U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:36 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,744,640 times

Advertisements

Part of the reason I didn't spend much time on the Westside (some, but not a lot) is because of the traffic. I think the area will be vastly improved whenever the subway to the sea is finally built. At least many of the areas to the east have at least some rail transit. The traffic situation made it unrealistic to go over there on weekdays, at least those weekdays when I had to go to work, too. I'm sure many people living on the Westside feel the same way about heading the other direction.

I agree with everyone who has said that they don't typically venture far from home; I guess that was true for us, too, at least on a daily basis. No need to head ten miles away when there's plenty of options in your own backyard, after all. My experience was similar to drshang's in that we stuck around home on the weekdays, and ventured farther afield on weekend day trips. LA is a great city for that; there are so many vastly different neighborhoods and places to visit that it's very easy to get a relatively quick change of pace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 02:43 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,948,866 times
As to what is and what isn't the westside: nobody's mentioned Westchester and Ladera Heights yet....

IMO those are "Southwest".

Old 06-15-2010, 03:46 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,824,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
As to what is and what isn't the westside: nobody's mentioned Westchester and Ladera Heights yet....

IMO those are "Southwest".
Ladera Hts seems more Westside since it is right above Culver City. And certainly Marina Del Rey & El Segundo would be considered the Westside. But south of LAX is considered "South Bay" [south Santa Monica bay] or just the "beach cities" [Manhattan\ Redondo\ Hermosa\ Torrance\ Rancho Palos Verdes]. The South Bay has much in common with West LA except less urban.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:57 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,414,084 times
if you asked the residents of el segundo i would guess that 99.9% would affiliate themselves with the south bay. in fact, i think many people move to the south bay because it is not the westside. the south bay is one of the few areas that still remind me of the infamous beach lifestyle that southern CA was once known for.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:18 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I think it is the opposite. The traffic on the Westside is probably the worse in the city. The San Diego & Santa Monica freeways\ PCH as well as the blvds can be in gridlock like nowhere else in Los Angeles.

The streets that pack up are Bundy and Lincoln Boulevard the north south route.

The streets that back up east west traffic before you get to the 405 is Wilshire Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard. Pico can be a drag also.

If you take surface streets, it's Olympic or Santa Monica heading west from the 405.

In my opinion traffic around the Grove/Fairfax Area, Koreatown/Western, McArthur Park Area/Downtown is FAR worse than any traffic on the Westside.

I only commute 9 miles to work, I live and work and shop on the Westside. To me it's a pain in the butt to have to sit in traffic longer than 1/2 hour from point A to point B to do anything anymore. I can't tell you the last time I was downtown/beverly center/the grove/west hollywood/beverly hills for anything. I went to have dinner with friends in Korea town 8 months ago on a Friday night, the traffic was so incredibly miserable, I called them on my cell after sitting in traffic for over an hour and 15 minutes crawling up Western Avenue and told them I wasn't coming, I turned my car around and went home.

Last edited by LuckyGem; 06-15-2010 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: I added stuff...

Old 06-15-2010, 04:21 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,414,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The only street that packs up is Lincoln Boulevard the north south route.

The only street that backs up east west traffic before you get to the 405 is Wilshire Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard.

If you take surface streets, it's Olympic or Santa Monica heading west from the 405.

In my opinion traffic around the Fairfax Area, Koreatown/Western, McArthur Park Area/Downtown is FAR worse than any traffic on the Westside.
there are many more streets that back up besides the ones that you mentioned. let's just all agree that traffic in the city is terrible just about everywhere.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:32 PM

2,318 posts, read 6,839,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
if you asked the residents of el segundo i would guess that 99.9% would affiliate themselves with the south bay. in fact, i think many people move to the south bay because it is not the westside. the south bay is one of the few areas that still remind me of the infamous beach lifestyle that southern CA was once known for.
Yeah, I work in El Segundo and NOBODY here considers this the Westside. The Westside pretty much ends at LAX.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:40 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,427,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Probably by people who have never lived in the westside.

Brentwood is at best like SM with worse schools (as it's LAUSD) or Sawtelle with more New Yorkers. It's not particularly architecturally attractive. I don't think there's a more overrated neighborhood in L.A.

I gotta disagree. Many of the estates in Brentwood Park are gorgeous Tuscan or Spanish villas, often on double or triple-lot properties. And you can't forget the modern architectural gems hanging over the cliffsides on Tigertail, which are featured in the LA Times every other month. All of these are custom builds costing multiple millions to erect & furnish.

Living on the Westside & having roots here through my grandparents, it isn't just the locale, climate or homes that distinguishes itself from other neighborhoods: it's the people. There are so many entertainment industry execs, prominent directors/screenwriters/recording producers and of course A-list actors & musicians you become jaded. My grandparents' old neighbors were producers with Steve Bochco on Hill St. Blues/NYPD Blue; another was Bruce Springsteen's attorney. John Travolta, Usher & Julie Andrews have rented homes on their block in the past. And i remember being taken by my grandma to some charity animal event at Betty White's gated mansion in the Park. That kind of access & contact with industry VIP's probably means very little if you're a neurosurgeon, aerospace exec or commercial developer. But for ppl who constantly need to network & curry favor with others in the industry, the Westside is the be-all & end-all of their world.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:52 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,948,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I gotta disagree. Many of the estates in Brentwood Park are gorgeous Tuscan or Spanish villas, often on double or triple-lot properties. And you can't forget the modern architectural gems hanging over the cliffsides on Tigertail, which are featured in the LA Times every other month. All of these are custom builds costing multiple millions to erect & furnish.
As I went to Uni I know very well about Brentwood.

Only a small minority of the population lives in gorgeous Tuscan or Spanish villas, much more live in apartments or condos that differ little from other L.A. neighborhoods except for where they're located.

As for "modern architectural gems", that's no different from Mar Vista on the hill, yet MV (which also borders on SM) is less expensive than Brentwood (and both are LAUSD so there are no advantages when it comes to schools in either one). There's really nothing Brentwood has that MV doesn't have.

Brentwood has no bookstores, overpriced restaurants, no culture, just sterility. At least MV has Sam Johnson's. Even the New Yorkers who congregate in Brentwood en masse seem to be less interesting than those who congregate in Venice en masse. They're more "Jersey Shore" than boho.

If you compare Brentwood's architecture with Los Feliz, the Hollywood Hills, Hancock Park, Silver Lake, etc. it's going to come up short.

As for stars: every wealthy westside neighborhood has them.

Now, if Brentwood rents and housing prices were at MV levels, or even Culver City levels, where they belong, then I wouldn't slag it so hard.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:11 PM

787 posts, read 1,622,673 times
Here is ONE huge contribution that West LA made to the fabric of LA (at least in my book): One of the BEST nodes of urbanism in all of Los Angeles is WESTWOOD VILLAGE.

I wish more pockets of Los Angeles had been developed in this fashion. The pedestrian-friendly streetscapes and the feel of a Mediterranean "urban village" are unfortunately a rare treat. Instead, the all too familar endless sea of strip malls punctuate far too many corners of LA (including the previously mentioned all too sterile Brentwood).

I am not one to rest an entire urban critique on physical determinism but it is NOT hard to imagine LA as a better place had MORE developers had the vision and guts of the Janss Investment Company (which is the company that designed and built the orig. Westwood Village).

Of course, I realize many current issues plague Westwood in its current form (e.g., lack of parking, increased competition from places like 3rd Street Promenade, high retail vacancies, etc.). But there was a time when Westwood was the EPICENTER of West Los Angeles nightlife (say the 1960's through the early 1980's). Not sure anyone would want it to be THAT crowded again but it would be nice to see the Village regain some of its lost vitality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles