Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 05:37 PM

78 posts, read 145,065 times

Advertisements

Hey,
So I'm going to college.... and will have to decide between

A) CSU Northridge - with a 30min daily commute ,as I don't wanna "live" in Northridge

B) CSU Long Beach, and having an apartment by the beach (I am fully aware of the costs) and commute will be really low.

Long beach is not small, I am aware.
Whenever I read whether long beach is safe, they say "which parts".... so I'm curious, will North Long beach / or any Long beach ghetto parts, AFFECT Me in any way? I'd be living near the beach.... and having to hear how unsafe long beach is, is a bit frustrating and demovating, making me think of option A.

Is Long beach near to where the fun is? I'd be living in LA so I'd like to make the most out of it.... but the long commute to santa monica, beverlly hills etc worries me a bit.

What are your comments?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 07:01 PM

80 posts, read 82,064 times
I am having the same issue. Every block makes a difference so all you can do is look out for the ghettos. Cheaper areas like long beach are likely to have a lot of ghettos, maybe you should try NoHo if you have a car.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:07 PM

248 posts, read 310,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayBay View Post
Hey,
So I'm going to college.... and will have to decide between

A) CSU Northridge - with a 30min daily commute ,as I don't wanna "live" in Northridge

B) CSU Long Beach, and having an apartment by the beach (I am fully aware of the costs) and commute will be really low.

Long beach is not small, I am aware.
Whenever I read whether long beach is safe, they say "which parts".... so I'm curious, will North Long beach / or any Long beach ghetto parts, AFFECT Me in any way? I'd be living near the beach.... and having to hear how unsafe long beach is, is a bit frustrating and demovating, making me think of option A.

Is Long beach near to where the fun is? I'd be living in LA so I'd like to make the most out of it.... but the long commute to santa monica, beverlly hills etc worries me a bit.

What are your comments?

Thanks!
I researched Long Beach a lot when I thought it was possible I was going to be transferred there for work. Turns out I'm working in KTOWN (wish it was LB though).

From what I was told below 4th st is really safe. Between 4th and 7th is pretty safe. But once you get to 10th and up it gets kind of ghetto.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:06 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,103 times
Please look over the forums for Long Beach, I and many others have posted the safe areas and there are PLENTY of safe and awesome areas!

The area around Long Beach State is perfectly safe and has lots of student life. If you want to live closer to the beach, rent in Belmont Shore. It's maybe 10-15 minutes from campus by bus or car, not much traffic between the two. 2nd street is there and is lined with all the shops and restaurants and bars one could want.

I personally like the condos just south of campus along Bellflower which would be biking distance to the campus and a short walk down to the marina area. Stoney Brook or Stoney Pointe I think are the names. They are independently owned but they are always for rent on places like hot pads dot com or pad mapper or radpads.

The campus is in the heart of east long beach where the sleepy happy suburbs of northeast Long Beach meet the marina crowd of Southeast Long Beach and the beachy communities to the southwest. Directly west of the campus is the Circle area which has a ton of apartments and students and shopping.

That being said, I am moving out of Long Beach and up to the valley to go to Northridge. It also has a growing student scene around it. But I like the quieter areas of the valley like Northridge, it's not yet the 24/7 student hub, but it's getting there and there are lots of fun things around there. I prefer the valley, but I'm glad I moved to Long Beach 2 years ago to get my beachside start to my California adventure. Good luck!

Old 05-20-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
I researched Long Beach a lot when I thought it was possible I was going to be transferred there for work. Turns out I'm working in KTOWN (wish it was LB though).

From what I was told below 4th st is really safe. Between 4th and 7th is pretty safe. But once you get to 10th and up it gets kind of ghetto.
That applies to the west half of the city. Once you cross Cherry, things get better and one you cross Redondo, there is not much hood to speak of except right there just southeast of Redondo and PCH, but that's also not as bad as the westside. But yes, for the west half of LBC, your street warnings are mostly correct.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:33 PM

367 posts, read 672,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batard Moche View Post
long beach in general is a gigantic dump.

there was a hilarious thread here a couple months ago, about some homeless guy who was defecating/urinating outside some chick's apartment. literally, the bum camped right outside her window on the sidewalk, doing his business as he pleased.

she was completely helpless too, the police, city hall, etc. all refused to assist her. she couldn't open the window and catch a breeze since the stench was overwhelming. this literally went on for months.

it's not as bad as san francisco, but it can be a terrible place to live.

any good part will cost $$$ and you're probably better off in the westside.
oh look

the fap is back

Old 05-20-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjt123 View Post
oh look

the fap is back
What's a fap? I see that on here a lot. Seems like his post was just meant to generate lots of replies. Maybe he's trying to win that $500 contest.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:00 AM

367 posts, read 672,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
What's a fap? I see that on here a lot. Seems like his post was just meant to generate lots of replies. Maybe he's trying to win that $500 contest.
its in reference to a serial troller, known in one incarnation as midnightfapper.

and to fap is to jerk off, beat the meat, burp the worm, crank the shank... take your pick

Old 05-21-2014, 01:01 AM

78 posts, read 145,065 times
Ugh .... I'm debating between living in Santa Monica or up closer to the highway, and go to CSUN with car, OR Long Beach and go to CSULB.

Old 05-21-2014, 01:12 AM

925 posts, read 1,333,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HayBay View Post
Ugh .... I'm debating between living in Santa Monica or up closer to the highway, and go to CSUN with car, OR Long Beach and go to CSULB.
If you have the $$$$, go santa monica
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles