U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-27-2010, 11:31 AM

5,967 posts, read 10,335,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
Okay... I may be a bit naive... but why wouldn't you drink the tap water in LA? I mean is there something wrong with it?
there is absolutely nothing wrong with the water, the city spends millions (if not billions) to make sure tap water is potable. the sad part is that most of this clean, very drinkable water is used for watering lawns, which doesn't need to be purified. unless you have bad pipes (not the city's fault and can be fixed with a PUR or Brita filter), it's a waste to buy bottled water IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-27-2010, 11:12 PM

5,110 posts, read 10,722,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchgirl View Post
this may also depend on what part of the city you live in. in the 80's we received a notice from the city (venice) NOT to use tap water for your fish tanks. it might have been for a certain time period as they might have been fixing them at the time, but seeing the rust that has come out of the pipes at times is enough to know i'm not drinking that. we also don't have a dish washer and the dishes in the drain provide a very scary gunk on the counter underneath it. i can't imagine what it is but i also wouldn't want that in my body. use a filter or a filter bottle if you're going to drink from the tap. it isn't that expensive and better safe than sorry.
The heavy water and some of the treatment isn't good for the fish. If you have a fish tank at home you probably use tablets or powder to soften/purify/whatever the water, particular fish that depend on a stable environment in order to remain healthy like tropical fish

Unread 03-14-2012, 02:45 AM

1 posts, read 699 times
Hi pty1196,

Tap water is not always good for humans health. Try to have filtered, boiled or mineral water in your daily diet.

Most municipal water flows through lead pipes that contains harmful toxins and pollutants that cause Typhoid fever, Cholera, etc. So try to consume clean and safe drinking water for your better health.

I hope my answer might help you . Take care of your health

Unread 03-14-2012, 04:19 AM

1,343 posts, read 1,072,091 times
Filtered Water should be good

Unread 03-14-2012, 06:42 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,219,771 times
I buy a Brita filter pitcher. Its cheap. You can buy it at Target. Google it,. Works great. Why buy water when you can use the Brita pitcher? You just put tap water in it and it filters it in a few minutes.

Unread 03-14-2012, 12:00 PM

7,575 posts, read 8,281,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The water is fine from the tap. Although I will agree with Chatteress that at times it can look bad depending on where you are. In Ventura the water gets bad when the lake turns. Not sure what that means, but that is what they tell you when the water looks dirty or taste bad. I have a filter as well to clean it up.

Saying that my wife prefers to drink bottled water.
The annual turn over due to the thermocline breaking down in late winter / spring.

Thermocline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unread 03-14-2012, 12:02 PM

7,575 posts, read 8,281,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchgirl View Post
this may also depend on what part of the city you live in. in the 80's we received a notice from the city (venice) NOT to use tap water for your fish tanks. it might have been for a certain time period as they might have been fixing them at the time, but seeing the rust that has come out of the pipes at times is enough to know i'm not drinking that. we also don't have a dish washer and the dishes in the drain provide a very scary gunk on the counter underneath it. i can't imagine what it is but i also wouldn't want that in my body. use a filter or a filter bottle if you're going to drink from the tap. it isn't that expensive and better safe than sorry.
Due to use of an Ammonia-Chlorine mixture as opposed to plain old Chlorine.

The fish cannot tolerate the high concentration of ammonium ions.

Unread 03-14-2012, 01:52 PM

2,757 posts, read 2,309,122 times
One of the first things I do when I go to LA is go to Ralphs and buy bottled water, drinking that LA tap water gives me diahrreah

Unread 03-14-2012, 02:45 PM

786 posts, read 1,089,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
One of the first things I do when I go to LA is go to Ralphs and buy bottled water, drinking that LA tap water gives me diahrreah
When a quality synthetic oil is used in an engine that was previously run on a basic dino oil, there is often a cleansing effect whereby sludge is removed, causing some leaking. Perhaps our quality water has a similar effect on your system.

Unread 03-14-2012, 02:53 PM

7,721 posts, read 8,820,552 times
I have measured Tap Water in OC, LB and the BayArea and the particles were exactly equal (@ .23 purity) to a bottle of water from Whole Foods.

Drink tap water in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles