U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:16 AM

927 posts, read 2,164,862 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I have a meeting in downtown, near the huge L.A. Live complex in downtown LA on Wednesday.

My flight lands at 11am and Iíll need to be back at LAX to fly back out by 3:15pm. (So the meeting will only be about 2 or 2 Ĺ hours)

I hate to rent a car for $80 when Iíll only be using it for 3 hours, tops. Is there another option to get to the area that I need to be, directly from LAX? Is there a bus, shuttle, etc..? Would a taxi or cab be cheaper? How long would it take to get from LAX to downtown?

Let me know, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 10:52 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,794,063 times
You need to be back by 3:15PM or your flight leaves at 3:15 PM? If the latter, then you won't make it. You probably won't make it if the former either - very risky.

Rental cars are cheaper than $80/day. However, it takes a long time to get off the plane, wait for a rental car shuttle, drive to the lot, wait in the rental car line (by now it is 11:45) get on the freeway arrive downtown (12:30), two hour meeting (14:30), drive back to LAX in traffic (15:30 if you are lucky), return rental car, take shuttle to airport, wait in security line (16:00)....see, you probably won't make it.

The alternative is a shuttle bus or limo or taxi which probably won't be cheaper than the rental but it might be faster.

iFlyLAX.com: LAX Information: Ground Transportation

There might be a bus that goes downtown but the link didn't seem to work from the above link.

This Flyaway will get you to Union Station

http://www.lawa.org/popup.aspx?id=304

Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 AM

7,115 posts, read 18,995,969 times
you have a few options:

1. take the flyaway bus to union station (LAX FlyAway Bus), then hop on the red line to 7th St. and walk the few blocks to your destination.

2. take the shuttle to the green line station then get on the train and go east. exit at the imperial station, descend the stairs and get on the blue line north and exit at the pico station.

3. take the green line as above but exit at the harbor freeway station and decend the stairs all the way to the level of the 110 freeway. from there take any of the express buses that go downtown, they all pretty much have stops near the staples center/la live.

the cheapest option is #2, but it is also the slowest. #1 would be the fastest, but the most expensive, but still much cheaper than a car rental and parking and would probably even be quicker since you wouldn't have to worry about checking a rental car in or out. i'd probably go with #1 since it has the least number of transfers since the flyaway bus will pick you up in the airport at your terminal. as for cabs, it's a fixed rate of something around $50 from the airport. if time is your biggest issue, i would go with the cab over the rental car.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:06 AM

My flight leaves at 4:15. No checked bags. I think I'll be ok if I get to LAX by 3:15pm...

Old 06-21-2010, 11:10 AM

you could try the bus/train option into downtown and cab it back to the airport if you run out of time.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
you have a few options:

1. take the flyaway bus to union station (LAX FlyAway Bus), then hop on the red line to 7th St. and walk the few blocks to your destination.

2. take the shuttle to the green line station then get on the train and go east. exit at the imperial station, descend the stairs and get on the blue line north and exit at the pico station.

3. take the green line as above but exit at the harbor freeway station and decend the stairs all the way to the level of the 110 freeway. from there take any of the express buses that go downtown, they all pretty much have stops near the staples center/la live.

the cheapest option is #2, but it is also the slowest. #1 would be the fastest, but the most expensive, but still much cheaper than a car rental and parking and would probably even be quicker since you wouldn't have to worry about checking a rental car in or out. i'd probably go with #1 since it has the least number of transfers since the flyaway bus will pick you up in the airport at your terminal. as for cabs, it's a fixed rate of something around $50 from the airport. if time is your biggest issue, i would go with the cab over the rental car.
How much would number #1 be? Cheaper than a cab or about the same price?

Old 06-21-2010, 11:30 AM

$7 on the flyaway bus plus $1.25 for the subway ride each way. $16.50 total travel cost. The roundtrip cab fare with tip will easily be over $100 (Taxi Fare Finder Los Angeles - Estimate Your Taxi Cab Fare, Cost and Rates).

Old 06-21-2010, 11:36 AM

Good idea. I'll probably take the Flyaway option (#1) to get there and cab it back if I'm running out of time. I don't mind spending $50 on transportation... it will still be cheaper and easier than renting a car for 2 hours. Plus, I don't have to worry about parking.

Unless someone on here wants to earn $50 and give me a ride each way.... just throwing that out there.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:36 AM

9,223 posts, read 13,802,925 times
Beware though..the FlyAway bus can take a while. Just don't be discouraged. It's definitely the easiest and cheapest option. Then, the subways are cheap to use, too.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:48 PM

Ok, I have a ride from LAX, who is picking me up at 11:15. I should be able to make it downtown by noon, correct? Are there cabs downtown that I can just flag to bring me back to the airport? Will they charge me a flat rate or will they charge me an arm and a leg to get back to LAX?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or