pass or can I just take the ez pass in the rental without telling ez pass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 01:10 PM

3,686 posts, read 4,435,170 times
Friend of mine got a ticket for using his EZPass in a rental. Seems they pulled him over because he did not have it affixed to the window and he told them it was because this was a rented car(which was true). Got a ticket for that.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:52 PM

15,783 posts, read 16,746,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Friend of mine got a ticket for using his EZPass in a rental. Seems they pulled him over because he did not have it affixed to the window and he told them it was because this was a rented car(which was true). Got a ticket for that.
Are you sure? I never knew it had to be affixed to the window. My drivers go through the Midtown Tunnel all the time and they just hold up their EZPass at the tollbooth ...

Old 05-27-2010, 01:55 PM

3,131 posts, read 2,484,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post

It's your E-Z pass assigned to you! You could use it in any vehicle you want, rental included. You can get a ticket for not being affixed to the window.... but that's a cheapie summons.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:08 PM

110 posts, read 282,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf2737 View Post
I'm planning a trip upstate in a few weeks and want to rent a car. Am I allowed to use an ez pass in a rental car? Do I have to register the plates of the rental car with ez pass or can I just take the ez pass in the rental without telling ez pass?
Your EZpass will work in any car it is in. No problem at all. I have personally used the EZpass in rental cars alot over the years.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:15 PM

447 posts, read 805,199 times
Its definitely supposed to affixed to the windshield. I use a suction cup holder instead of the industrial velcro . You can pick one up at AID auto or similar stores if you are interested. I've used the pass in other vehicles besides the one 'registered' on EZPass website, never a problem.

Old 05-27-2010, 03:47 PM

187 posts, read 523,601 times
the faq from the ez pass guidebook just says you should not use it if you are using a different CLASS of vehicle (using a car tag while driving a truck).

This infers that you can use your pass in any vehicle of the proper class.

https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/i_guide.pdf

Old 05-27-2010, 10:02 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,141,761 times
can be used, you cannot however hold it up, if it works ok, but it it dont and the TBTA cop has to raise the arm you may get a ticket. If there is no arm (gate) and it doesnt work, a summons + toll will be fined to the registered owner of the car, who will pass it on to you. So make sure it registers and you have no problem. (Assuming youre not using a passenger car tag in a 14,000lbs truck)

Old 05-31-2010, 06:51 AM

3 posts, read 68,916 times
The reason EZ Pass wants the drivers to fix the toll tag transponder to the windshield is to make sure the reader can read the toll tag transponder. This doesn't always happen when the EZ Pass is allowed to slide on the dashboard or is "waved" by the driver. People don't like to fix them on the windshield because they either like to transfer them from car to car (if you want to do that in NJ, I think, you register the second vehicle and you get a blue EZ Pass) or they think someone will steal it (dumb idea because the thief would get a picture of his car taken every time he used it) or they don't like the way the EZ pass looks on the windshield. If that's the case go to a site like www.LogoTollTags.com and get an EZ Pass holder with your favorite NFL, MLB, NHL, NCAA or NASCAR logo. Problem solved. Looks Great, Team Pride, Yada, Yada , Yada! Also most accidents occur near the tollbooths. A high percentage of these are caused by drivers trying to find their unattached EZ Pass transponder!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:18 AM

513 posts, read 518,469 times
You can also ask E-Z Pass to send you more velcro strips to use in other cars with the one transponder. We've done that before.

Careful about the battery though. We had one that was dead after a few years and of course it didn't work as we went through a toll going upstate! There's no way of knowing when the battery goes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island