Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 08:16 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,319,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
To be fair, the Valley doesn't act like it really wants to be a part of LA either. Think about all the times that you'll see "Sherman Oaks, CA"; "Toluca Lake, CA"; "Valley Village, CA"; or "Tarzana, CA" on an address rather than Los Angeles, CA. This doesn't happen nearly as much over the hill; I've yet to see "Silverlake, CA" or "Koreatown, CA" on anybody's address.
Some areas within the city limits were, at one time, separate towns [ie. Eagle Rock] so they may retain their post office name. The fact that Los Angeles is incredibly spread out also is why certain regions use the city name and\ or local name. Hollywood, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 08:35 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,261,041 times
This area is real cool!!

YouTube - 1997 North Hollywood Shootout pt.1

Old 06-18-2010, 09:33 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,351,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Some areas within the city limits were, at one time, separate towns [ie. Eagle Rock] so they may retain their post office name. The fact that Los Angeles is incredibly spread out also is why certain regions use the city name and\ or local name. Hollywood, for example.
Yeah, that really isn't a Valley only thing.

Zip Codes by Community - Los Angeles County

http://www.city-data.com/zipmaps/Los...alifornia.html

Areas within red line: City of Los Angeles boundaries
Areas marked by zip codes: Zip codes that use "Los Angeles, CA" for addresses.

In addition to the San Fernando Valley, Pacific Palisades, Harbor Gateway, and San Pedro don't use "Los Angeles, CA" post offices either. However, the Valley is obviously the biggest area that doesn't use Los Angeles, CA either. You could also mail packages to "Hollywood, CA" with the right zip code and it would still get there.

However, this is the same in New York City as well.
http://www.city-data.com/zipmaps/New-York-New-York.html

First thing, on this map at least, Staten Island isn't within NYC boundaries (even though it is). Outside of Manhattan, you have to mail it to an address by borough (such as the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Staten Island). To make things even MORE confusing, if you're mailing something to Queens, you have to do it by specific area (Forest Hills, Flushing, Jamaica, Astoria, etc etc.).

However, you'd be hard pressed to find New Yorkers to deny that the outer boroughs aren't part of NYC (except for maybe Staten Island, only because it does have way more common with suburban New Jersey. I mean, my friends at Brooklyn Tech always asked me if I had friends who went to school in NJ) as much as Angelenos over the hill deny that the Valley, or 1/3rd of Los Angeles' population, isn't part of LA.

Honestly though, growing up in the Valley, whenever you said "I'm going into LA", it almost ALWAYS referred to Downtown and the neighborhoods around it. Everywhere else was also referred to by neighborhood/community name (Hollywood, Westwood, Venice, San Pedro, South Central, etc etc.)

Old 06-18-2010, 09:47 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,225,297 times
Well, it cuts both ways. When El Camino Real HS won the academic decathlon, the announcement stated that they hailed from Woodland Hills, California. It would sure be nice to hear 'Los Angeles' get some cred for academic achievement. And yes, Matt, I think the Valley prefers to disown us when its convenient for them to do so. It's a shame we can't all share the glory.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:11 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,133,525 times
In era of Net, mobile computing and globalization, archaic city/suburb/state/national boundaries or Luddite CBDs like DLA mean very, very little, as money, businesses and jobs can easily be managed virtually and moved across borders to more efficient places

Many of world's most valuable companies can be run by a few smart guys sitting in their home offices in leafy suburbs like Woodside or Brentwood, working on their iPads...or from nondescript office bldgs in Cupertino or MenloPk or CenturyCity or SM

Any major, economically relevant urban region today is fairly amorphous, decentralized and suburbanized w/a few economic epicenters and a few nearby residential epicenters (for those who can afford to reside in them)...LA is the pioneer of this growth model and SiliconValley is arguably world's most powerful, most innovative economic region, yet quintessential car-centric suburban sprawl w/no defined center or precise boundaries: very LA-like, as are Dallas and Houston

However, the top 1% of taxpayers tend to cluster in a few corridors in any major urban region, usually in places w/better natural scenery, weather and air quality...and convenience to amenities of daily life...suspect many of top 1% of taxpayers in LA region almost never have need to drive on freeways to nowhere...and wonder what are all the complaints about traffic congestion...

Old 06-18-2010, 11:06 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
suspect many of top 1% of taxpayers in LA region almost never have need to drive on freeways to nowhere...and wonder what are all the complaints about traffic congestion...
Perhaps so; but the other 99% of taxpayers in LA region do have to drive the freeways.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:25 PM

27 posts, read 45,067 times
Wink It's bigger than you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Well, it cuts both ways. When El Camino Real HS won the academic decathlon, the announcement stated that they hailed from Woodland Hills, California. It would sure be nice to hear 'Los Angeles' get some cred for academic achievement. And yes, Matt, I think the Valley prefers to disown us when its convenient for them to do so. It's a shame we can't all share the glory.
Hi, I live in Tarzana (south of Ventura Blvd. LOL), and I think one needs to be cognizant of the fact that Los Angeles is a megalopolis, a mega city, bigger than most other "ordinary" cities will ever be. It really is that massive. Hence I include the entire metro area in my definition, from Calabasas through the San Gabriel Valley, from Sylmar to Huntington Beach, with all the sunkissed variety and contrast it has to offer, all the cultural excitement and hipsterness that sets the trends for the rest of the U.S. and much of the world--and, admittedly, all the traffic, smog, and outrageous prices.

Anyway that's my 2c.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,319,435 times
Another area many don't even realize is in the city limits of Los Angeles is Harbor City, Wilmington and San Pedro [probably 20 miles south of the San Fernando valley].

Old 07-23-2010, 01:00 AM

448 posts, read 1,598,858 times
I know exactly what the OP means. Even my own city council member who encompasses Silver Lake, Miracle Mile, Toluca Lake and NoHo Arts District focuses most of his energies on the "LA" side rather than the Valley side. Go to his website and you'll see 3/4 of his efforts are south of the hill.

www.tomlabonge.com

The Valley neighborhoods should have their own council members instead of this shared bologna. You know who the council members are going to favor. They're probably putting more investment on the LA side just in case the Valley finally decides to seceed from LA and they won't feel like they put unnecessary money over here. In the meantime, the area suffers.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:48 PM

27 posts, read 45,067 times
Hi LABorn, you wrote:

The Valley neighborhoods should have their own council members instead of this shared bologna. You know who the council members are going to favor. They're probably putting more investment on the LA side just in case the Valley finally decides to seceed from LA and they won't feel like they put unnecessary money over here. In the meantime, the area suffers.

'The Cog' is aiming to become vital part - LA Daily News

one possible result (well, the COG came into existence this year, and construction on the VPAC started last year but things seem to be picking up, you seem to live in NOHO/Studio City and that's growing):

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_15572820....dailynews.com

and I'm pretty sure that roads will be repaired more often, public transportation will improve, etc. I think the secession movement kinda threw the fright into those at City Hall.

In the meantime, we can all get off our behinds, study the issues, and increase the turnouts at municipal elections. The "present state of things" need not be.

Last edited by MichaelS3352; 07-24-2010 at 12:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles