Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 11:57 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times

Advertisements

Malibu California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 11:57 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Ahh. Well that's fine. What do you say about 10/11-ish am? Is it foggy then?
1) What time does it get sunny? I'm only planning to stay probably 2 hours at the most. 2) What other things are there to do in Malibu?

You are a very informed visitor as many tourists go to Malibu beach near the pier which is a NOT so impressive beach.

Zuma is one of the most beautiful beaches in LA County.

1) Really depends on what month you are comming. In June it might not clear until 2pm (but it COULD clear earlier it is just not very predictable this time of year). In July or August it would be more likely to clear by 10am or Noon.

2) In addition to Zuma, there is Pt. Dume which is immediately adjacent to Zuma. Pt. Dume has a very short but very scenic hiking trail which gives you a great view of Paradise Cove (to the east) and Zuma Beach (to the west). Pt. Dume is the spot where they filmed the final scene in the original "Planet of the Apes" movie with Charlton Heston. The hike from the beach up to the top of the Point is probably 15 minutes tops....but once you get to the top you'll want to take in the view as it is quite nice, esp. on a sunny day.

2b) Other Malibu activities include some very scenic (but longer) hikes. You won't have time for that but consider it next timeMALIBU HIKING TRAILS

2c) The drive from central Malibu (near the pier) to Zuma is very scenic. Be prepared to really just enjoy that drive...esp. on a sunny day. You could also take a short drive from Zuma up the coast another 10 to 15 minutes (north or "away" for LA) just to catch more of the scenic (relatively undeveloped) part of Malibu.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:00 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Drive Malibu Canyon Road to Piuma Road to Las Flores Road.

Google Maps

Malibu Pier and Surfrider Beach (more of a point break surfing beach vs Zuma which is beach break)

Eat at Moonshadows, Gladstones, or the Sea Lion (now called Dukes).

Visit my elementary school, Our Lady of Malibu Catholic School
if you drive las flores, check your brakes first, it's a 10% grade (maybe more) downhill for 2-3 miles. before heading down to PCH, I would also stop at Saddle Peak where it meets Stunt rd, amazing views to the north and the south. as for beaches with people, zuma is a very large beach and stretches for miles, if you want more people around try paradise cove. regarding the sun, this time of year there will likely be no sunshine on the coast. if the sun does come out, it probably won't be until afte lunch time. later in the summer the sun will be out all day.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:12 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Drive Malibu Canyon Road to Piuma Road to Las Flores Road.

Google Maps

Malibu Pier and Surfrider Beach (more of a point break surfing beach vs Zuma which is beach break)

Eat at Moonshadows, Gladstones, or the Sea Lion (now called Dukes).

Visit my elementary school, Our Lady of Malibu Catholic School

Go visit the nudie beach here:

Bing Maps
Ahh. Okay thanks! Your elementary school? a nudist beach? What the?!

Old 06-14-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Yeah, late morning is a good time but on weekends the parking lots can fill up fast so consider getting there early enough to avoid parking hassles. Malibu is basically a wealthy residential area without any sort of amusement parks\ pier like Santa Monica. There is good fishing off the Malibu pier & Surfrider's beach pier. And some good restaurants but many are a bit expensive. I love to drive up into the Santa Monica mountains for fun roads and hiking. Places like Topanga Canyon are beautiful.
Thanks! But what if I plan on taking the bus? The metro? Will I still get good scenary and traffic? My trip will probably take 4 in total hours back and forth. Because I will be commuting from downtown LA.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
You are a very informed visitor as many tourists go to Malibu beach near the pier which is a NOT so impressive beach.

Zuma is one of the most beautiful beaches in LA County.

1) Really depends on what month you are comming. In June it might not clear until 2pm (but it COULD clear earlier it is just not very predictable this time of year). In July or August it would be more likely to clear by 10am or Noon.

2) In addition to Zuma, there is Pt. Dume which is immediately adjacent to Zuma. Pt. Dume has a very short but very scenic hiking trail which gives you a great view of Paradise Cove (to the east) and Zuma Beach (to the west). Pt. Dume is the spot where they filmed the final scene in the original "Planet of the Apes" movie with Charlton Heston. The hike from the beach up to the top of the Point is probably 15 minutes tops....but once you get to the top you'll want to take in the view as it is quite nice, esp. on a sunny day.

2b) Other Malibu activities include some very scenic (but longer) hikes. You won't have time for that but consider it next timeMALIBU HIKING TRAILS

2c) The drive from central Malibu (near the pier) to Zuma is very scenic. Be prepared to really just enjoy that drive...esp. on a sunny day. You could also take a short drive from Zuma up the coast another 10 to 15 minutes (north or "away" for LA) just to catch more of the scenic (relatively undeveloped) part of Malibu.
Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely be looking into them. Because I know I will not have time to do all of them. It sounds great!

Old 06-14-2010, 12:21 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Thanks! But what if I plan on taking the bus? The metro? Will I still get good scenary and traffic? My trip will probably take 4 in total hours back and forth. Because I will be commuting from downtown LA.
To be honest, I don't think there is any public transportation out to Malibu. Maybe MTA has buses but I have never seen them. You will need to rent a car for the day in order to take in all that Malibu can offer.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
To be honest, I don't think there is any public transportation out to Malibu. Maybe MTA has buses but I have never seen them. You will need to rent a car for the day in order to take in all that Malibu can offer.
There is an MTA bus 534 which goes out to Trancas (extreme northern end of Zuma).

http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bu...images/534.pdf

Old 06-14-2010, 12:41 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,231,569 times
Paradise Cove is kind of awesome, too. You can sit out on wooden chairs on the beach while (somewhat surly) waiters bring you food & drinks.

If you get the chance.... definitely try to check out Venice Boardwalk. It's a trip!

Old 06-14-2010, 12:44 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Paradise Cove is kind of awesome, too. You can sit out on wooden chairs on the beach while (somewhat surly) waiters bring you food & drinks.

If you get the chance.... definitely try to check out Venice Boardwalk. It's a trip!
One thing about Paradise Cove (as far as I know), there is no way to avoid paying for parking unless you park on PCH and walk in??? Of course, the original poster mentioned he'd be taking a bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles