Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 09:33 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Town officials should enact minimum wage laws similar to that in the City of San Francisco which pays all minimum wage employees 9.79 per hour. There will always be cons that come along with it- but you will not start to see business running from Roosevelt Field, or the Americana, or the giant Megaplexes of Western LI.

It's time that private industries, many of whom OWN (and have owned for 50 years) the buildings they conduct business in, pay their employees a living wage on the Island.

"Living wage" is a political, not an economic, term.

The so-called "living wage" does more damage than good by raising the wage level above the market entry wage level, thereby preventing those with limited skills, whose economic value to an employer is less than the "living wage" from getting their initial job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 01:57 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
Before we bought our house, we were looking for apartment. I would say 1500 for a decent 1 bedroom apartment. I guess it depends where you are looking, but this was in Farmingdale etc. And most of the apartments didn't include utilities. The only thing that I wasn't looking at were basement apartments.

I would have loved to have found a 1200 apartment.

Anyway, back to the original question, I don't know how people who work for minimum wage live on LI. When we looked in Patchogue back when housing prices were insane, we saw a house where every room had a separate lock, even a closet! And, each room was rented to a different person. So I guess if you are living fifteen to a house it's cheap and we used to have a house like this on our old block in Farmingdale with at least ten people living in the house.

The OP was talking about ILLEGAL rentals. You could have easily found an illegal 1BR apartment in Farmingdale for 1k or so. Farmingdale isn't all that prestigious.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:32 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Before we bought our house, we were looking for apartment. I would say 1500 for a decent 1 bedroom apartment. I guess it depends where you are looking, but this was in Farmingdale etc. And most of the apartments didn't include utilities. The only thing that I wasn't looking at were basement apartments.

I would have loved to have found a 1200 apartment.

Anyway, back to the original question, I don't know how people who work for minimum wage live on LI. When we looked in Patchogue back when housing prices were insane, we saw a house where every room had a separate lock, even a closet! And, each room was rented to a different person. So I guess if you are living fifteen to a house it's cheap and we used to have a house like this on our old block in Farmingdale with at least ten people living in the house.

"When I had work done on my house, (before I got married, other house that I inherited)"

Why would you have looked for an apartment, if you had inherited a house?

Old 06-20-2010, 05:22 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
You would see a further cost of living increase on Long Island.

One solution would at least be to build affordable housing for the kids to live in so they wouldn't have to leave Long Island, as many do. But I don't know how you would prevent this new "low income" housing to be a place for illegal immigrants and people collecting welfare.
Fair housing laws make any kind of discrimination extremely difficult (that doesn't mean it's non-existent...)

Old 06-20-2010, 05:36 PM

456 posts, read 1,122,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
"When I had work done on my house, (before I got married, other house that I inherited)"

Why would you have looked for an apartment, if you had inherited a house?
If you need to know, my mom lives upstairs (I pay the bills etc). My husband did not want to live with my mom and she will be there forever because that's where she wants to be and I will honor that and honor my husband's wishes.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
If you need to know, my mom lives upstairs (I pay the bills etc). My husband did not want to live with my mom and she will be there forever because that's where she wants to be and I will honor that and honor my husband's wishes.
Why didn't you live downstairs?

Old 06-20-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Why didn't you live downstairs?
I would have considering I pay most of the bills for the house anyway, but my husband didn't want to live downstairs from his mother in law. And, to respect my husband, I honored his decision. He's a good (fantastic, the best ever, fabulous..sigh I love my husband) guy and not worth making miserable.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I would have considering I pay most of the bills for the house anyway, but my husband didn't want to live downstairs from his mother in law. And, to respect my husband, I honored his decision. He's a good (fantastic, the best ever, fabulous..sigh I love my husband) guy and not worth making miserable.
Somebody must live there. I'm sure their rent takes care of many bills.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Somebody must live there. I'm sure their rent takes care of many bills.
My stuff lives there. It's a mother daughter and would be illegal to rent it I'm assuming and my mom would make any tenant there insane. I do love my mom, just telling the truth here. It's an expensive proposition but I saved money from working in NYC so its ok for now.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
My stuff lives there. It's a mother daughter and would be illegal to rent it I'm assuming and my mom would make any tenant there insane. I do love my mom, just telling the truth here. It's an expensive proposition but I saved money from working in NYC so its ok for now.
Why did the inheritance of the house skip a generation to you instead of to your mom from your grandparents in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island