Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:44 PM

126 posts, read 522,346 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of buying a house in Massapequa, as a first time home buyer i wanted to get some opinions on the best way to remove or deal with asbestos tiles in basement floor. the floor has some signs of efflorescence. The home inspection showed "possible asbestos" tiles in the basement, but the tiles have not been tested to make sure they are in fact asbestos tiles. My concern is that there is a small section shown in the picture were the tiles have broken. I challenged my inspector on it as he said, they could be asbestos, but pose no danger unless they are disturbed. My question to him was: aren't they already disturbed? He said i shouldn't worry too much because the particles aren't big enough to become airborne. One of the very first projects i wanted to undertake was to demo the basement walls and ceilings that are sheetrocked. After reading some posts on asbestos tiles, i am not sure anymore if i want to do any work near the "possible asbestos" tiles. Do these pose a current danger being that they are breaking? the house was built in 1956, and i am pretty sure those are original tiles. Should i be concerned about any possible asbestos fiber floating in the air not only in the basement but the rest of the house? Am i going to die?
Attached Thumbnails
Asbestos tile in basement-asbestos_tile.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 04:31 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
Are they 9 inch by 9 inch?

Old 06-07-2010, 06:49 AM

Yes, they are 9x9. The inspector recommended i floor over them, but i don't think is a smart idea to do so before correcting the obvious moisture problems first.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:01 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
They are most likely asbestos tiles with 9-30% asbestos. The asbestos fibers are imbedded in vinyl so its is rare that they become aireborne or friable. With that said grinding, sanding or breaking into small pieces is not recommended. Removing them should be done with care as to not to break the tile as little as possible. Proper ventilation, sealing of living areas and masks should be used.

Application of dry ice helps the tiles "pop off" whole. Some of the black glue may also heve asbestos in it.

I agree that the water penetration and the wiring (pic) must be addressed 1st.

The EPA recommends leaving the tiles if they are in a "non-friable" condition.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:09 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,212 times
Do you know how thick are these tiles ?

Old 06-07-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Do you know how thick are these tiles ?
I honestly don't have an idea on how think they are. Can anyone recommend a good abetement company to do this job. Me being a first time home buyer and give the health risk associated with the job, i think i best left to a professional that can guarantee no asbestos fibers are released into the air.

Kbinspections, from the picture above, do you think this asbestos tiles are in a non-friable condition?

Old 06-07-2010, 08:46 AM

852 posts, read 2,017,108 times
Default Danger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
They are most likely asbestos tiles with 9-30% asbestos. The asbestos fibers are imbedded in vinyl so its is rare that they become aireborne or friable. With that said grinding, sanding or breaking into small pieces is not recommended. Removing them should be done with care as to not to break the tile as little as possible. Proper ventilation, sealing of living areas and masks should be used.

Application of dry ice helps the tiles "pop off" whole. Some of the black glue may also heve asbestos in it.

KB, how much danger are we really talking about? I took out some old drywall, I'm told, had asbestos in it. I've taken out cellulose ceiling tile that I fear had asbestos. I know my siding has asbestos, and I HAD to bust some of that to switch out windows.

What kind of a risk am I looking at?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:11 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
If you grind them up and snort them there is a slim chance they may affect you. I had the same vintage 50's tiles in my kitchen, with just a wide sharp putty knife they all popped up with no problem. From the moisture in the picture there is a good chance that yours will come up even easier.

Most older home may contain a product that use asbestos fibers as a binding agent, similar to fiberglass used today. My last home had asbestos shingles and my schools all had it in the ceiling tiles, it really was everywhere.

If you want piece of mind then have a piece tested and decide what route you want to take from there. I don't question the potential danger but most problems have appeared from industrial/commerial enviroments when the person had long term exposure.

Your picture could have been my moms house right down to the faux mahagony paneling.

Last edited by VA Yankee; 06-07-2010 at 10:19 AM..

Old 06-07-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
I agree thaI agree that the water penetration and the wiring (pic) must be addressed 1st.t the water penetration and the wiring (pic) must be addressed 1st.
I really have no idea how to address this problem with this tiles on the way; they will be on the way of anyone trying to install any kind of waterproofing paint or sealant. I don't think the problem is severe enough to grant installation of a french drain and/or water pump, and i am hoping that regrading the property, cleaning out the gutters and installing proper downspouts takes care of this issue. the inspector recomended regrading the north east corner of the property as he thought it sloped towards the foundation slightly. I don't really see it, but he did.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:04 AM

431 posts, read 1,310,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post

KB, when you inspected my house you never mentioned anything about the asbestos tiles I had in my basement or kitchen. I had to have someone else tell me, thankfully they did before I started busted that stuff apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island