Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 02:12 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Great Post! I never thought of Farmingdale schools as bad and I grew up not far away playing them in HS sports in the 80's and I now live in Massapequa Park so I understand the N Mass issues. To start, it sounds like the OP got a great deal.

Two of my cousins graduated from there in the mid 80's and went to West Point. They always have top notch sports in Division I Nassau. I don't have any details on what the schools are like except a few people I know that live there and I doubt they would be in a 'bad' area.

Love that they added a Croxleys there. One thing I always found weird: isnt part of the town in each county? I guess like Amityville though that must be a little interesting for some.
Yeah, I grew up in the same general area too and knew a few people who graduated from F-Dale....never had the slightest clue it was considered any different from nearby districts (Bethpage, Plainedge, Island Trees, etc.) until I started reading this forum. I think it's probably just ridiculous internet over-analysis that says Farmingdale schools are any "less desirable" than those other districts and in the real world most people still consider it solid. Always loved Main Street, Lenox Hills, Bollinger's....great location, too - good train service to Manhattan and close to everything.

The school district covers both sides of the county line, but the Village of Farmingdale is only on the Nassau side. If you're in Suffolk it's East Farmingdale, which is an unincorporated area in the Town of Babylon. I've noticed on News 12 and in Newsday they have been noting the distinction between the two (and "South Farmingdale") more frequently, so Walter Greenspan's geography crusade and angry letters must be doing some good, LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 10:20 AM

405 posts, read 1,163,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBucks View Post
I can remember race riots at the HS when I went there back in the very early 1980's - I guess things have not changed too much!
Sorry, no "race riots" lately, seems like some of the kids have found more interesting things to do:

U.S. Dept. of Energy Science Bowl

Nassau "A" Champs boys lacrosse

Nassau "A" champs girls lacrosse - 5th consecutive

LI Golf boys champs

Last edited by LilTownBlues; 06-06-2010 at 10:37 AM..

Old 06-06-2010, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Always enjoy your posts, LTB

Regarding the test scores, they may be middle of the road stacked against all other districts on LI....but keep in mind they are still only mere percentage points away from districts that most people consider amongst the best on the island. I don't think you really get into "bad district" territory until the test scores get much, MUCH worse than they do at Farmingdale.....
Thanks seanx4, to you as well.

You are correct, but people will choose to believe what they wish regardless of what the complete facts may be.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Great Post! I never thought of Farmingdale schools as bad and I grew up not far away playing them in HS sports in the 80's and I now live in Massapequa Park so I understand the N Mass issues. To start, it sounds like the OP got a great deal.

Two of my cousins graduated from there in the mid 80's and went to West Point. They always have top notch sports in Division I Nassau. I don't have any details on what the schools are like except a few people I know that live there and I doubt they would be in a 'bad' area.

Love that they added a Croxleys there. One thing I always found weird: isnt part of the town in each county? I guess like Amityville though that must be a little interesting for some.
Yeah, but I heard from my sister's friend's niece's ex-boyfriend who worked with a guy who said the area is baaaaadddddd, and I know it's true because I drove by the exit on the expressway and someone didn't signal when the took the exit ramp.

As seanx4 said, Main St. is a pretty cool strip, although they may have to change it to "Wing St." cause now we have Fatty Beltbuckles, Croxleys, and Wings Over Farmingdale all within a block of each other.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:11 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
One thing I always found weird: isnt part of the town in each county?

Not the village, but the 11735 ZIP Code postal zone is on both sides of the Nassau/Suffolk county line.

Farmingdale is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village:

Places that have a "Farmingdale, NY 11735" mailing address that are not in the Village of Farmingdale are in the Hamlet of South Farmingdale and the Hamlet of Plainedge, as well as in the Hamlet of Old Bethpage in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County; and, in the Hamlet of East Farmingdale and the Hamlet of Wyandanch in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I've noticed on News 12 and in Newsday they have been noting the distinction between the two (and "South Farmingdale") more frequently, so Walter Greenspan's geography crusade and angry letters must be doing some good, LOL :D
From your mouth to G-d's ear, sean X 4.

(Angry letters ???)

Old 06-06-2010, 02:22 PM

280 posts, read 247,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
As seanx4 said, Main St. is a pretty cool strip, although they may have to change it to "Wing St." cause now we have Fatty Beltbuckles, Croxleys, and Wings Over Farmingdale all within a block of each other.
Which place has the best wings in your opinion?

Old 06-06-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
From your mouth to G-d's ear, sean X 4.

(Angry letters ???)
Didn't you once say that you send complaints to local media any time they misreport a location? Every time I see "East Farmingdale" or "Salisbury", etc. on News 12 I think "Walter must have got to them" LOL...

Old 06-06-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Didn't you once say that you send complaints to local media any time they misreport a location?

Yes, I do send eMails; but, it wouldn't have the desired effect if they were "angry".

Here's a recent example of these eMails ...

Quote:
Subj: Clarke High School in Westbury wins mock trial tourney
Date: 6/5/10
To: michael.ebert@newsday.com

Michael Ebert
Reporter
NEWSDAY

In the first paragraph, you write, "A team from W. Tresper Clarke High School in Westbury .... "

W. Tresper Clarke High School is in Salisbury ("Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address).

In other words, if you want to send a letter to someone at W. Tresper Clarke High School, you would address this letter to "Westbury, NY 11590"; however, if you want to actually go to W. Tresper Clarke High School, you would go to Salisbury.

It is important to understand that ...

First, Westbury is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where most of the places that have the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village: places that have a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address that are not in the Village of Westbury are in the Hamlet of Jericho and the Hamlet of Hicksville in the Town of Oyster Bay; the Hamlet of Carle Place and the Hamlet of New Cassel in the Town of North Hempstead; and, the Hamlet of Salisbury, the Hamlet of East Garden City and the Hamlet of East Meadow in the Town of Hempstead.

Second, Salisbury is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: most places in the Hamlet of Salisbury have a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address, while a small slice in the eastern part of Salisbury have a "Levittown, NY 11756" mailing address.

The pertinent geography:

In 1990, Salisbury, previously known as South Westbury, was renamed and also combined with the part of the Hamlet of East Meadow that was in the "Westbury, NY 11590" and "Levittown, NY 11756" postal zones.

Salisbury is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast section of the Town of Hempstead, in the central part of Nassau County, where the Town of Hempstead converges with the Towns of North Hempstead and Oyster Bay.
I don't think this is "angry".

(I also copy in several of the editors, in addition to the reporter(s) that wrote the story.)

Old 06-06-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Yes, I do send eMails; but, it wouldn't have the desired effect if they were "angry".

Here's a recent example of these eMails ...

I don't think this is "angry".

(I also copy in several of the editors, in addition to the reporter(s) that wrote the story.)
True, true.....do you ever hear back from any of them?

I think you really may be having an effect. It wasn't until the last few years that I have ever even heard of some of these places. I know the news still gets it "wrong" a lot of the time, but I am noticing them using the "correct" geography more and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island