Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 03:38 AM

12 posts, read 38,305 times

Advertisements

I have to stay one night at a hotel near LAX (Hacienda Hotel, 525 North Sepulveda Boulevard, (corner of East Mariposa Ave). I'm trying to figure out how to get there (I'm not renting a car), and I see that Mariposa Metro Rail station is not too far away. Is it safe to walk from the station west on East Mariposa Ave? I'm a solo female, and it'll be during daylight in the afternoon.

I apologize in advance if my question is stupid or insulting, I'm not familiar with LA at all and when looking at maps the area is bordering areas that are not recommended for tourists. I looked at Google Map street view and it seems to be warehouses, parking lots and construction sites along that road, and it's difficult to tell if it would be safe (at least during the day) or dangerous.

Also, I need to eat in the evening, I see that there are several places to eat across the street from the hotel. Any recommentations for a place? I'm dining alone so informal is best.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Solvi; 06-10-2010 at 04:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 06:46 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solvi View Post
I have to stay one night at a hotel near LAX (Hacienda Hotel, 525 North Sepulveda Boulevard, (corner of East Mariposa Ave). I'm trying to figure out how to get there (I'm not renting a car), and I see that Mariposa Metro Rail station is not too far away. Is it safe to walk from the station west on East Mariposa Ave? I'm a solo female, and it'll be during daylight in the afternoon.

I apologize in advance if my question is stupid or insulting, I'm not familiar with LA at all and when looking at maps the area is bordering areas that are not recommended for tourists. I looked at Google Map street view and it seems to be warehouses, parking lots and construction sites along that road, and it's difficult to tell if it would be safe (at least during the day) or dangerous.

Also, I need to eat in the evening, I see that there are several places to eat across the street from the hotel. Any recommentations for a place? I'm dining alone so informal is best.

Thanks in advance!
Yes it is safe during the daylight afternoon as that is a very busy area, lots of employees, business traffic.

Lots of places to eat within two blocks. However, better yet, if you could walk about a mile west on Mariposa to Main Street El Segundo, you'll find a bunch of really nice mom and pop restaurants, outdoor cafes, free wireless. Walking west would be through residential El Segundo - also probably pretty safe. Perhaps your hotel has a courtesy shuttle to take you to Main Street? (Maybe shuttle can pick up up at train station too?)

Old 06-10-2010, 09:47 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,093,996 times
that hotel does have a courtesy shuttle, i've seen it driving in the airport area multiple times.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,812,123 times
It's completely safe to walk from the Mariposa rail station to the Hacienda Hotel. I work in that area and couldn't feel much safer. If you want a good Southern California dining option a short walk away from the hotel, check out Rubios and get yourself some fish tacos! The Habit is also nearby and has some tasty hamburgers.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:51 AM

Thanks! Excellent information.

I didn't even know that there was a restaurant area in central El Segundo and I'll definitively check it out. I like to walk so a mile is no problem. Good to have some recs for places to eat close to my hotel too. Fish tacos are good! There is only bad Mexican food here in Norway so I plan to eat a lot of it when I'm in the US! Again, thanks!

Old 06-11-2010, 04:58 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,034,201 times
Like they said, it has a nice little mix of places to go. Small city, but good choices. I feel safe walking there.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:20 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,812,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solvi View Post
Thanks! Excellent information.

I didn't even know that there was a restaurant area in central El Segundo and I'll definitively check it out. I like to walk so a mile is no problem. Good to have some recs for places to eat close to my hotel too. Fish tacos are good! There is only bad Mexican food here in Norway so I plan to eat a lot of it when I'm in the US! Again, thanks!
If you can catch the Beach Cities Transit Line 109:

City of Redondo Beach Website - Line 109

A visit to Manhattan Beach would well be worth your while.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:55 PM

215 posts, read 471,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
It's completely safe to walk from the Mariposa rail station to the Hacienda Hotel. I work in that area and couldn't feel much safer. If you want a good Southern California dining option a short walk away from the hotel, check out Rubios and get yourself some fish tacos! The Habit is also nearby and has some tasty hamburgers.
Hey LASam, its chrisla from ssp.

For some reason I thought you lived and worked in the Santa Monica area. Anyway I also work in the area near the Redondo Beach Performance Arts Center.

To the original poster, yes it's pretty safe in the area near the train station. I used to walk over to that station at night around 7pm to take the train home, and never felt unsafe. During the day as others have said is full of workers, but much of the area is quiet after hours, but still pretty safe. Sepulveda Blvd is a huge and busy street, so there will always be lots of traffic, but not a lot of pedestrians as this blvd caters to the automobile.

I hope this helps, but as others said El Segundo does have a little downtown, but if I remember correctly you have to walk down a hill to get to it. Its nice, but has a small town, and very family friendly feel to it, and also very safe. Downtown Manhattan Beach on the other hand is full of singles, and has more of the beach culture that southern California is known for. If you can get over there, I would highly recommend it. The Kettle (although not great, but decent) is open 24 hours, sit outside on the patio, its much nicer.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:27 AM

Thanks again! I'll see if I have time to check out Manhattan beach, it sounds really tempting

Old 05-14-2014, 06:15 PM

9 posts, read 18,429 times
MB is nice, but if you're not looking for a trek, downtown El Segundo is laid back and friendly, albeit away from the beach. Their farmers market on Thursdays (3-7) is nice. Just walk down Mariposa to Main, turn left and you're downtown. An easy, safe walk at any hour. See if there are any movies playing at the Old Town Music Hall - they show silent films accompanied by a historic Wurlitzer. Go to El Segundo Brewing Co. for good local microbrews or tiki drinks at Purple Orchid. There's decent BBQ at Britt's, italian subs at Rinaldi's and cuban sandwiches at Havana. Enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles