U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 10:09 PM

4,088 posts, read 3,555,972 times

Advertisements

<< I have never seen so many reckless idiots in that density of traffic. Even without the speeding pimped BMWs and SUVs, there was a sense of imminent disaster if one deft maneuver happened to fail. I counted dozens of situations where if a single person hadn't been looking, a crash would have happened. Lots of half lane changes, where someone had to swerve back to their original lane in a split second. Crazy motorcyclists doing lane splitting like a ski slalom. Brakes being slammed on at the last second, etc. And it went on for hours! Hard to imagine anyone much over 65 having the motor skills or alertness to cope with it.>>>

I know! It's bitchin', isn't it If you can handle driving in L.A., man, you can drive anywhere in the world!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 03:02 PM

16,584 posts, read 32,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladoll View Post
so don't you waltz in here talking trash about LA when northern California is most certainly NOT that great in the driving department, either.
I think I love you.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:08 PM

118 posts, read 317,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skreem2 View Post
I use public transportation. It can be done, although the price of an MTA pass is going up next month.
I use public transportation also. I've never found it as bad as a lot of people make it seem.

I hate that the fares increased. But it's still cheaper than gas, insurance, repairs, etc.

By using public transportation, I've avoided any stress associated with traffic in Los Angeles.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:54 PM

6,264 posts, read 10,358,097 times
Funny how traffic in LA-OC area becomes somewhat transparent when you are riding a motorcycle!

Sure, riding a 2-wheel vehicle could get you killed but so can drinking a can of soda pop without cleaning it first. Also getting stuck in a bumper to bumper traffic is hell. Considering the number of cars and drivers in LA Metro, I don't feel traffic and drivers are all that bad (but not saying things are peachy either).

As population grows so does the traffic congestion. Traffic wise Nor Cal is just as bad. D.C. area is the same is not worse.
People think California drivers are bad but pay a visit to Phoenix. Hardly any traffic but the variety of bad drivers will send chills down the most seasoned drivers. The problem with a new city like Phoenix is that there are many people from all over the country relocating with their own style of driving and no one's driving habit seems to compliments the others, creating an incoherent flow. From what I have seen, the most -dangerously- aggressive and rude drivers were from East Coast (NY, Detroit, NJ and Chi-Town).
FL also has its share of bad drivers. So Cal drivers are generally fast but not that aggressive imo. At least for the most part they are cautious and attuned.

I know I will get flamed for saying this but typically the worse drivers are those on their cell phones without bluetooth, older ladies especially if their are from another country (yikes), panicky soccer-moms and teens who think texting is more important than paying attention to the road. The aforementioned types are prone to drag the far left lane of the freeways if they are driving in that lane. I do not know why the slowest drivers even want to occupy the far left lane or don't take a hint from those passing them from their right while giving them a "Go to Hell!" look. Next time you see a crappy drivers, look for signs of them being an out of towner, chances are they relocated from somewhere else not too long ago.

When there is an influx of foreign (domestic and other) drivers in an area that is when the problem starts and usually doesn't get better until they fully assimilate and reshape their driving style/habits.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:17 PM

118 posts, read 317,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
typically the worse drivers are those on their cell phones without bluetooth...
The governor's wife, for example.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:02 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,692,704 times
You call LA Traffic Horrible? Try NYC Rush Hour Train station foot traffic , apparently people can't merge on foot either

YouTube - Penn Station New York Mad Crowded Craziness

YouTube - New York Penn Station - VERY CROWDED

Old 07-12-2010, 02:15 AM

13 posts, read 17,535 times
Quote:
If you can handle driving in L.A., man, you can drive anywhere in the world!

SO, everybody here say that to me. I am going to have my driver licence soon ( first time!!! I can't afford it in France, it's 1800 euros, and it takes at least one year for passing the road test, if you are good and if your drive school doesn't close his door).

I am NOT agree at all!! Drive to Paris, drive to Italy ( Sicilia.... ) and after, you can drive anywhere else.

I never be so cool in a car that in LA, so I dont know how it is in the US country, but in LA that's so cool to drive! You don't have traffic issues, I am sorry.

People are polite ( don't learn french before going to Paris, nor Italian for Italy, or you would be very sad and depressed... ), they respect you, they respect the priority and the signals...

You don't have f*cking Round abouts....

No, I definitly don't agree!

It's the same for the subway stations, you want to die in there. Try it during a day of national strike, so fun!

Old 07-12-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolangeles View Post
SO, everybody here say that to me. I am going to have my driver licence soon ( first time!!! I can't afford it in France, it's 1800 euros, and it takes at least one year for passing the road test, if you are good and if your drive school doesn't close his door).

I am NOT agree at all!! Drive to Paris, drive to Italy ( Sicilia.... ) and after, you can drive anywhere else.

I never be so cool in a car that in LA, so I dont know how it is in the US country, but in LA that's so cool to drive! You don't have traffic issues, I am sorry.
Nothing like a saucy, feisty French chick telling you that you are a wimp!

You tell 'em girl!

Quote:
You don't have f*cking Round abouts....
Love the honesty. My first roundabout experience in this country was in Phoenix couple of years ago during a rush hour. OMFG, it could have been a Benny Hill video if someone was recording that moment. Pop in Dead or Alive's 'You Spin Me Right Round' CD and you'd be in for the ride of your life...
I still don't know how the f I got out in one piece!
Roundabouts in a new city where people are not used to it, is almost like giving a young kid a loaded gun.

Quote:
It's the same for the subway stations, you want to die in there. Try it during a day of national strike, so fun!
Slow down lady, we haven't even sorted out the mess above the ground yet!

All joking aside, I totally agree with you, compared to Europe or Asia, there are no traffic issues here in the US. Over there they have multi lane roads without lines dividing lanes. Here, they at least made most of it 'idiot proof'....well, they at least tried.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:51 PM

13 posts, read 17,535 times
Yeah you're right.

I didn't understand all of your post, please, don't try to be ironic or whatever, I can't understand this for now

I am learning english since 6 months, I am on this website to write a little.

I am glad that I can pass the written test in french, so scared!!!!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I am learning english since 6 months, I am on this website to write a little.
I see, so, you have been butchering the English language for 6 months, huh?

Hehe....well, join the club. I have been doing it for 20 years. I am a freaking expert at this point.

Quote:
Yeah you're right.

I didn't understand all of your post, please, don't try to be ironic or whatever, I can't understand this for now

I am glad that I can pass the written test in french, so scared!!!!
Ok, I will tone it down about for you since you asked so nicely!
Besides you are 33.333% safer since you are married.

But really, don't worry about not getting everything I write, most people don't (and the others probably ignore). Heck half the time I don't even know what the hell I was thinking when I wrote a post.

This country is wayyyy to nice. Nowadays the DMV Driver Handbook comes in in almost any common language you can think of. How many languages does the driver handbook come in France?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or