U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 07:43 PM

294 posts, read 771,786 times

Advertisements

Well, school may be the best options, and may help you lead you to your passion...

Or the need to join an association to build up your social network to help open the doors to your dream, but there are other ways to get some kind of exposure of your works.

Do you need to be in L.A., or do you want L.A. to need you?

In this day of age of internet technology, and accessibility of information going around, viral connection is as easy as butter.

You don't need no television network to host your pilot, you can do it on stream network video like youtube, and hopefully somebody would discover your talent...

Or, may steal your crap make it their own.

Budget? Come on! Meh, I could a make Paranormal Activity, all I need is HD camera, and make some enhancement and give that film effects from a program called iMovie program (if ever knew how to use it)... They probably have some tutorials on youtube.

Those producers made millions by the way, with a budget at least 50,000.

Documentary, Reality Style movies, blah, blah, blah... I could a done those, but I'm just too lazy.

Quentin Terantino didn't go film school, he seems to be doing alright. I think?

Well all in all, I'm just joking what I said above (don't listen to me), I'm just messing with you. I just want to wish you good luck out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 07:45 PM

3,778 posts, read 7,167,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanAA View Post
Hey guys!

After two solid months of hardwork and focus, we got to the examining part, and that's when I began slacking off, and spending my time in the office playing around on the computer.
. . .
Things started off well there, but I allowed myself to get distracted, and did not do anything productive in realizing my dreams.
. . .
slacking off and spending most of my time on the internet. Not only was I falling behind on my assignments, but I was having trouble showing up on time (also a problem at the Patent Office),
As you soul-search, you might take a look at this, especially if your tardiness and your distraction were related to computer use.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:10 AM

221 posts, read 393,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I don't see it happening. You don't seem like you want to work. Do you have any idea how hard it is to make a film? You can't show up late, something that you admit to in several jobs. Film schedules are not for the faint of heart. Pre production and post production are not for the faint of heart. It is a lot of work to get the finished product out the door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnet57 View Post
You hit the nail on the head, SOON2B. Well said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidrah View Post
If he isn't willing to work, then it won't work out...not doing the job right is the best way to know and find out it isn't what you are suited for. Then, he can move on, say he did it and it wasn't the right thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
As you soul-search, you might take a look at this, especially if your tardiness and your distraction were related to computer use.
Thanks guys for the responses. You're right, I do need to look at my work ethic (or lack thereof). I imagine filmmaking is alot of work, and I'm pretty sure it's more labor-intensive and much more time consuming than engineering will ever be.

I guess, the key word here is: Fun. Honestly, I wasn't having any fun or enjoying my time in college (well, atleast not the academic aspect of it) and I never looked forward to either of the two engineering-related jobs that I've had. To me, they were just sources of income. If I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have chosen engineering in the first place. I get a job (that I can't stand), I work 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, which practically covers the entire work week since there's little time for anything else, and only get two out of seven days away from work.

I'm just not as attached to material pocessions as alot of people, so the money alone is not going to motivate me. I made almost $62,000 a year at the Patent Office. Ontop of that, I got paid a recruitment bonus of almost $8,000 a year lump sum. With the promotions, I probably would've been making close to $100,000 a year in 5 years. Excellent federal benefits. But, it just wasn't enough to keep me motivated.

I know alot of people don't care where they work as long as it pays enough. For them, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! At one point, I thought that way, but I began to realize that there's more to life than money. I can make all the money in the world, but I only get one life. Once my life is over, that's it! Hell, part of my life is already over, a life filled with "regrets," but unfortunately I can't go back and change anything.

One conclusion I'll make from the points above, is that I can't get anywhere in life without "working." How I work and what I'm working toward, is the issue at hand. I can either work toward something that makes me happy or I can work toward something that makes me miserable. Also, I've learned that "work" and "play" are not mutually exclusive, but it depends on what I choose to do for work. I think it all boils down to integrity.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:37 AM

72 posts, read 200,117 times
Quote:
Thanks guys for the responses. You're right, I do need to look at my work ethic (or lack thereof). I imagine filmmaking is alot of work, and I'm pretty sure it's more labor-intensive and much more time consuming than engineering will ever be.

I guess, the key word here is: Fun. ...

...How I work and what I'm working toward, is the issue at hand. I can either work toward something that makes me happy or I can work toward something that makes me miserable. Also, I've learned that "work" and "play" are not mutually exclusive, but it depends on what I choose to do for work. I think it all boils down to integrity.
Yes filmmaking and pre/post production are a hell of a lot of work. But, if you talk to people in the industry... you will see that you are right about work and play: they can very much exist together.

I have never been worked harder that my time as an asst. stage manager/lighting tech for lolapalooza & country thunder USA music festivals. Logistics, crew management and hard stage labor from 6am-3am for 7 days straight in 100-degree + heat... with breaks LITERALLY to sit down and eat. Yes, I have had some very comparable schedules on tv and film sets... but these concert tours really take the cake as far as seeing what you are made of.

The thing is... when you really love what you are doing every minute, it is true what they say - it does not feel like work. Hopefully you can find that passion that I was so lucky to discover for myself in the production world. Hopefully your motivation comes from something that really drives you.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:11 AM

575 posts, read 800,741 times
There is nothing wrong with getting a job that pays well (even one you don't like) while you attempt to become a writer/producer. You might even consider trying to get a job at a production company. Getting valuable experience from those who already successfully produce and write movies and/or TV would only help your own career. Network your a$$ off and make those important connections. One of the problems most people make when attempting to break into the biz is not realizing that it could take a few years before you make any serious headway in your career of choice. I have heard of alot of people who have some money saved for living expenses which only lasts them a few months and then have to leave because they didn't do their homework on how expensive living in a big city really is. Breaking into this field is going to be difficult. That, I guarantee. Don't make it harder on yourself by living in near poverty. It's going to take time while you get experience and make those valuable connections. I think alot of people think that all they have to do is show up and get one big break. The smart ones know that it isn't one big break but alot of small ones and successful networking and alot of hard work that will keep them moving.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:49 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,534,454 times
Pursue what you love, every other career option is just keeping you alive.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,061 times
find a job on [url=http://www.corkin.com]Corkin.com - Social Networking[/url] free local classifieds when I first move to California this is where I was directed and ever since I use it for everything best of luck...

Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,883,390 times
Try to get a job with a rental house repairing equipment it may be a way in.
At least you will get to meet plenty of industry people.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:02 PM

15,371 posts, read 25,579,836 times
Quote:
I guess, the key word here is: Fun. Honestly, I wasn't having any fun or enjoying my time in college (well, atleast not the academic aspect of it) and I never looked forward to either of the two engineering-related jobs that I've had. To me, they were just sources of income. .
Well sorry to break it to you kid, but most of us don't work for fun, we work for money. Make plenty of money and then you can have some fun. I will agree that it is better to do something that you love. I for one love what I do and don't mind getting to work on a Monday.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:00 AM

221 posts, read 393,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Well sorry to break it to you kid, but most of us don't work for fun, we work for money. Make plenty of money and then you can have some fun. I will agree that it is better to do something that you love. I for one love what I do and don't mind getting to work on a Monday.
Well, I won't argue too much since I haven't taken any real action in pursuing my passion (whatever that passion is). I've come to the understanding that thinking and talking (or typing) may be constructive in atleast deciding on where I want to go and coming up with a tentative plan in how to get there, but unless I pick up my feet and move myself from where I'm at now to where I want to be, then nothing has changed.

You know the saying: "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything," well, I've learned that the hard way. Ultimately, no one else can decide what I should be doing with my life, but me. In the past, I've ignored my feelings and completely followed the advice of others since I didn't trust myself and felt inadequate and unworthy, but that has led to a very miserable and demoralizing life and has completely robbed me of my personal power and sense of self. Basically, I have paid dearly in more ways than I'd like to get into on this board, for living out of integrity.

Now, with the film thing, I'm starting to believe that I have been alittle off course. I don't think Los Angeles is the right place for me, and my gut tells me that I am not cut out for the commercial film industry. It seems that independent filmmaking would be more my avenue, based on my lifestyle and my personality. I'll gain alot more satisfaction by just allowing filmmaking to remain an art, which would allow me to push the envelope and experiment and really have fun. Plus, I am getting over this narcissistic urge to become rich and famous to make up for the past and give my life real meaning. I don't want to be rich or famous anyway.

That leaves two big questions that I've been pondering for almost a year now. What kind of career do I want? Where do I want to live? I think those two issues go beyond the scope of this thread and forum, so I won't really get into it. I don't want to live in Wichita, KS anymore, that's for sure. This is the least exciting city that I've ever lived in. As for the career, there's a few things that I'm good at: Writing and computer software. Ironically, the two professional jobs I've held in the past involved those two things. Idealy, I'd like to find a job that somehow includes those two things, but isn't engineering-related. I don't want to do any designing or building or testing at all. I don't want to do a job that deals with hardware at all, even in analyzing circuit diagrams. I want to stick with software programs and writing. Maybe something in IT would be up my ally. I'll certainly look into it. Infact, I'll probably post this in the employment forum.

Anyway, I've rambled enough here . Thanks everyone for the advice. I've gained an even deaper understanding of what I need to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles