U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:17 PM

16,138 posts, read 21,387,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In all seriousness.....I might be stating the obvious but the Hollywood sign is to LA as the Eiffel Tower is to Paris or the Statue of Liberty is to NYC. That statement might raise some eyebrows in NYC or France....but the sign is so closely linked to the city.
SoCal you're dead on with this statement! Not only is it an LA landmark, it's also one of two very famous landmarks of California as a whole. The other being the Golden Gate Bridge. That sign is true LA and true California IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 12:33 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,493,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Its just a sign. It doesn't make the city any more affordable or the traffic any less frustrating.
Unlike other landmarks that do make a city more affordable and improve traffic.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:59 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,010,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Unlike other landmarks that do make a city more affordable and improve traffic.
Where did I say any landmark improved the quality of life?

Old 06-11-2010, 01:02 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
It's HISTORY, dag nab it!!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:29 PM

4,575 posts, read 3,531,941 times
Apparently, we almost lost the Hollywood sign. Thanks to many donors including Hugh Hefner, they were able to collect enough money to buy the land (Cahuenga Peak) that the sign is on. You can read about it here.
I myself, think it's a Hollywood icon. It's one of the things I wanted to see (and I see it everyday) when I moved here, and folks who come to visit want to see.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:02 PM

6,229 posts, read 9,510,885 times
What I don't understand is that for such an accredited and famous landmark, the area around it is really hideous. The grass and land that holds the sign is always yellow-looking and dry. I don't get why doesn't the hollywood sign have weekly or monthly landscaping required by the city of LA. All the millionaires that live in the hills, their grass is always well maintained and manicured. Why can't they do the same for the sign? It would look so freaking nice to see the sign with green all over in the background and LED lights lighting up the sign as well. (Sigh) I guess I can keep dreaming.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:09 PM

6,662 posts, read 25,334,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
,,,The grass and land that holds the sign is always yellow-looking and dry. ,,,,,
The sign is accessible thru Griffith Park. The sign is in it's natural environment. The area is naturally manzanita, oaks and shrubs. If you water that area more than natural you create more weeds = more fire material.
CA is trying to be environmentally correct, they removed all non native animals from Santa Cruz island.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:14 PM

81 posts, read 256,084 times
Everytime I go to that area and see the Hollywood sign I enjoy it. It's kind of a neat throwback landmark.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:38 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,293,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
The sign is accessible thru Griffith Park. The sign is in it's natural environment. The area is naturally manzanita, oaks and shrubs. If you water that area more than natural you create more weeds = more fire material.
CA is trying to be environmentally correct, they removed all non native animals from Santa Cruz island.
Actually, it was the non-profit Nature Conservancy (which owns 3/4ths of Santa Cruz Island) combined with the federal government (the National Park Service owns the rest of the island) which removed the non-native species.

But I agree with your sentiments that it is better to leave the surrounding parkland natural.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:14 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,641,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
The grass and land that holds the sign is always yellow-looking and dry.
Welcome to the semi-arid Mediterranean climate and the chaparral-coastal sage biome that is Southern California. Florida we ain't. Green we ain't, except for the muted olive drabs and dark greens of the chaparral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles