U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:39 PM

21 posts, read 66,584 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm moving to the East Side of LA in a couple of months and was curious about flight paths and airplane noise specifically in the neighborhoods of Echo Park and Silver Lake.

Right now I'm living in the Bronx, NY, about 25 miles from JFK and 20 miles from LGA. Every single day after 4pm I have to listen to planes literally every 10-15 min pass overhead until around 10pm. I've lived here for over 20 years and it's something I never got used to. Summers are the worst, you have to jack the tv up all the way if you have the windows open.

It's something I would love to be able to get away from. I live far enough away from the airports but obviously I'm trapped in a flight path. So I was wondering if anyone here lives on the East Side and can comment on the noise of planes, if it's a problem or not. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 08:46 PM

69,460 posts, read 79,677,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbhb View Post
Hi all, I'm moving to the East Side of LA in a couple of months and was curious about flight paths and airplane noise specifically in the neighborhoods of Echo Park and Silver Lake.

Right now I'm living in the Bronx, NY, about 25 miles from JFK and 20 miles from LGA. Every single day after 4pm I have to listen to planes literally every 10-15 min pass overhead until around 10pm. I've lived here for over 20 years and it's something I never got used to. Summers are the worst, you have to jack the tv up all the way if you have the windows open.

It's something I would love to be able to get away from. I live far enough away from the airports but obviously I'm trapped in a flight path. So I was wondering if anyone here lives on the East Side and can comment on the noise of planes, if it's a problem or not. Thanks!
first of all Echo Park, etc isn't considered the east side and no you will not have to worry about flight noise...

Old 06-17-2010, 12:44 AM

448 posts, read 1,342,653 times
Uh-oh OP, you better edit your post and take out "eastside." You're gonna start a whole other discussion and not get the answer you're looking for. This debate (from last I heard) was finally settled and that area of Silver Lake, Echo Park, Los Feliz is not considered the eastside.

One popular LA website (Curbed LA) had voters choose a new name and the area is now referred collectively as North Central (not sure if it'll catch on).

To answer your question, that area is far away from any airports so you should be fine.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:29 AM

7,092 posts, read 18,460,496 times
the closest airport to silverlake/echo park is in burbank, but there is a mountain between the two areas. the flights paths for LAX are south of downtown. airplane noise won't be an issue, but helicopter noise may be.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:07 PM

134 posts, read 418,184 times
Wow, you've lived there 20 years and the noise still bothered you! I got so used to it that I didn't hear them at all. In LA the flight path follows Century Blvd to LAX. Century Blvd is south from Silverlake/Echo Park by about 10 miles. You might hear helicopters from time to time but I doubt you'll have any problems with commercial aircrafts.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:17 PM

21 posts, read 66,584 times
LABornandRaised: HA! Yeah, I saw I already got a little bit of humpf right off the bat. I've been traveling to LA for over 15 years now on a semi-regular basis and have always just used Hollywood as a central location. Anything east of Hollywood to me is east and vice versa. I've been told many times I should use the river as a central figure. Hard to break old habits I guess.

Apollyoncruiser: It's strange, I never got over the planes. I don't hear the yelling, the blasting radios, the cars, the kids, nothing. But the planes for some reason come in loud and clear. One just blasted over as I was typing, seriously.

Thanks to everyone for your answers on noise issue!

Old 06-18-2010, 03:07 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,085,714 times
great, another know nothing transplant...

anyhow. unless you live south of washington, you wont really hear too many planes. there are small airports scattered throughout LA county. but none in or around hispster heights (Echo, SL, Los Feliz)

Old 06-18-2010, 03:31 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,690,475 times
You should be fine.

Old 06-18-2010, 04:59 PM

938 posts, read 3,575,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
Sadly, this city has become overrun with them: http://laist.com/upload/2010/06/migrationmap-laco.jpg

them = people with pre-conceived notions about the city and its people; come here, during an economic crisis, with no job, and expect to make it big; whine about traffic when they are the ones who *always* drive and rarely use alternative options such as mass transit or cycling; ultimately, it seems as if many are never happy with their new home and constantly try to reinvent their old home here (NY'ers complaining about bagels and pizza, lol), blah blah, etc.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:41 PM

38,803 posts, read 19,600,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
That's kinda rude IMO. I realize there are many ignorant posters in the LA Forum that ask all sorts of oddball questions but it seems that the question posed by the OP is something he is legitimately concerned with. No need to be snippy about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles