U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:34 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,407,078 times

Advertisements

Because some of the population is closer to lower forms of life than humans, devoid of common sense, under-socialized and stupid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 05:02 PM

787 posts, read 1,627,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Because some of the population is closer to lower forms of life than humans, devoid of common sense, under-socialized and stupid!

Are you describing parts of Los Angeles or the Bible Belt?

Old 06-19-2010, 05:04 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,407,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
Are you describing parts of Los Angeles or the Bible Belt?
In context, LA. This is just one of many I can think of going back to at least 1965.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:33 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,856,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
If you look at the footage, who is doing the damage? Young men. That's it. And these guys were just using the Lakers' win as an excuse. Large, mostly male crowd + alcohol = bad outcome!

Actually, it bothers me that "mob mentality" is supposed to be an excuse and some sort of free pass. If my son had been involved in this and he called me from jail, I'd leave him there! Anyone in those crowds could have simply walked away if they chose to.

The LAPD should have been more prepared and hired extra officers from other cities if they had to. And none of this BS about having to ask for permission to step up the weapons, either! What if an officer had been killed while permission was being asked?

How did our society become this way? I know that rioting has become more prevalent in recent years, and it doesn't matter whether the team won or lost, but since when did the very social structure disappear? There was a time when this wouldn't have happened, because only a select few would dare do it, and they'd get in serious trouble as a result! Media coverage doesn't help, either, unless the footage is simply used to catch and incarcerate the troublemakers. Glorify the hoodlums; get them on camera. Great idea!
As a matter of fact, the LAPD used footage from TV stations & private tapes of last year's rioting and were able to make more arrests as a result. The LAPD said the bulk of the rioters were males between the ages of 15-25. Many came onto Figueroa from nearby bars and were ready to cause trouble more than celebrate the Laker's victory. Testosterone and alcohol make for mucho macho idiots.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:36 PM

14,095 posts, read 23,017,840 times
New Orleans Saints won the Super Bowl and they didn't riot.
LSU won the NCAA football and basketball trophy and Baton Rouge didn't riot.
[quote=Charles;14679883]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post

When was the last time a Portland or Omaha team won a national championship?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a riot on the campus of a college that just won a national championship.

Here are a couple of examples:

YouTube - University of Minnesota Hockey Riots

YouTube - The Penn State Riot

YouTube - Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Protesters riot party downtown

YouTube - 2010 WINTER OLYMPICS RIOT!?!?!!!

Old 06-19-2010, 05:46 PM

17,449 posts, read 23,026,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
In context, LA. This is just one of many I can think of going back to at least 1965.
Further back than that.

On another thread I mentioned reading about a Stars/Angels game at Gilmore Field in the '50s which had to be stopped because of so many of the fans throwing bottles at the Angels.

No doubt if SoCal didn't have such a good economy back then and a sense of hope and faith in the future such events would have been more common.

Human beings in large crowds can be exceptionally volatile even in the best of times. In bad times, there's even fewer restrictions to hold them back. And not just in L.A., but everywhere on the planet. Even Missouri.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:46 PM

3,860 posts, read 3,171,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think there's a thug culture in L.A. that's very difficult to eliminate. It's an outgrowth of an underclass that perpetuates itself year after year.
You are correct in this, LA's gang culture and it's wannabe gang culture has adopted the LA Lakers as an extension of the LA territory, just like they did the Raiders in the past. If you watched the Local News in the last day or so or looked at pictures in the LA Times a certain segment of LA's Latino gangs have embraced the Lakers.

This is probably similar to England's Soccer Hooligan's to a certain extent that use any excuse to riot in the name of their hometeams throughout Europe whih has got them banned from places in the past. Will it happen again? If the Lakers win again next year, I'd put money on it. http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...1.photogallery Check out the photos and read some of the comments LA Times readers left. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMdi-...layer_embedded And the Video

Last edited by antarez; 06-19-2010 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 06-19-2010, 05:48 PM

425 posts, read 274,052 times
Basketball is the thug sport of choice.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:56 PM

17,449 posts, read 23,026,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
New Orleans Saints won the Super Bowl and they didn't riot.
Because of the collective experience of what New Orleans had been through with Katrina, coupled with the Saints being viewed as underdogs with the whole USA becoming honorary members of the "Who Dat Nation".

NY is hardly immune to sports violence by any means but if the Yankees had won the 2001 World Series, if the Jets or Giants had won the 2002 Super Bowl, or if the Knicks had won the 2002 NBA championship, there would not have been rioting due to the collective experience of 9/11.

Disasters have a way of bringing people together.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:12 PM

3,860 posts, read 3,171,356 times
For those that blame the venues for selling alcohol. Most beer sold at Stadiums,Concerts and in Utah have a lower Alcohol content then what's bought at the store. Most of the Alcohol fueled stupidity is from those that drink before and after and those that bring their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles