U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:15 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,841,726 times

Advertisements

Central Long Beach is pretty awful (LB is NOT part of Los Angeles, by the way). And I rarely venture west of Doheny: I'll take downtown and the Eastside any day. Been living here nearly 20 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 01:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,056 times
I live in Long Beach all my life and I love it! Downtown at the beach and the vibrate life at night, the diverse population, many choices of international foods, nice weather year round, karaoke bar, short distance of vibrate cities near by and many more exciting and of course Long Beach have its own flaw of bad traffic, but that is everywhere in California, crimes and danger just like any other cities. I used to tell my sister that if I ever get lost in other city I just drive along the road of the ocean and I be at home lolz

Old 06-20-2010, 02:01 AM

24,714 posts, read 26,785,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detractor View Post
There should be a requirement for public safety workers to live in the areas they work in. I don't think it is fair for us residents to have to pay for the large compensation packages and pensions to people who don't want to live in the same city.

I also think living in the city they've sworn to protect gives public safety workers more motivation to keep things safe knowing they're families will have to deal with the same problems if they're not fixed. How about a 5% compensation difference for public safety workers that live in the same city they work in and those that do not?
A lot of cities on the East Coast do indeed have residency requirements for public sector workers, but I doubt that would fly here in CA. I think these kind of rules cut both ways, so it's best to leave things alone.

If pension benefits are unsustainable (and I totally hear you on that), then it's time to push for reforms to raise the retirement age, reduce the benefit formula, or reduce pay, etc. Some unions are starting to make concessions. At some point it is going to have to happen across the board because the costs of retiring at age 55 (or 50 in the case of some police & firefighters) is just too high.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:06 AM

24,714 posts, read 26,785,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
If you want a small town feel, you won't like Long Beach. We lived there for about 6 months and I hated it. The traffic in Belmont Shores (the shopping/restaurant area near the water) is unbelievably horrible. The area, just like most areas in L.A., is way too crowded. The air quality was awful - I dusted a black layer of soot off of everything in my home daily. I have had to do that everywhere I lived in L.A., but it was the worst in Long Beach. Maybe because of the port?
You're probably right about the soot being a result of the port. However, they have cleaned up a lot of the diesel exhaust from ships & trucks at the ports of LA & Long Beach, and more emissions reductions will take place this year and the next few years. You can read about it here:

Port of Long Beach - News Details

Old 06-20-2010, 02:37 AM

44 posts, read 98,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aujax View Post
Hi,

I'm a new york city firefighter and just came across an ad for a transfer opportunity with the long beach fire dept. I have wanted to move to california for a long time and am working toward my paramedic to make me more desirable to employers out there. However, the LA area seems to have a lot of downsides - congestion, crime, pollution - that I hate about NYC.

I was just wondering, is it feasable to commute to long beach from a nice area with a small-town feel or am I just dreaming? Would it be a two-hour or more commute? I am thinking of somewhere like temecula or riverside.

Thanks,
aujax
You wouldn't need to commute very far.There are some real nice areas in Long Beach. Long Beach has a large middle class.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:46 PM

419 posts, read 795,223 times
what is it like living in long beach?

Old 07-06-2012, 05:49 PM

6,256 posts, read 10,328,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
what is it like living in long beach?
Arguably one of the most affordable beach cities in CA with a mellow small beach town vibe but it is diverse and gay/bike friendly, it also has vibrant night life in specific areas like downtown and 2nd street.

There are parts of it that is not too cozy looking at night and you wouldn't neither want to be in those areas nor would you have any reason to be in those areas. For the most part, the city is quite safe and mellow. It is a part of LA County (not a part of Orange County like the adjacent small beach city Seal Beach). It is like 25-30 (w/ normal traffic) minutes from LAX. City itself is crowded but is it also a part of the appeal and you wouldn't think so by visiting. There really is no major traffic issue like gypsystar mentioned. 2nd street around Belmont Shores can get busy during rush hour or on the weekend due to being a popular vibrant part of the town but there are alternate routes.

Supermarket and stores no longer give free plastic shopping bags, you would have to buy paper bags or use re-usable ones, my only gripe because I feel it is more of a scam than it is to protect the environment as they claim.

The weather is much much nicer than the rest of the country. It is also not as hot as inland as it is next to the ocean (my apartment doesn't have AC and I only used the ceiling fans a few weeks during the summer). Winter time no heater either but then again I am quite adaptable to temperature variations.

I don't know what part of NY you are coming from but I doubt you would hate it in LB unless you prefer the big metro city lifestyle.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:46 PM

1,222 posts, read 1,217,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detractor View Post
There should be a requirement for public safety workers to live in the areas they work in. I don't think it is fair for us residents to have to pay for the large compensation packages and pensions to people who don't want to live in the same city.

I also think living in the city they've sworn to protect gives public safety workers more motivation to keep things safe knowing they're families will have to deal with the same problems if they're not fixed. How about a 5% compensation difference for public safety workers that live in the same city they work in and those that do not?
Please keep in mind that the politicians have the final say on compensation packages and pensions for public safety personnel. If you have a problem with that, place the blame where it belongs, not on the backs of the people doing the real work.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:40 PM

696 posts, read 820,131 times
How is long beach living these days (2015)? I am primarily talking about the downtown area.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:58 PM

796 posts, read 1,151,537 times
Downtown has changed so much, but is still a mixture of affluence and poverty. Parking is bad. Plenty of shops, business, and restaurants. The homeless are still visible.

I personally could never live in downtown. Almost every time I visit, I choke as soon as I leave my car. The pollution is so bad! People have been complaining for years of small black dust covering their cars--it's diesel soot and it causes cancer, asthma and other respiratory problems.

I know I always bring this up and I hate to paint a bad picture, but many reports have been made. The ports do outreach and try to help out the poor who are afflicted with asthma, but what can they do?

I have friends who rent a posh apt in downtown and they like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or