U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 11:38 AM

471 posts, read 1,602,612 times

Advertisements

OMG poster must've never been driving in New York! I remember us driving on the Belt Parkway and some idiot decided to drive on the sidewalk (yes the sidewalk) because the people on the highway weren't going fast enough. And don't even get me started on the Turnpike OR the Garden State PKWY. Had to do it everyday, and sift my car out of 2 toll plazas, trust me when I say SoCal driving is much safer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 01:43 PM

18 posts, read 30,244 times
Since moving away from LA to Philadelphia I have a new faun appreciation for LA drivers. In Philadelphia Traffic lights, Stop signs, and lanes are taken as suggestions not law. EVERYONE talegates! It's pretty funny and scary at the same time when you see 10 cars on the left lane all with 5 to 10 feet of each other on the highway while the right lane is empty. I've had more near death experiences in 1 year of driving in Philadelphia then in 15 years of driving in Los Angeles. I also got into my first accident in Philadelphia after some ******* rear ended me at full speed while I was waiting at a stop light. Luckily I was OK.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:44 AM

1,352 posts, read 3,770,842 times
Sounds like a driver problem, and not a traffic problem

You can always call a cab.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:47 AM

425 posts, read 1,677,827 times
I grew up in Chicago. There is some madness. Not only are they extreme jerks, they want to do 85 mph in the middle of winter (ice - visible or not - be d.amned). Oh, and when they put their blinker on (IF they put their blinker on - you're lucky if they even bother to), they're coming into your lane whether you like it or not and whether there is room for them or not. They are also notorious for driving up the shoulder when traffic jams up (and if you think traffic jams suck on the freeways in LA, I implore you to experience one in Chicago).

Thus far, since living in LA, I have had one jerk seriously cut me off. There are some frustrations about it, for sure, but it's not really that bad. The things that do tick me off is people who drive slow in the fast lane and all the constant braking when there isn't a need for it (I have seen a lot of people just randomly brake for no reason). Honestly, it's not that bad, though.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:08 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,648,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladoll View Post
The things that do tick me off is people who drive slow in the fast lane and all the constant braking when there isn't a need for it
Same here. Also the idiots who feel the need to slam on the binders when they see a cop parked on the shoulder giving someone a ticket. Or a tow truck with its flashing lights on. That can domino into a mile long, all-lane traffic snarl in a matter of minutes. Idiots think they're going to get a ticket from a cop who's outside his car involved in an enforcement stop? Morons, they're all morons.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:36 PM

2,739 posts, read 4,074,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post

As a rough guess, what percentage of L.A. (region) drivers find a way take it in stride vs. the white-knuckled ones?
I'm used to it. I've only had 1 minor accident (an Asian) in 16 years of driving. I'm cool most of the time. A good way to crash though is to hot dog or panick.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:20 PM

981 posts, read 1,846,924 times
Post Statistics echo my impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladoll View Post
I grew up in Chicago. There is some madness. Not only are they extreme jerks, they want to do 85 mph in the middle of winter (ice - visible or not - be d.amned). Oh, and when they put their blinker on (IF they put their blinker on - you're lucky if they even bother to), they're coming into your lane whether you like it or not and whether there is room for them or not. They are also notorious for driving up the shoulder when traffic jams up (and if you think traffic jams suck on the freeways in LA, I implore you to experience one in Chicago).

Thus far, since living in LA, I have had one jerk seriously cut me off. There are some frustrations about it, for sure, but it's not really that bad. The things that do tick me off is people who drive slow in the fast lane and all the constant braking when there isn't a need for it (I have seen a lot of people just randomly brake for no reason). Honestly, it's not that bad, though.
Well, according to this CBS News piece I just read, I-10 in the L.A. area ranks as the 5th deadliest freeway in America, with 1.41 fatal accidents per mile.

America's Deadliest Roads - CBS Evening News - CBS News

That fits well with my perception of being trapped with no way to escape to a shoulder to avoid a crash. You're at the complete mercy of other drivers' decision making, which is often about haste, not safety. There was a palpable claustrophobia and statistics bear it out.

That article also lists I-15 as #4, with 1.52 fatal accidents per mile. I-15 is full of reckless idiots trying to weave through traffic at 100 MPH to get to Las Vegas faster than thousands of other people, as if there's actually a front of the line (it never ends).

I've driven I-15 from Barstow to Las Vegas 3 or 4 times over the years and was constantly getting pushed by L.A. speeders up that long grade. Lots of overheated cars, too, because they're trying to go so fast up a grade and don't respect the limits of their engines. It seems like 80 MPH is the minimum expected speed of the weekend mob. At least I-15 has shoulders most of the way, so you can stay in the right lane as an escape route.

That whole mob mentality is what bothers me about driving in the region. People are probably reacting to the feel of overpopulation, but don't realize they're making it worse.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:50 PM

9,716 posts, read 12,945,002 times
I-10 between Santa Monica and downtown isn't very dangerous because the traffic rarely moves faster than 40 mph. The dangerous part of I-10 is when you get outside of LA. Ditto with I-15. I used to drive I-15 to Vegas on a regular basis and there were always tons of accidents -- even late at night when hardly anyone is on the road. People just drive too fast on I-15. Also, if you have an accident out on the desert on I-15, it can be hours before you get to a hospital. I'm sure that adds to the number of fatalities.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Same here. Also the idiots who feel the need to slam on the binders when they see a cop parked on the shoulder giving someone a ticket. Or a tow truck with its flashing lights on. That can domino into a mile long, all-lane traffic snarl in a matter of minutes. Idiots think they're going to get a ticket from a cop who's outside his car involved in an enforcement stop? Morons, they're all morons.
And even if they aren't giving them a ticket, by the time you notice the officer on the side of the road, they probably already got your speed and could bust you if they wanted.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
Well, according to this CBS News piece I just read, I-10 in the L.A. area ranks as the 5th deadliest freeway in America, with 1.41 fatal accidents per mile.

America's Deadliest Roads - CBS Evening News - CBS News

That fits well with my perception of being trapped with no way to escape to a shoulder to avoid a crash. You're at the complete mercy of other drivers' decision making, which is often about haste, not safety. There was a palpable claustrophobia and statistics bear it out.

That article also lists I-15 as #4, with 1.52 fatal accidents per mile. I-15 is full of reckless idiots trying to weave through traffic at 100 MPH to get to Las Vegas faster than thousands of other people, as if there's actually a front of the line (it never ends).

I've driven I-15 from Barstow to Las Vegas 3 or 4 times over the years and was constantly getting pushed by L.A. speeders up that long grade. Lots of overheated cars, too, because they're trying to go so fast up a grade and don't respect the limits of their engines. It seems like 80 MPH is the minimum expected speed of the weekend mob. At least I-15 has shoulders most of the way, so you can stay in the right lane as an escape route.

That whole mob mentality is what bothers me about driving in the region. People are probably reacting to the feel of overpopulation, but don't realize they're making it worse.
That article notes interstates in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, not just Los Angeles. Just like the entire state of California isn't Los Angeles, the entirety of southern California is not Los Angeles, either. The 10 and the 15 both extend beyond LA and the 15 doesn't even go INTO LA. (Also, the county of San Bernardino sits between Los Angeles/Los Angeles County and Las Vegas/Clark County.) Am I saying that none of the accidents have occurred in Los Angeles? No. However, Los Angeles isn't the only city these accidents have occurred in.

On that note, I am currently in Palo Alto for the summer attending Stanford and I can assure you, drivers are just as bad here as you believe they are in LA. I would actually go so far as to say they are worse, so don't you waltz in here talking trash about LA when northern California is most certainly NOT that great in the driving department, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or