U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:25 AM

7 posts, read 10,267 times

Advertisements

I'm sure you see a lot of me in here.
A friend and I (we are both 19/20 year old girls) are coming down to LA for the first time this August. From what I have read, south and east are not the areas that you want to stay in or really bother with as a tourist. I have also seen that parts of downtown aren't the greatest either.
Problem is, we are going to a concert at the Nokia Theatre one of the evenings and we wanted to stay close to avoid a huge cab cost back. So there are a couple cheap hotels in that area of the edge of downtown...Does anyone have any feedback on this? I really appreciate it. Or any suggestions on good places (specific) to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 12:57 AM

787 posts, read 1,622,673 times
There is NOTHING wrong with staying in downtown, just avoid Skid Row (where there are NOT any good hotels anyway). As a general rule, stay WEST of Main Street and you would fine. The closer you are to Nokia the safer downtown becomes.

As an alternative you could
1) stay in Hollywood (safe in most areas, sketchy in east hollywood) or Studio City (very safe) and take the subway (red line) to downtown.
2) stay in Pasadena (very safe) and take the Gold line light rail to downtown.
3) stay in Santa Monica and take Metro Rapid bus to downtown LA.

What is your nightly hotel/accomodations budget? Might help to pinpoint areas for your to consider.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:02 AM

63 posts, read 225,301 times
There are many hotels in this area. Cheap slum motels, all the way up to 5 star!

It really depends how much you want to spend to stay. Most rates are really jacked up in the direct area because of the location itself. If you stayed a little further from Nokia/Staples Center it would be a little cheaper. A nice room at a nice hotel could be $150-$200 easily. Where in other areas (not bad areas!) you could probably get the same thing for 1/4-1/2 the cost.

Check out Hotels.com - Hotel rooms with reviews. Discounts and Deals on 85,000 hotels worldwide

Old 06-15-2010, 11:09 AM

yeah we are both university students on a tight budget.
there are some really cheap hotels that actually have pretty good reviews online, but some have said the area is a little off.

one is Stay on 636 South Main Street (socal35 said stay west of main street...what about south main street?) the reviews for this place have said that there are just a lot of homeless people to watch out for. I'm from vancouver so i have always dealt with tons of homeless people, i just want to avoid any other problems.

and the other is the Ritz Milner at 813 S. Flower Street.
the reviews on the place itself are a lot worse, but i didn't see one complaint about the area.

feedback on these? any suggestions?
also we dont plan on being out after about 9 or so at night.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:43 PM

boxingthestars: Yes, generally I would have suggested Main Street is fine; however, I was being conservative given your stated concerns about safety. The general rule of thumb for many downtown residents is to stay WEST of Los Angeles Street (with Main Street being the first "acceptable" street). Truly, Skid Row starts around Los Angeles Street and it gets worse as you move EAST.

That said, there have been a few recent incidents on Main Street (see link below) which caused me to suggest avoiding it. Yes, you would probably be FINE if you stayed there, esp. if you did not walk around after 11pm or Midnight. The area on Main at 4th Street is actually a very SAFE area but as you move south from there it gets a bit more sketchy. The hotel you are talking about is near 6th and Main.

Firefighter Stabbed Outside Cecil Hotel :: blogdowntown

The area around Flower is VERY SAFE.....if you were my sister I'd tell you that you'd be ok in either location but I would suggest the area around FLower as safer with far less unsavory characters around.

Don't let me scare you away as I HIGHLY recommend you check out the Main/Spring/Broadway areas when you are in town. Very interesting and beautiful architecture....and generally safe (even at night).

This area is often referred to as "Gallery Row" (in reference to the many art galleries in the area). There has been a lot of redevelopment with restoration of historic buildings and many new 20 & 30 something young professinals making it one of LA's hottest new neighbhroods.

If you are in town on the 2nd Thursday of the month, I HIGHLY suggest attendnig the Downtown Artwalk wich is held on Spring and Main. It draws huge crowds and is very interesting and fun and FREE to the public.

This is a thread I created about it recently:

Downtown LA's Artwalk: Yes, THIS is Downtown LA

Last edited by SoCal35; 06-15-2010 at 01:00 PM..

Old 06-15-2010, 01:00 PM

THAT Ritz hotel seems good. I'm sure it's nice. I just cant figure out why the rates are so much less than similar hotels. It's walking distance to Nokia for sure. There is also the real Ritz-Carlton hotel. Brand new and pretty much across the street. Although that place is top of the line and will easily cost an arm n' leg!

Personally I would stay at the Sheraton Downtown LA or the Standard downtown LA. Just a rough guess, maybe $150 a night. Make phone calls to get the best rate. Dont fall for the sucker price!

The direct area is just fine. You could easily walk around in the day. When you see the fancy buildings, nice landscapes, families, little kids, etc. you'll feel better about safety.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:51 PM

socal35, you rock. thank you for being so helpful.
Stay is attached to the Cecil, and it is more of a hostel style hotel (the bathrooms arent in the room), so as of now i think we are looking at the Ritz on Flower because it is a real hotel and now your argument for the area has really convinced me.

My only concern now is that people in reviews have said that they saw cockroaches and the place was really gross. We don't have cockroaches on the upper west coast...that might freak me out more than I would like haha.
So thank you too, JP001, I am going to look into a couple other places in the area and we might splurge a little bit since we have a while to save and try to get a good deal!

Old 06-15-2010, 08:32 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,412,266 times
The Ritz Milner hotel is a dump. It used to be the Milner until the Ritz Carltron was built up the street. I guess they hope no one notices the difference.

BoxingStar, I think you girls ought to stay in a better hotel, BonaVenture, Biltmore, Sheraton, something like that. Upping the ante, the new Marriott or Ritz (same building) are quite nice but are going to be pricey.

There are a lot of old dumpy hotels around...I do not think you will be comfortable in one of them

Old 06-15-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingthestars View Post
socal35, you rock. thank you for being so helpful.
Stay is attached to the Cecil, and it is more of a hostel style hotel (the bathrooms arent in the room), so as of now i think we are looking at the Ritz on Flower because it is a real hotel and now your argument for the area has really convinced me.

My only concern now is that people in reviews have said that they saw cockroaches and the place was really gross. We don't have cockroaches on the upper west coast...that might freak me out more than I would like haha.
So thank you too, JP001, I am going to look into a couple other places in the area and we might splurge a little bit since we have a while to save and try to get a good deal!
You are very welcome. I have lived in downtown LA off and on for over 6 years in a 100 year old building. NEVER seen a cockroach that entire time...b/c it is well kept. That hotel MUST be a dump. Spend the cash for one of the other places people are suggesting in the other posts. You will NOT see a cockroach...and feel very safe.

Have a great trip!

Old 06-16-2010, 01:36 AM

Sheraton Los Angeles Hotels: Sheraton Los Angeles Downtown Hotel - Hotel Rooms at sheraton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or