U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 09:51 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,427,617 times

Advertisements

Kettlemen City is used by a lot of people doing something similar although, if she is driving 3/4 of the way down, you can find something much more convenient for you.

Anyway, this whole thing reminds me of a story you computer nerds might appreciate. Back in the 80's, I was made aware of the disaster recovery strategy that Bank of America was using. They had two data centers, one in San Francisco (Concord) and one in Los Angeles. This was before high speed networks so backups were done on tape and sent offsite. What BofA did was backup the SF data center and load it on a truck. Likewise for the Los Angeles data center. Every morning. the SF driver took off driving south on 5 and the LA driver took off driving north on the 5. They met at a restaurant midway (I don't remember the city) and had lunch. When done, they drove each other's truck back home.

They called this method CTAM, or Chevy Truck Access Method.

I have a million more stories, perhaps I will share more <ducks>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 10:07 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,748,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
I have a million more stories, perhaps I will share more
That won't be necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or