U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 07:45 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'll bet there's a stronger correlation between age at marriage with education level than there is with location (city, state). From the table above, notice the states with the older marriages probably have higher education levels. Utah is a whacked out religious anomaly but otherwise its the Vermonts, New Hampshires and Connecticuts vs the Alabamas, Tennessees, and Mississippis.
I am sure the average age is related to education in most cases, yes, except for Utah.. it also in influenced by inner city, versus burbs and rural areas. this is an interesting study or thread but I am not sure the purpose truthfully..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 02:22 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,575,834 times
That is sort of truth. I can't see myself getting married before 30 because married people under 30 are more likely to divorce. They tend to marry for the wrong reasons, 99.5% of the time.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post

I'm a Christian and got married at 21. A lot of my friends (female) were married by 24, but we were all virgins/didn't live with our boyfriends so it really depends on who you are talking to. I've lived in L.A. my entire life and when I tell people I got married at 21 people are always so surprised. A lot of Christians or Mormons marry young. I'm very happy I got married when I did and don't regret it at all. I love my husband
More power to ya. How did you and your husband meet?

Old 06-19-2010, 02:28 PM

I was wondering, aren't people in LA and California more likely to divorce too?

Old 06-19-2010, 05:44 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,948,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I was wondering, aren't people in LA and California more likely to divorce too?
In the past, this was true - but the red states now lead in divorce

Bible Belt Leads U.S. In Divorces

Couldn't find anything more recent than 1999, but I sense this is still true.

I'm sure the increase in the Latino and Asian populations in California has lowered the divorce rate from where it used to be.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:52 PM

402 posts, read 894,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
As an "old person" I actually like that. Been married 25-years and we were both 26 when we married so it appears that we average out in Charles' post. I can understand, however, why the age of marriage is increasing. It's kinda hard hard to really get to know someone through Facebook IM and phone text messaging .

(Both of which, BTW, I partake in)

Yeah it's tough, and even tougher in California. For one, you have to be educated to live here. If you're not, you better work two jobs or you will not survive. Either way, a lot of time is spent either engaged in getting your education/building your career, or simply working.

So by the time you get your career together and earn enough for a comfortable living here, you may already be 30+ (most likely). Then, take into account that more and more people live at home in their 20's (again, because of the cost of living) and stay in the "party" mentality longer. Many psychologists say that the adult years do not begin until age 29 now . . . 29!!

All of these factors make it tougher and tougher to meet people, and especially people that are looking to make a committment. You are right, the digital age has just made it even tougher.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:00 PM

3,022 posts, read 5,541,168 times
I was married when I was 7. It didn't last long, though.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:30 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,739,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
I was married when I was 7. It didn't last long, though.
Did your prenuptial agreement outline who kept the roller skates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles