Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2010, 11:21 AM

63 posts, read 297,956 times

Advertisements

I have a friend looking at a house in Brightwaters and she asked me what she got "extra" for paying the village taxes to be in the village if Brightwaters. I didn't know the answer, so I am asking it here......

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 03:36 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
As a village, Brightwaters is a self-governing municipality while Bay Shore is a hamlet and is governed on an at-large basis by the Town of Islip.

While a property owner in the Village of Brightwaters pays a village property tax, the same property owner is shielded from some of the Town of Islip property taxes.

Speaking generally, property owners in many villages see their town property tax less than it would otherwise be if the same property was in a hamlet, offsetting their village property tax.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:05 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Physically it depends which part of Bay Shore...Brightwaters is nice and so are parts of BS south of Montauk. It has more 'class' to say Brightwaters now I guess.

Bay Shore used to be a very swanky town...

Old 05-28-2010, 06:19 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathicool View Post
I have a friend looking at a house in Brightwaters and she asked me what she got "extra" for paying the village taxes to be in the village if Brightwaters. I didn't know the answer, so I am asking it here......

Thanks!
Some villages give their residents certain advantages, such as access to a village park or parking at the local railroad station. I have no idea what Brightwaters offers so I cannot say.

The village is a beautiful area, but it may be possible to live right outside the village, say in West Bay Shore, and be in the same general nice area without the village taxes. See if you can find out what Brightwaters offers it residents and if it is worth it to you.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:12 PM

63 posts, read 297,956 times
that's my question.......are there any perks to living in brightwaters vs. bay shore or west bay shore?

thanks!

Old 06-01-2010, 02:25 PM

880 posts, read 2,024,212 times
Walter
What Islip taxes is brightwaters shielded from?You pay the same rate plus village taxes.Go to MLSLI and look

Old 06-01-2010, 03:05 PM

592 posts, read 1,813,628 times
OP, you could try to find out (from a phone book or the web or a realtor) if Brightwaters has a "Village of Brightwaters" office or their own Chamber of Commerce. I think all Villages do have something like that. Once you reach such an office ask them if they have any written literature on The Village of Brightwaters that they could send to your friend. And, ask whoever answers the phone if they could connect you to someone who could tell you what The Village offers it's residents.

I lived, and raised our children, in a different Village on the south shore for many years. The Village perks were that we had our own snowplows and fabulous and fast snow removal, our own police department who, because they were based so locally, answered any call in record time, the same thing went for the EMTs and ambulance corp. We had our own town workers so the town ALWAYS was clean, potholes fixed quickly, road lines kept painted, streets swept by a street sweeper, public lawns mowed, etc. We also had our own Village Beach and Dock (don't know if that applies to Brightwaters, though). Besides all that the small town village feeling that pervaded the teams (no matter the age of the kids or the sport), churches, parades, schools, local shops, our library, etc. was wonderful. Eventually you recognize almost everyone wherever you go in the village and living there becomes a real supportive feeling of "home". I also loved the quaint parks, lakes and scenery of our village. I think lots of those things might also apply to Brightwaters.

Would I ever live in a Village again and pay some added taxes--without a doubt ABSOLUTELY!

I wish your friend well in the decision.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:39 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej64 View Post
Walter
What Islip taxes is brightwaters shielded from?You pay the same rate plus village taxes.Go to MLSLI and look
Not certain but typically things like garbage collection are negotiated separately. In doing so, a village resident would not have to pay twice to Town of Islip. So there are still Town taxes, just some of the services are not added onto the bill. Not always cheaper of course. Depends.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:46 AM

347 posts, read 1,351,751 times
What is great about living in a village is that you have much more direct access to the local government. You can go to the village meetings and very easily raise concerns, talk to the mayor, etc. Although it does not necessarily mean you'll get your issue resolved! If you try to get something done in a Town, its much harder and there is much more buearacracy to deal with.

I would pick Brightwaters hands down over Bay Shore. But you'll pay more for Brightwaters. I have always liked West Bay Shore, right next to Brightwaters, as well.

I live in a village myself and would prefer to stay in a village if I chose to move in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island