Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:23 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew9000 View Post
you're dealing with a degenerate underclass.

the same deviant subculture.
part of the thug culture

in constant conflict with mainstream society
What about the Penn State and University of Minnesota riots I provided YouTube links to? Are those people as you describe above?

Or, is there a revenge seeking, "mob mentality" component in all of us? Are these people capitalizing on the power of numbers, group passions (with a catalyst from alcohol) and lack of authority to get back at "The Man" and have a little fun doing it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 09:31 AM

44 posts, read 112,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What about the Penn State and University of Minnesota riots I provided YouTube links to? Are those people as you describe above?

Or, is there a revenge seeking, "mob mentality" component in all of us? Are these people capitalizing on the power of numbers, group passions (with a catalyst from alcohol) and lack of authority to get back at "The Man" and have a little fun doing it?
they're likely motivated by the same thing. There are instigators and there is some mob mentality involved. I guess what you're asking is if this behavior can be found in college students as well as thugs then the main component isn't really class. But I'm pretty sure you'd find that those involved in the actual rioting are not your average college student. They may not even be enrolled in the college but even if they are they would be on the fringe of their peer group and experience the same kind of alienation and strain that the thug does. So yeah it may be revenge against authority but the people actually doing the violence in these incidents are just looking for the opportunity, they aren't filled with so much jubilation that their team one that they can't control themselves.

this applies to the minnesota video..i don't think the penn state video could be classified as a riot

Old 06-20-2010, 04:06 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times
[quote=Charles;14679883]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post

When was the last time a Portland or Omaha team won a national championship?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a riot on the campus of a college that just won a national championship.

Here are a couple of examples:

YouTube - University of Minnesota Hockey Riots

YouTube - The Penn State Riot

YouTube - Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics Protesters riot party downtown

YouTube - 2010 WINTER OLYMPICS RIOT!?!?!!!
Here's an article about the penn state riot,

Penn State Riot Follows Huge Win at Ohio State - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Said it caused no serious damage and will quickly be forgotten.

Here's a wikipedia list of civil unrest.

List of incidents of civil unrest in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Vancouver rioting was more about business and capitalism, than necessarily the games.

Rioting Begins At Vancouver Olympics - SBNation.com

They look like the world trade organization (wto) protestors, at least ideologically.

But I think most major cities in America have never had 1 riot, like the one in downtown la several nights ago. There have already been riots twice in 2 years.

With college football, the allegiance that fans have with some teams is many times greater than usc or ucla. Like Cornhusker football, Alabama, University of Florida, etc. Some teams could win multiple championships and never see something like the lakers.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:47 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
Riots can start fairly easily. The recent May Day demonstration in Santa Cruz is an example. The police were a little irked that the parade started at night and that people came out of bars to join the parade which was partly a protest over the Arizona law. Then several anarchists decided to join in and went on a rampage breaking store windows and writing graffiti on buildings. The store owners were upset because they supported the demonstration anti-Arizona theme but their stores were vandalize anyway.

The store owners near Staples were very likely as thrilled by the Lakers victory as anyone in the crowd yet their property was senselessly vandalized by a group of drunk idiots.

I still can not get over the fact that a couple dozen drunks walked out onto the Harbor Freeway! At that hour I'm sure the traffic was moving at a good speed and accidents could have resulted in many deaths. Those people are worst than drunken idiots; they are criminal idiots.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:20 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,219 times
Excellent article by Sandy Banks in today's paper:

65,000 Angelenos can't be wrong - latimes.com

Old 06-22-2010, 07:26 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
It's kind of a human thing. One person is at peace, two will fall in love, three will argue, and four will wage war.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:22 PM

787 posts, read 1,942,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Excellent article by Sandy Banks in today's paper:

65,000 Angelenos can't be wrong - latimes.com
Yes...good article. Her (or is it a he?) proposal is a very provocative one:
set up public viewing areas at LA Live or Perhsing Square for true fans to gather and watch the games live. The large number of true fans MIGHT counter the darker forces that appeared last Thursday night.

In a city noted for its lack of grand public gathering spaces, there are too few opportunities for communal events that bring a large swath of the city together.

Granted given what has happened the last two years, I doubt any city leader will want to take that risk. Good to see the parade was smooth sailing....

Old 06-22-2010, 11:58 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
I used to love Los Angeles many years ago when it was a decent city and attracted people with a purpose in life. Now, it is a sewer hole of gangs & corruption to the point where it is almost like the Detroit of the west coast. Even the so called Hollywood elite are basically wealthy bums. Go ahead and boycott Arizona, and make fools of yourselves. Go ahead and riot and tear down your own community over a stupid NBA championship! This Arizonan at one time even considered living in or near L.A., but I won't go anywhere near there now. Enjoy your riots, and try to stay safe in your expensive rat pit of a city!

Old 06-23-2010, 12:16 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
This Arizonan at one time even considered living in or near L.A., but I won't go anywhere near there now.
Damn! And I was just telling the wife this morning how much I'd like to have you as a neighbor. Please reconsider.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:15 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I used to love Los Angeles many years ago when it was a decent city and attracted people with a purpose in life. Now, it is a sewer hole of gangs & corruption to the point where it is almost like the Detroit of the west coast. Even the so called Hollywood elite are basically wealthy bums. Go ahead and boycott Arizona, and make fools of yourselves. Go ahead and riot and tear down your own community over a stupid NBA championship! This Arizonan at one time even considered living in or near L.A., but I won't go anywhere near there now. Enjoy your riots, and try to stay safe in your expensive rat pit of a city!

Great comedy sketch....I am in stitches. I think the desert sun has baked your brains.

You might be able to do a stand-up routine out here with that stuff. Don't sweat it pal...I've got a bullet proof vest you can borrow.

By the way, the crime rate in LA is LOWER than it is in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles