U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 11:16 AM

20 posts, read 74,619 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I work in Simi Valley and need to find an apartment for rent.....I was wondering if any of you know about West Hollywood? Is it a safe place to live? I heard that North Hollywood is not that great.....I'm a single woman and I try my best to live in good neighborhoods.....

Is there any good/nice apartments to rent in West Hollywood? At least one bedroom for around $1500 to $1700 will work for me.....

thanks for your suggestions in advance
Kate
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 11:19 AM

7,091 posts, read 18,414,084 times
it won't be simi valley safe, but as far as living in an urban environment, west hollywood is pretty safe.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:39 AM

7,413 posts, read 7,824,032 times
Why would you even consider West Hollywood if you work in Simi Valley? That must be at least 40 miles apart. I don't think Simi Valley or anywhere in the next valley: San Fernando, are as exciting as West Hollywood but if you are concerned about safety it seems you would want to live near your job.

West Hollywood, on the other hand, would be a lot of fun for a single woman if the club scene is an interest. As far as safe, West Hollywood seems relatively tame by LA standards.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:52 AM

20 posts, read 74,619 times
living in Simi Valley....are you kidding me? there is nothing to do here....
right now I'm living in Pasadena.....Pasadena is even further than West Hollywood to Simi....
WeHo is around 30 miles drive.....I'm new to LA and I don't know all the areas.....
My social life is very important to me....that's why I prefer to live in a trendy neighborhood and drive to work....
I'm not looking for a kind of safety that Simi is providing.....that's more for family with four kids
Also, I want to try different neighborhood to understand where to get settle down in LA and buy a house.....better to rent first and know how it works.....
I was going to buy a house in Thousand Oaks....but changed my mind....as a single woman, I will get board to dead living in a suburb like that....I've been living in big cities for my entire life.....can't live in suburb at all....thanks to the owner for not accepting my offer....(and now they changed their mind, but too late!)
I think going to WeHo is not that bad for me....I can take 170 and 118 which both are mostly pretty decent traffic....besides, I believe I will drive against of traffic in both direction....in the morning, driving towards simi and in the afternoon the other way around....both should be against of traffic....
any ideas how much rents are in those areas? and how I can find a place to rent?

Old 06-18-2010, 12:08 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,414,084 times
the main problem with weho is the lack of easy freeway access. it will probably take you 15-20 minutes just to get to the freeway depending on where exactly you live. there are parts of valley that have a similar vibe (minus the clubs) as the other side of the hill. if you're going to be commuting daily to simi, weho would be a tough drive, definitely check out studio city and sherman oaks, even encino.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:30 PM

4,028 posts, read 8,297,103 times
You might like Studio City, particularly along Ventura Bl....maybe near Ventura and Laurel Canyon. Probably 25 minutes closer to Simi Valley than West Hollywood. West Hollywood is far from freeway access, esp in a morning commute time.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:36 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
Quote:
..any ideas how much rents are in those areas? and how I can find a place to rent?
Craigslist. Westside Rentals. Like everyone else.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:41 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,684,480 times
I absolutely wouldn't live in West Hollywood if you are working in Simi! What about Sherman Oaks or Studio City? The commute will be fine going north on the 405.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:52 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,597,055 times
Try Sherman oaks, studio city, valley village, even north hollywood.
Lots of young singles live in those areas. They're cheaper than Weho and at least 20 minutes closer to simi valley.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:35 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,824,032 times
Because of the university, Northridge has lots of young people and that is fairly close to Simi Valley. But if you want urban living than West Hollywood is a good choice though not practical regarding commute time to work. It is just too far from freeways since the Hollywood freeway\ 101 must be at least 20 minutes from WeHo. And if you go over the Hollywood Hills to reach the 101 it could easily be even longer on surface streets\ Laurel & Beverly Glen canyons. If you travel west to reach the San Diego freeway\ 405 it would also be 20+ minutes easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or