Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:22 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingcitylife View Post
Thanks, you all. I really do appreciate all of the comments and I am definitely taking notes. I'm not saying that Burbank is a bad place. In fact, Burbank is on our short list. I just wanted to know if there were more urban places that are family oriented and have decent schools. Charles, when it comes to restaurants - we like to be surrounded by "mom & pop" restaurants. Shopping wise, we do a lot of online shopping, but we also like to go to be near the more unusual clothing stores. I will definitely check out the California School Performance Maps. Thanks for the link.
El Segundo: excellent schools, lots of mom and pop restaurants, close to mainstream retail on Sepulveda, excellent weather. Not sure about $2500. Same with South Bay cities to Torrance (except El Segundo might be a little mellower for families). Still not sure about $2500. Definitely not urban but very dense nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 12:14 AM

22 posts, read 162,331 times
$2500 is not going to get you a great school district unless you live in a small apartment. If you can afford maybe 4 to 5k a month then you can get into a school system that you wouldn't be afraid to send your child to.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:10 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedr83 View Post
$2500 is not going to get you a great school district unless you live in a small apartment. If you can afford maybe 4 to 5k a month then you can get into a school system that you wouldn't be afraid to send your child to.
Sure it will. They only have one child, so they don't need a huge place. We rented a 2BR house (not that long ago) in South Pasadena for $1900/month (plus garage for storage, in-house W/D, and a small yard). I keep an eye on the listings and see decent places listed regularly for within the OP's budget. And Burbank (if they do decide to go that route) seems to be be even cheaper. Don't expect a big place (or a small place) on the beach or with a million dollar view for that price, but it's certainly possible to get a pleasant house (or large apartment) in a good school district for under $2,500.

That said, a nice place in a good district can rent quickly, as there are a lot of other families looking for the same thing. If you find something you like I'd jump on it.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:39 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
El Segundo: excellent schools, lots of mom and pop restaurants, close to mainstream retail on Sepulveda, excellent weather. Not sure about $2500. Same with South Bay cities to Torrance (except El Segundo might be a little mellower for families). Still not sure about $2500. Definitely not urban but very dense nonetheless.
The beach communities of the South Bay (Torrance, Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo, El Segundo, Palos Verdes) have a lot of mom & pop type stores, restaurants,etc... Plus you have the beach and the most mild weather in LA County - not too hot in the Summer or too cold in the Winter. Torrance Beach has is our favorite beach. I suggest visiting this region while out looking for a place. We were actually spoiled in living here in many regards. With regards to shopping you have everything small stores right along the beach to a huge mall (Del Amo) and everything in between.

For your budget I would say you will get the most bang for the buck in Torrance. Just stay west of Western. Otherwise you are no longer really in Torrance but rather Torrance PO and LA Unified = very bad.

Derek

Old 06-15-2010, 06:43 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,600,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
If Burbank is too suburban, than some of the other places listed (Thousand Oaks, etc.) are going to feel way too suburban.

My personal choice would be South Pasadena: good schools, nice downtown, great for families. It doesn't feel like a city, but isn't suburban, either. More like a small town. It's also very near the main business areas of Pasadena, as well as has easy light rail access to downtown LA. I'm very much a city person, but we loved our time in South Pasadena, and think it's an excellent place for people with kids. There aren't a ton of shops in South Pas itself (there are some, including the basics: I don't drive, and could get most of what I needed by walking) but what is there is mostly smaller independent places, which I like. Old Pasadena is just a short drive away (or again, a light rail trip or a short bike ride) and has all the shopping you could ask for, including both the big corporate chains as well as some nice independent places (including southern CA's largest independent bookstore). South Pasadena is pretty good on the restaurant front, as are the surrounding cities and neighborhoods (Pasadena, Alhambra, Highland Park, etc.). Whatever kind of food you're in the mood for will be just a short distance away.

South Pasadena isn't near the beach, though. It's in the San Gabriel Valley.

Santa Monica is worth a look for urban setting and proximity to the beach. Not sure about schools or prices, though.
Very good schools, very high prices.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:41 PM

25 posts, read 131,932 times
Thanks for this info. I used $2500 for rent as a middle ground. We can pay more, if needed. I will check out Pasadena, Burbank, El Segunda…Keep it coming. I appreciate all of your comments.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:05 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,232,108 times
I second South Pasadena.

FYI, "South Pasadena" is different than "Pasadena." I mean, they're right next to each other... but you'll want to look in SOUTH Pasadena for the better schools.

Eagle Rock is kind of awesome (and right next to South Pasadena). There is a highly rated elementary school there (it starts with a D. Declan? Devlin? Something like that), so if you can get a place near that school... you're golden. It's also more affordable than South Pasadena.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:34 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,923 times
I third South Pas.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:35 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I second South Pasadena.

FYI, "South Pasadena" is different than "Pasadena." I mean, they're right next to each other... but you'll want to look in SOUTH Pasadena for the better schools.

Eagle Rock is kind of awesome (and right next to South Pasadena). There is a highly rated elementary school there (it starts with a D. Declan? Devlin? Something like that), so if you can get a place near that school... you're golden. It's also more affordable than South Pasadena.
Eagle Rock is a good recommendation too.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:18 PM

25 posts, read 131,932 times
Thank you! All of these areas look great. Does anybody have first hand knowledge of what the schools are like in Burbank????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles