U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-15-2010, 01:38 PM

2,262 posts, read 4,240,966 times
Default Montecito Heights

My husband & I (& our 4 1/2 month baby) are thinking about buying one of those houses built into the side of the hill (mountain?) in Montecito Heights.

What can you tell me about that area? Crime, people, etc...

Also, I'm nervous about earthquakes/mudslides. My husband says that the houses are really well built w/ earthquakes in mind. What do you say?

The house is near where Latrobe meets Montecito drive, and a short walk to the edge of Debs Park, but (according to Googlemaps) it's about a 4.5 mile walk/drive to get INTO the park. We'd have to go all the way around the park to the other side? Is that so? Or can I walk to, say, Debs Lake (Pond?) from my house?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 01:55 PM

7,413 posts, read 2,797,836 times
Montecito Hts is in fairly steep foothills across the Pasadena freeway from Mt Washington. The Debs parkland is very convenient and the distance from downtown & Pasadena is an easy commute. They do have occasional wild fires in the hills around Montecito Heights but I have never heard of much mud sliding. During El Nino winters there are mudslide anywhere in the foothills of Los Angeles but not as bad as below the San Gabriel mountains in places like La Crescenta\ La Canada\ Altadena\ Sierra Madre.

There aren't any stores in the Montecito Hts area because it is all residential with lots of open land. The lowland neighborhoods near the Arroyo Seco [ie Highland Park\ El Sereno] are tougher areas with some gang activity & poor people so biking\ picnicking in the Arroyo Seco parks can be sketchy.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:02 PM

Awesome info, thanks!

Any idea of where I could swim laps that is close to there?

Old 06-15-2010, 05:17 PM

9 posts, read 19,663 times
I live in Montecito Heights. There are lots of ways into Debs Park from our neighborhood, other than the formal entrances you see on the map. Houses properly built on hillsides are better off in earthquakes because they are attached to bedrock. Highland Park and El Sereno are great communities. Yes, some poor people live there and some gang activity occurs but it is very hip and artsy--those things go together. We like being ungentrified and a little edgy. Picnicking and biking here safe and interesting. Everyone is friendly and courteous.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:53 PM

7,413 posts, read 2,797,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Awesome info, thanks!

Any idea of where I could swim laps that is close to there?
Honestly I don't know the area well enough to recommend a swimming pool [maybe the house you live in will have one]. The Swim Club near the Rose Bowl isn't that far away and there is a great little golf course in the Arroyo that is lite up at night where you can drink beer while golfing & rent horses.

As far as earthquake safety. There were houses that collapsed on steep hillside during the Northridge earthquake but most hills are safer than the lowlands due to bedrock and no liquefaction common in the LA basin.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:05 PM

You have no idea of how relieved I am to hear that about the bedrock!

Thanks, guys!

Old 06-15-2010, 10:57 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,905,443 times
I lived in MH for about two years and loved it. Hiked up in Debs lotsa times with my family, dogs, etc. Love the pond at the top with the frogs. We almost bought a house up in Evadale that was just around the corner from another entrance to Debs. Never had a problem with crime. We only moved because we got a house in Mt Washington, across the arroyo. The neighbors are very involved in Heritage Square events, preserving open space on Radio Hill, etc. We liked it up there alot.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:03 AM

Just an update on Montecito Heights. As I mentioned, I was concerned about earthquakes, etc...

Our inspector found some "troubling" stuff in regards to cracks in the foundation so we hired a structural engineer to look at it.

If I may quote:

"One decent earthquake and this house will fall."

It wasn't even the cracks in the foundation (which weren't great, of course), but the way the house had been built. The beams, bolting, etc... (he estimated it would cost anywhere from $25k to $50k to fix)

Not. Good. Suffice to say, we didn't buy the house.

For for any future people thinking of buying a house in the hills, I HIGHLY recommend getting a structural engineer to take a look at it. It was well worth the $350.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:24 PM

6 posts, read 21,157 times
Default Montecito Heights rosehills

is Montecito Heights a great area too live i just seen rosehills is that area a good place too '

Old 02-22-2011, 10:06 PM

2,233 posts, read 2,229,397 times
Californio sur, I feel I should correct you.
The Pasadena freeway no longer exist.
It has been the arroyo seco parkway for about a year now.
Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles