Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:55 AM

43 posts, read 91,807 times

Advertisements

I'm bored of the UK, its basically the pits.

Having never been to LA, I don't really know the bad areas from the good however I like the look of Venice.

Currently in the UK, I earn about $45,000 per year but I'd be looking at contract work in the USA for 6 months or so which will earn about $7,500 per month.

Can anyone recommend a good area of LA with lots of bars, restaurants and clubs nearby that I could afford to rent with the income? I don't really want to end up in "da hood" or whatever its called as I have no intention of becoming a crip or a blood (the fact that I'm white and English might place barriers in the way of that).

The only images I've got of LA are Google Street View, Californication and a 2nd hand opinion of a guy who's been there (you need a car, there are some awesome parts and some horrific parts).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 08:28 AM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,407 times
A really cool place right next to Venice is Marina del Rey... lots of bars and restaurants and apartments... stuff to do in a better part of the city.

Marina del Rey - The Official Visitors Site for Marina del Rey California

Venice has its charm, but its an older community... not enough free public parking.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:23 AM

Wow, that looks stunning... Thanks, I'll have a look round.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:32 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
where is the office that you will be working out of? you are not going to want to live in venice and have to commute daily across the city to hollywood or burbank.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
where is the office that you will be working out of? you are not going to want to live in venice and have to commute daily across the city to hollywood or burbank.
I've just seen a position in Culver City, which from Google doesn't look that far away from the marina. Is traffic a pain in the arse to there? I've heard public transport isn't great in LA...

This place looks like my idea of somewhere to live:

http://www.trulia.com/rental/3014813...l-Rey-CA-90292

Beats a suburban house in northern England that's for sure.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:53 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
so you don't have a job yet. hmmmm, that changes things quite a bit. unemployemnt in LA is somewhere around 12%, so be ready to spend a lot of your savings while you're looking for a job. also, don't count on being able to land a job while you're across the pond, employers have plenty of options much closer to home. maybe you'll get lucky, but i wouldn't count on it.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
so you don't have a job yet. hmmmm, that changes things quite a bit. unemployemnt in LA is somewhere around 12%, so be ready to spend a lot of your savings while you're looking for a job. also, don't count on being able to land a job while you're across the pond, employers have plenty of options much closer to home. maybe you'll get lucky, but i wouldn't count on it.
That is quite high.

I've got some money behind me (about $22,000) and the plan is to get a flight out, book into a hotel and apply for all the contracts I can find. If it doesn't work out after a couple of months no big deal, I'll move back here.

If things go well and I get a good job I'll look for a place to rent and possibly sell my house here.

I haven't got any ties whatsoever, and before I get too old I want to do something like this before its too late.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:27 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,407 times
Happy you liked the Marina...

Here's a website that gives details about the bus service in LA.

Metro | Around | LA Metro Home

Have you ever considered working on a cruise ship? I've been on a couple of them and it seems there are a lot of young foreigners who work on them. Might also be something fun to do... travel on a fun ship. Here's a really nice cruise line.

Royal Caribbean International: Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals & Cruise Vacations - Royal Caribbean International

Ships sail out of San Pedro.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:47 PM

4 posts, read 43,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSWFC View Post
That is quite high.

I've got some money behind me (about $22,000) and the plan is to get a flight out, book into a hotel and apply for all the contracts I can find. If it doesn't work out after a couple of months no big deal, I'll move back here.

If things go well and I get a good job I'll look for a place to rent and possibly sell my house here.

I haven't got any ties whatsoever, and before I get too old I want to do something like this before its too late.
You really need to look into the Visa situation. You can't just fly out and hope for work. Look at some of the expat forums.

Do some more research.

Yvonne - expat in LA.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylsw31 View Post
You really need to look into the Visa situation. You can't just fly out and hope for work. Look at some of the expat forums.

Do some more research.

Yvonne - expat in LA.
I'm aware of the Visa situation, the reason for posting on here was to find out about neighbourhoods from people who live here and where would suit someone like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles