U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-28-2010, 06:12 AM

347 posts, read 788,897 times
Default South Country School Board

EDITORIAL: South Country district job move looks bad

Unbelievable....
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 10:04 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,101,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post

What a classic UNDERSTATEMENT!
"BAD?"

Disgraceful!

Old 05-28-2010, 10:23 AM

329 posts, read 385,480 times
This is a shock to people? This is going on in all School Districts....the only difference is that its done a lot more discreetly!

Old 05-28-2010, 10:41 AM

280 posts, read 44,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder_Skrotums View Post
F-ing amazing! I live in this school district and, specifically the high school, this district has always been a low-middle to bottom trender. Despite the poor performance, my fellow neighbors always seem way too willing to vote yes to increase my taxes without ever questioning how money is allocated. Sadly, even publicized examples of this nepotism, even if it were released before the vote, still wouldn't make an impact in the voting.
Astute point. People with children in schools will almost always vote in a budget because if they don't, it will be the programs they want that are cut.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:34 PM

704 posts, read 959,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder_Skrotums View Post
I live in this school district and, specifically the high school, this district has always been a low-middle to bottom trender. Despite the poor performance, my fellow neighbors always seem way too willing to vote yes to increase my taxes without ever questioning how money is allocated. Sadly, even publicized examples of this nepotism, even if it were released before the vote, still wouldn't make an impact in the voting.
While I do think the nepotism is ridiculous, I wouldn't necessarily fault South Country for failing to teach their students. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Well, in North Bellport, there are a bunch of "horses" dragging down performance levels...

Last edited by nancy thereader; 06-02-2010 at 09:40 PM..

Old 05-31-2010, 07:25 AM

498 posts, read 488,444 times
Default Go after them

Some astute taxpayer should have gone after the district via the State Ed Dept for this move. It is very obvious that reactivating this job was done for the sole purpose of giving the board president priority in getting it. That's a big conflict of interest on his part.

Board members have to sign a waiver that they have no conflict of interest businesses or contracts with the district for their own benefit. Doesn't matter that he didn't vote for himself for the job. His fellow board members should have known better and refused to do it. And this was done before he was off the board! His term doesn't end until June 30th.

There are only a certain number of days after the act occurred for a taxpayer to complain to the state. On top of that, I would think the district lawyer would have informed them that it was unethical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island