Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 10:27 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaGaZzAcCiO View Post
I would say it really depends on exactly what your looking for. From what you mentioned it seems like you really wanna live your life on the water. Ive traveled around both states and loved them both. I love California especially its weather but when it comes down to actual beaches and living a life on the water, I think the Florida is the better choice for many reasons.

First and foremost, I'm not a big fan of cold water. I see the beach as something thats very therapeutic and cold water just doesn't make me very happy. I'm sure a lot of other people can say the same. Here out east you can go in the water in a warm summer day and it can seriously feel like bathwater. You can stay in there for hours without any kind of wet suit. Florida also has gorgeous clear water which you don't find out west, as well as gorgeous coral reefs if you're into snorkeling which you don't find much of out west either due to cold and violent waters. You mentioned you wanted to get a boat, well the boating community is huge in Florida. All the houses that sit on the intracostal waterway all have a boat dock. Florida has a huge costal community where California (especially LA) is more of just a city with a beach.

Last but not least, from the lifestyle you seem to want you obviously wouldn't want to go to LA. If you are gonna choose Cali then San Diego would be a much much better fit for you...especially if you are more into the water. But in short California beaches are mostly about surfing and not much more. Every time i went there I didn't see anyone doing much on the beach except surfing. I would suggest visiting both places again and look at them as if you were to live there and see which one fits what you want more. I hope this helps.. Good luck!
You are under-representing the water scene in southern California. Plenty of people swim in the ocean especially during summer when water temps are in the 60's & 70's. I agree with you that Florida has wonderful beaches of clean\ clear & comfortable water. The Gulf Stream also goes up the Atlantic coastline and provides fairly comfortable ocean temps even off Boston. But the Atlanta ocean also cools down very fast once summer is over and ocean water readings in the 40's are common well beyond the Carolinas. The Pacific ocean is downright chilly but it stays warmer during winter than areas south of Georgia.

Water temps during summer aren't that cold. Here's the current ocean temps:
Los Angeles 71.2F
San Diego 70.9F
US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

These people don't look like they are freezing:

There's also a lot of boating. Here is Marina Del Rey\ Los Angeles but Long Beach\ Balboa Island\ Catalina Island\ Newport Beach harbor\ San Diego-Pt Loma are very large boating communities:

Here's San Diego:

And the real reason people love the beaches of California: waves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 10:59 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,941 times
Those California beaches are definitely pretty, but they could never compare to Florida's:

http://www.mytravelmag.com/images/sanibel-island-beach-shells.jpg (broken link)

In my opinion, SoCal's beaches are WAY too built-up - they make Florida's beaches look like paradise. And yes, I've been to beaches all over FL and CA.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:12 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
Those California beaches are definitely pretty, but they could never compare to Florida's:

In my opinion, SoCal's beaches are WAY too built-up - they make Florida's beaches look like paradise. And yes, I've been to beaches all over FL and CA.
Those are great photos! I have some of Miami and a lot of photos of San Juan\ Puerto Rico. The coconut palms and blue water are gorgeous. But the wave action is lacking. Yes, the southern California coastline is all built up and getting worse. The only stretch of open beach land left is between Oceanside and San Onofre [and that's because it is a Marine base]. It is a toss-up over what state has the most beautiful beaches. But I am partial to the mountains against the sea as the most dramatic.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:31 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Funny how I saw lots of people at the California Beach pictures but none in the Florida pictures. Also where are the waves? Notice all the boats in the California picks? Someone owns them. I know I own one.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah1979 View Post
Sorry buddy, but someone from Florida who now lives in California, there is no comparison. Every other household in Florida seems to own a boat...just not the case here. I can't find anyone who owns one and to dock a boat is outrageous!
I am not sure how that can be since the state of Florida has 974,553 registered boats. 1 boat per 18.56 people

California for reference has 858,853 registered boats. 1 boat per 42.45 people

Old 06-16-2010, 11:44 PM

206 posts, read 416,665 times
Also remember FL has high humidity. If you plan to stay out a lot, that does make a difference. But yes in FL,you can get into the water even in winter and there are a lot of channels there and so many houses had boat docks.

But here too Ventura and Marina del ray all have harbours . So that is not an issue. You do have mountains here and very wide varying terrain. Drive give or take half a day and you end up in the grand canyon or redwood forests, waterfalls and mountains, deserts, snow etc. Very varied terrain here. I am not sure about the harbours down here, but up in the bay area, you could rent/live in a boathouse that docked in the bay.

You have a lot more variety here. Mountains , very different beaches, no hurricanes, very less humidity. Then you also have to deal with traffic, the occasional earthquake and the occasional fire. Plus the water is cold-I get in and stay about 15-20 min. FL that was never issue-although I was once stung by a jellyfish!!

I miss the warm FL waters, but certainly don't miss the hurricane season!

Old 06-17-2010, 07:09 AM

427 posts, read 1,093,518 times
Beautiful beaches, but I think I'd get lonely there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
You are under-representing the water scene in southern California. Plenty of people swim in the ocean especially during summer when water temps are in the 60's & 70's. I agree with you that Florida has wonderful beaches of clean\ clear & comfortable water. The Gulf Stream also goes up the Atlantic coastline and provides fairly comfortable ocean temps even off Boston. But the Atlanta ocean also cools down very fast once summer is over and ocean water readings in the 40's are common well beyond the Carolinas. The Pacific ocean is downright chilly but it stays warmer during winter than areas south of Georgia.

Water temps during summer aren't that cold. Here's the current ocean temps:
Los Angeles 71.2F
San Diego 70.9F
US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

These people don't look like they are freezing:

There's also a lot of boating. Here is Marina Del Rey\ Los Angeles but Long Beach\ Balboa Island\ Catalina Island\ Newport Beach harbor\ San Diego-Pt Loma are very large boating communities:

Here's San Diego:

And the real reason people love the beaches of California: waves!

Old 06-17-2010, 07:18 AM

427 posts, read 1,093,518 times
Lonely on those serene Florida beaches that is. But I finally came to terms with myself, I'm not a very serene person.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:07 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,825 times
If you could take the best of California beaches (surf, scenic topography, low humidity) and combine it with the best of Fla beaches (warm, clear water & white sand) you would have PARADISE.

Oh wait, I think that place is called HAWAII.....

Old 06-17-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
If you could take the best of California beaches (surf, scenic topography, low humidity) and combine it with the best of Fla beaches (warm, clear water & white sand) you would have PARADISE.

Oh wait, I think that place is called HAWAII.....
Now we have to compete with Hawaii? You are so correct there though. I say we forget this Florida, California thing and head over to the Islands to sit on the beach and contemplate who has the best beaches while we sip a beverage of choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles