U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2010, 06:05 PM
 
Location: South Bay
7,091 posts, read 18,417,215 times
Reputation: 3323

Advertisements

with all of the residential buildings around westwood one has to wonder why it is experiencing such depression while places like Larchmont, Main St., Abbot Kinney, Montana, Hillhurst, Sunset Junction, and even Culver City are doing just fine (or at least much better).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2010, 06:07 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
787 posts, read 1,623,021 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I gotta disagree. Many of the estates in Brentwood Park are gorgeous Tuscan or Spanish villas, often on double or triple-lot properties. And you can't forget the modern architectural gems hanging over the cliffsides on Tigertail, which are featured in the LA Times every other month. All of these are custom builds costing multiple millions to erect & furnish.

Living on the Westside & having roots here through my grandparents, it isn't just the locale, climate or homes that distinguishes itself from other neighborhoods: it's the people.
I have to disagree with much of your post:

1. COST does NOT equate to quality in architecture. The "Case Study Homes" are one of LA's BEST contributions to American residential architecture. Case Study Houses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
These were "relatively" affordable homes built from the 1940's to the 1960's from Hollywood to the Pacific Palisades. They look very MODEST compared to the Executive housnig built in later decades in these areas.

2. The residential architecture in Brentwood PALES in comparison to the FAR MORE significant contributions in neighborhoods like SILVER LAKE, HOLLWYOOD/HOLLYWOOD HILLS, and LOS FELIZ.

Brentwood hardly even registers in one of the better guidebooks on LA architecture: An Architectural Guidebook to Los Angeles by Gebhard & Winter.

I paraphrase and (quote directly where indicated) their comments on those communities:

HOLLYWOOD HILLS/LOS FELIZ:
"No serious student of 20th Century traditional or avant-garde architecture can IGNORE this area" (a direct quote)as it is punctuated with works by Neutra, Schindler, Koening, and Frank Lloyd Wright (including the famous Hollyhock House). In addition, there is a significant amount of the housing stock dating from the Period Revivals of the 1920's and 1930's including Egyptian, Mayan, Spanish, Tudor, Hansel & even Medieval style, to name a few.

SILVER LAKE:
"For a small district, the SILVER LAKE area has a HIGH concentration of FIRST RATE archictecture, making it one of the most important places to visit in the city." The most influential work is by LA Modernists including: Schindler, Neutra, Ain, Soriano, and Lautner.

Brentwood PALES in comparison (and boasts very little in terms of significant architecutre)...it's really not even close regardless of who lives there. Don't get me wrong, I am not claiming the place is a dump. Given the price it better not be. It's just not earth shattering or even innovative in terms of design, etc.

Last edited by SoCal35; 06-15-2010 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,953,730 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
with all of the residential buildings around westwood one has to wonder why it is experiencing such depression while places like Larchmont, Main St., Abbot Kinney, Montana, Hillhurst, Sunset Junction, and even Culver City are doing just fine (or at least much better).
Montana's also depressed from what I've heard and saw on my last trip to SM.

The reason why those other areas are doing better is that they contain some shops that cater to the community. CC has a VERY strong community pride. Silver Lake, Los Feliz, and Venice also have community pride. Main St. caters to actual Santa Monicans who wouldn't be caught dead on the promenade or Montana as well as tourists.

Westwood's problem was that the RE bubble made it too expensive for shops which catered to the community to afford the rents and thus T-shirt shops, novelty shops,etc. were the only people to afford the rents - all the types of businesses that are most disposable when the economy goes bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,413 posts, read 7,826,258 times
Reputation: 1802
The Westside, to me, is epitomized by the HBO comedy series, "Curb Your Enthusiasm." Larry David is always driving around neighborhoods I recognize in West Los Angeles. It just seems exactly like the TV program: mostly upper middle-class to wealthy professionals who live in large homes w/ pools. Mostly Anglo\ Jewish\ Iranians who eat at sidewalk cafes or dine in expensive restaurants on La Cienega\ Pico\ Sunset blvds. Everyone has a dog or two and maybe a maid. All are liberal and many read the New York Times.

Now a different HBO show, "The Entourage" is definitely the Hollywood Hills\ West Hollywood. Young single and wealthy who go to pool parties\ club in West Hollywood\ go to gyms that have valets. Lots of beautiful women who go topless at parties\ clubs\ swimming pools. Everyone smokes weed non-stop. Lots of actors\ musicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2010, 05:05 PM
 
1,964 posts, read 4,428,209 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
I have to disagree with much of your post:

1. COST does NOT equate to quality in architecture. The "Case Study Homes" are one of LA's BEST contributions to American residential architecture. Case Study Houses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
These were "relatively" affordable homes built from the 1940's to the 1960's from Hollywood to the Pacific Palisades. They look very MODEST compared to the Executive housnig built in later decades in these areas.

2. The residential architecture in Brentwood PALES in comparison to the FAR MORE significant contributions in neighborhoods like SILVER LAKE, HOLLWYOOD/HOLLYWOOD HILLS, and LOS FELIZ.

Brentwood hardly even registers in one of the better guidebooks on LA architecture: An Architectural Guidebook to Los Angeles by Gebhard & Winter.

I paraphrase and (quote directly where indicated) their comments on those communities:

HOLLYWOOD HILLS/LOS FELIZ:
"No serious student of 20th Century traditional or avant-garde architecture can IGNORE this area" (a direct quote)as it is punctuated with works by Neutra, Schindler, Koening, and Frank Lloyd Wright (including the famous Hollyhock House). In addition, there is a significant amount of the housing stock dating from the Period Revivals of the 1920's and 1930's including Egyptian, Mayan, Spanish, Tudor, Hansel & even Medieval style, to name a few.

SILVER LAKE:
"For a small district, the SILVER LAKE area has a HIGH concentration of FIRST RATE archictecture, making it one of the most important places to visit in the city." The most influential work is by LA Modernists including: Schindler, Neutra, Ain, Soriano, and Lautner.

Brentwood PALES in comparison (and boasts very little in terms of significant architecutre)...it's really not even close regardless of who lives there. Don't get me wrong, I am not claiming the place is a dump. Given the price it better not be. It's just not earth shattering or even innovative in terms of design, etc.
True. Brentwood (and much of the Westside for that matter) may not have historically significant architectural works but we shouldn't judge a neighborhood's visual appeal just on the sheer number homes on the National Register of Historic Places. My point is the variety & juxtaposition of modern custom homes with Mediterranean/Tuscan/Spanish villas makes Brentwood & much of the Westside unique compared to other wealthy LA enclaves like Encino or South Pas or Malibu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
787 posts, read 1,623,021 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
True. Brentwood (and much of the Westside for that matter) may not have historically significant architectural works but we shouldn't judge a neighborhood's visual appeal just on the sheer number homes on the National Register of Historic Places. My point is the variety & juxtaposition of modern custom homes with Mediterranean/Tuscan/Spanish villas makes Brentwood & much of the Westside unique compared to other wealthy LA enclaves like Encino or South Pas or Malibu.
I'll agree with you on Malibu and Encino....but South Pasadena has far more character and charm than Brentwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Armsanta Sorad
5,660 posts, read 6,577,056 times
Reputation: 2429
I think the reason why the Westside is a big deal to some is because they picture the Westside as a safe haven from all the problems the rest of the county/city is facing. From a perspective, the Westside is pictured as the wealth capital in the city of LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 08:24 PM
 
Location: San Leandro
4,576 posts, read 7,622,854 times
Reputation: 3248
I never leave the west side is translation for I never travel outside my comfort zone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 08:36 PM
 
Location: state of procrastination
3,487 posts, read 6,125,682 times
Reputation: 2883
The good thing about Westside is that you are going against traffic in all directions. Commuting to the westside is a nightmare for most.

That's where the benefits end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2010, 08:38 PM
 
Location: West Coast
1,291 posts, read 3,489,089 times
Reputation: 674
The westside is the best side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top