U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 02:00 AM

448 posts, read 1,339,775 times

Advertisements

I hope what you say is true. I don't really understand why they put a PAC all the way in Northridge. I have nothing against CSUN as I went there for a couple years for my parts of my degree. I'm surprised the Valley wouldn't put a PAC next to the subway station. It seems like most destination points are on the LA/Hollywood side rather than the Valley side. There needs to be more destination spots for the Valley side of the subway station. The El Portal Theatre is nice, but it's still small compared to any PAC. The Pantages dwarfs the El Portal Theatre. You're not going to see 'Wicked' squeezed into El Portal. Sigh. Can anyone say eminent domain on the big row of mechanic shops on Burbank Blvd to build a large PAC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 03:21 PM

27 posts, read 36,972 times
Wink It's kinda palpable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABornandRaised View Post
I hope what you say is true. I don't really understand why they put a PAC all the way in Northridge. I have nothing against CSUN as I went there for a couple years for my parts of my degree. I'm surprised the Valley wouldn't put a PAC next to the subway station. It seems like most destination points are on the LA/Hollywood side rather than the Valley side. There needs to be more destination spots for the Valley side of the subway station. The El Portal Theatre is nice, but it's still small compared to any PAC. The Pantages dwarfs the El Portal Theatre. You're not going to see 'Wicked' squeezed into El Portal. Sigh. Can anyone say eminent domain on the big row of mechanic shops on Burbank Blvd to build a large PAC?
HiLABorn--
The uptick in cultural/artistic activity here is just beginning, it is nascent. But the fact that it IS just beginning (all over the Valley, it seems) means that presumably artistic types like you and me (CSUN graduate, B.A. English Lit. and now I am resuming my music curriculum after a LONG hiatus) can get in on the ground floor of it all, so to speak. (Cachet? LOL) But here in Tarzana, of all places, there are already a couple of nightclubs, and there is a LOT of cultural/artistic activity at burgeoning Pierce College just to the west and which I am attending.
Be a little patient and LOBBY the COG. VOTE in municipal elections. BUG THE RIGHT PEOPLE. BE ACTIVE. The smog is no longer the only thing in the air.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:53 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,828,956 times
North Hollywood once was a thriving area of little theaters around the Red Line. Does anyone know if NoHo is still a cultural hub?

Old 07-24-2010, 04:00 PM

Hi again,

Welcome to NoHoArtsDistrict.com

Old 07-24-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS3352 View Post
Thanks, Michael

Old 07-24-2010, 06:26 PM

It seems like most destination points are on the LA/Hollywood side rather than the Valley side. There needs to be more destination spots for the Valley side of the subway station.

Hi LABorn,
That, as I said, is beginning to change progressively, in a most progressive way. Give it time. AND RAISE A LITTLE HELL ABOUT IT. The powers-that-be will listen, if the voices raised are multiple enough.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:30 PM

Addendum: Don't know if it will happen so readily here in Tarzana, however. The power of the homeowners here is GINORMOUS, and I don't know how they feel about these things. But there are a lot of media and music people here, so maybe it will go okay.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Addendum: Don't know if it will happen so readily here in Tarzana, however. The power of the homeowners here is GINORMOUS, and I don't know how they feel about these things. But there are a lot of media and music people here, so maybe it will go okay.
Had to look up that word

Some do not consider Glendale to be in the San Fernando valley since it seems to be off to the side. I think it is actually the Verdugo valley but since Glendale adjoins Burbank and North Hollywood it is logical to put it in the SFV.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:00 PM

Default glendale-the heart of the matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Had to look up that word

Some do not consider Glendale to be in the San Fernando valley since it seems to be off to the side. I think it is actually the Verdugo valley but since Glendale adjoins Burbank and North Hollywood it is logical to put it in the SFV.
Yes, I would consider it such, actually it's at, or close to, the geographic heart of the whole L.A. area, isn't it?

Maybe it's symbolic that Forest Lawn Glendale is there, with all the celebs reposing peacefully--right at the center of things.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, I would consider it such, actually it's at, or close to, the geographic heart of the whole L.A. area, isn't it?

Maybe it's symbolic that Forest Lawn Glendale is there, with all the celebs reposing peacefully--right at the center of things.
Once the Burbank Airport [now called Bob Hope] was referred to as the Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena airport which I thought was strange since Pasadena is in a different valley and at least 10 miles from the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or