Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:09 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
That section has always been considered East Setauket and is in the Three Village SD, even by the Post Office. It is not Port Jefferson Station.
You might want to take that up with the Suffolk County Planning Department, because, according to the Suffolk County Planning Department and, through them, the Census Bureau, it's in Port Jefferson Station ("East Setauket, NY 11733" mailing address).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 11:52 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,220 times
Well, whatever, Walter, I was just trying to help the OP and it was from your original post of your map and it's title written in bold letters that I deducted the street was in PJS. I personally assumed for the last 19 years that Bobcat was in East Setauket and in Three Village School District. It was your post that made me think anything other than that. If the house the OP is interested in on Bobcat has an E. Setauket mailing address and if her children would be in the Three Village School District, which again is only what I'm trying to gather from your more recent post above me, why on earth would she care if it's somehow TECHNICALLY in PJS?!! And, I don't understand how a house can have a mailing address with a corresponding school district and yet it's technically located in yet another town altogether? Just doesn't make sense to me, but I have no idea where you get your maps from.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:10 AM

347 posts, read 1,352,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
Well, whatever, Walter, I was just trying to help the OP and it was from your original post of your map and it's title written in bold letters that I deducted the street was in PJS. I personally assumed for the last 19 years that Bobcat was in East Setauket and in Three Village School District. It was your post that made me think anything other than that. If the house the OP is interested in on Bobcat has an E. Setauket mailing address and if her children would be in the Three Village School District, which again is only what I'm trying to gather from your more recent post above me, why on earth would she care if it's somehow TECHNICALLY in PJS?!! And, I don't understand how a house can have a mailing address with a corresponding school district and yet it's technically located in yet another town altogether? Just doesn't make sense to me, but I have no idea where you get your maps from.
I for one appreciate Walter's posts. Keep them coming Walter!

Old 06-03-2010, 06:48 AM

11 posts, read 21,525 times
Bobcat is an East Setauket address w/ 11733 zip code. most DEFINITELY 3vlg schools - minnesauke elem/gelinas/ward melville. Setauket post office. It is NOT port jefferson station, I don't care what suffolk county says, we know they are morons . I live in this section (the other side of old town though) and my original survey states Heatherwood Village North EAST SETAUKET.

I think that area is nicer than the one off arrowhead. There are houses off of Old Town (Dorothy) that are PJS mailing addresses but do go to 3 Village.

It is a safe area - as a pp said, its not the nicest part of Setauket -a lot of original owners are moving out and young families are moving in and fixing the houses (myself included) - but the "worst" part of Setauket is a hell of a lot better than other places in the area!

Old 06-03-2010, 06:51 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
I think some of you need to realize the wonder of the ignore list.

It's a beautiful thing.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:12 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraJ333 View Post
Hi,

We are looking at a house for sale on Bobcat Ln. in E. Setauket-is this area okay or should we avoid it? The house itself looks very nice.

TIA!
My only concerns for that neighborhood would be (in no order of importance)

1) Any leaks from the industrial park backing up the houses on Bobcat.
2) Noise from the aforementioned businesses.
3) The Greenway which intersects that area of Setauket. It runs between Setauket and PJS. My personal concern is who is hanging out back there at night? Teens looking to get into trouble? Someone looking to break into a house and flee on foot? As of now I haven't heard of any issues, but it is still relatively new.

A few of my children's friends live on the other side in the Beaver/Mink area and I haven't noticed noise over there, but then they are a little further from the industrial park.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:12 AM

112 posts, read 249,014 times
Make sure that there are no Frat Houses or rentals on the block. Look for excessive amount of parked cars and drive by the neighborhood the at night/weekends. Keep in mind only summer college courses are going on, so ask the neighbors.

E.Setauket is great, the is a new walking trail off of Gnarled Hollow/Town Line Rd, your only 2-3 miles from West Meadow Beach and downtown Port Jeff Village.

E.S. is also a respectable distance of about 6-7 miles to the Smithhaven Mall and other shopping. North of Rt 25a has a very nice historic district homes, parks and library. I would also look in this area for any bargains. There was one home last year that had water views of the bay from the second floor but the taxes were less then $4000 a year.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:18 AM

11 posts, read 21,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My only concerns for that neighborhood would be (in no order of importance)

1) Any leaks from the industrial park backing up the houses on Bobcat.
2) Noise from the aforementioned businesses.
3) The Greenway which intersects that area of Setauket. It runs between Setauket and PJS. My personal concern is who is hanging out back there at night? Teens looking to get into trouble? Someone looking to break into a house and flee on foot? As of now I haven't heard of any issues, but it is still relatively new.

A few of my children's friends live on the other side in the Beaver/Mink area and I haven't noticed noise over there, but then they are a little further from the industrial park.

this is an accurate list - I am on the "Mink" side so there is not much noise, may be a concern depending where on Bobcat you are. where I am there are no frat houses (this is why we didn't buy in parts of stony brook at the same price point) on my block, not sure about bobcat.

we were concerned about the greenway in terms of kids hanging out. it has been the opposite - less kids hang out near "the pit" bc there are so many families/older couples using the path. we are very happy w/ the trail there. my entire block is either original owners who's kids are grown or young families. there are a few spots in the neighborhood (the "normal" high ranches) that rent to one or two SBU kids, but no loud parties or any craziness has ensued.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Well, whatever, Walter, I was just trying to help the OP and it was from your original post of your map and it's title written in bold letters that I deducted the street was in PJS.
The map was a map of the Hamlet of Port Jefferson Station, not a map of the "Port Jefferson Station, NY 11776" ZIP Code postal zone, and was immediately preceded by the explanation that Bobcat Lane was in Port Jefferson Station ("East Setauket, NY 11733" mailing address).

Quote:
If the house the OP is interested in on Bobcat has an E. Setauket mailing address and if her children would be in the Three Village School District, which again is only what I'm trying to gather from your more recent post above me, why on earth would she care if it's somehow TECHNICALLY in PJS?!!
The OP may or may not, but only the OP can answer that question.

Quote:
And, I don't understand how a house can have a mailing address with a corresponding school district and yet it's technically located in yet another town altogether?
There are many places that have an "East Setauket, NY 11733" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Setauket-East Setauket (concomitant with the 1980 Federal census, the Hamlet of East Setauket, the Hamlet of Setauket and the Hamlet of South Setauket were combined to form the unified Hamlet of Setauket-East Setauket).

In addition to the Hamlet of Port Jefferson Station, those places that have an "East Setauket, NY 11733" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Setauket-East Setauket are in the Village of Poquott and the Village of Old Field; AND, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Setauket-East Setauket with a "Stony Brook, NY 11790", "Port Jefferson, NY 11777" and "Port Jefferson Station, NY 11776" mailing address.

In trying to understand the geography of Lawn Guyland, rule no. 1: Never assume that a place is actually located in the community in that place's mailing address; and, rule no. 2, rule no. 3, rule no. 4 ... rule no. 999: See rule no. 1.

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 2 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Quote:
Just doesn't make sense to me, but I have no idea where you get your maps from.
I get the maps from Wikipedia, which copies them directly from the Census Bureau, who, in turn, gets them from the Suffolk County Planning Department.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
I for one appreciate Walter's posts. Keep them coming Walter! :ok:
You're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island