U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2010, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,413 posts, read 7,824,032 times
Reputation: 1802

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
For those that blame the venues for selling alcohol. Most beer sold at Stadiums,Concerts and in Utah have a lower Alcohol content then what's bought at the store. Most of the Alcohol fueled stupidity is from those that drink before and after and those that bring their own.
Interesting point. I wonder how we could find out if Dodger stadium and Staple's center sell a lower alcohol beer? Just attending baseball games, my guess is that they sell regular beer. Toward the later endings, you see people staggering and the noise increases. On Christmas day the fans at Staples were so drunk that they began throwing objects onto the court [aimed at the Lakers

All the bars downtown especially around Staples were packed and many of those patrons left drunk. This occurred all over the city especially at sports bars. There have been near riots even in Pasadena when the Lakers win championships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2010, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,449 posts, read 22,948,866 times
Reputation: 7246
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
For those that blame the venues for selling alcohol. Most beer sold at Stadiums,Concerts and in Utah have a lower Alcohol content then what's bought at the store.
Also true at football (soccer) stadiums in the UK.

That just means people drink more in the parking lots and in the pubs right nearby or smuggle their own in.

Staples does have a large number of bars within walking distance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2010, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
787 posts, read 1,622,673 times
Reputation: 372
The National Geographic Article posted by Charles (earlier in this thread) about sports and mob violence had the following quote from a Professor at Xavier University:


While alcohol is also often cited for its role in such incidents, it may not be the most important factor, End believes.

"Alcohol plays a role, and sometimes it's pointed out as the ultimate villain, the sole contributor," he said. "But there are a lot of other things going on. They serve alcohol at church socials and in the theater, but you don't see these kinds of behaviors."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2010, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
14,095 posts, read 22,963,452 times
Reputation: 7957
Lakers violence: Authorities release raw video of mob attacking cab, seek public's help [Updated] | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times
LA police want publics help on information on rioters who attacked a cab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2010, 05:58 PM
 
3,845 posts, read 3,160,344 times
Reputation: 2432
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Interesting point. I wonder how we could find out if Dodger stadium and Staple's center sell a lower alcohol beer? Just attending baseball games, my guess is that they sell regular beer. Toward the later endings, you see people staggering and the noise increases. On Christmas day the fans at Staples were so drunk that they began throwing objects onto the court [aimed at the Lakers

All the bars downtown especially around Staples were packed and many of those patrons left drunk. This occurred all over the city especially at sports bars. There have been near riots even in Pasadena when the Lakers win championships.
It' a few percentage points lower usually if it's coming from a tap/keg it's to help with these kind of issues, I can't remember the exact number, Utah also usually has more watered down beer (Mormon State) also, how do I know? Was a brewery worker once. If you still drink enough you will get drunk, just a few more p*** breaks needed. Malt Liquor has an even higher alcohol content and that's why you usually don't see Olde English,King Cobra or Steel Reserve sold at these places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2010, 06:01 PM
 
3,845 posts, read 3,160,344 times
Reputation: 2432
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Also true at football (soccer) stadiums in the UK.

That just means people drink more in the parking lots and in the pubs right nearby or smuggle their own in.

Staples does have a large number of bars within walking distance.
Go to any concert or sports event. Tailgate paties usually have beer,marijuana and other substances. Although security and Cops do try to monitor this, it's hard to see what someone does in their car. There is also a great incentive to bring your own, last concert I went to a bottle of beer was $ 14.00 each, if you usually put away 6 or more in a few hours it can get pricey, unlike some people I generally maintain/behave myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2010, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,413 posts, read 7,824,032 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
Go to any concert or sports event. Tailgate paties usually have beer,marijuana and other substances. Although security and Cops do try to monitor this, it's hard to see what someone does in their car. There is also a great incentive to bring your own, last concert I went to a bottle of beer was $ 14.00 each, if you usually put away 6 or more in a few hours it can get pricey, unlike some people I generally maintain/behave myself.
LAPD slams the door on tailgaters - Los Angeles Times

This year the police were pro-active in arresting people at tailgate parties at Dodger stadium after last year's fights and even a guy got stabbed.

"Opening day has become a massive tailgating party, really a drinking fest, and unfortunately a lot of people can't control themselves," Murphy said. "A Dodger game opening day is like a guys' night out thing, where you have 15 guys who meet up. It's different from any other day. It's a lot of males, in their 20s and 30s, getting together and bonding." LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2010, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
Reputation: 17410

YouTube - Crowd Vandalizes and Burns Taxi in Los Angeles Following Lakers Victory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2010, 06:27 PM
 
3,845 posts, read 3,160,344 times
Reputation: 2432
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
LAPD slams the door on tailgaters - Los Angeles Times

This year the police were pro-active in arresting people at tailgate parties at Dodger stadium after last year's fights and even a guy got stabbed.

"Opening day has become a massive tailgating party, really a drinking fest, and unfortunately a lot of people can't control themselves," Murphy said. "A Dodger game opening day is like a guys' night out thing, where you have 15 guys who meet up. It's different from any other day. It's a lot of males, in their 20s and 30s, getting together and bonding." LA Times
Unfortunately these people ruin for everyone else. You always find drunk ,belligerant people at these places and it's too bad that children and families have to see this.

This is why they stopped having the LA street scene in the 80's. If you ever see LAPD on horseback galloping into a crowd it's amazing how fast people scatter. I saw someone throw an empty fith bottle of Jack Daniels at a mounted cop from a distance and it missed and pegged the horse on the side of it's face and knocked it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2010, 02:44 AM
 
44 posts, read 98,944 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Still no answers as to what causes people to do this...
alcohol but also you're dealing with a degenerate underclass.

There is a certain mob mentality about it. You may have some instigators who would be committing violence anyway and then others who get caught up in the excitement who are part of the same deviant subculture. People who are part of mainstream society are rewarded socially for good behavior but people who are part of the thug culture are rewarded by their peers for acting like a thug.

People that are part of this deviant subculture have different norms and values that are in constant conflict with mainstream society and when lawlessness breaks down and their is no authority to keep them in line they see it as an opportunity to increase their standing within their peer group. That is why you see so many of the thugs taking photos and videos of what they are doing. They want to show their peers because that behavior is rewarded.

Last edited by drew9000; 06-20-2010 at 03:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top