U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 04:09 PM

12,825 posts, read 19,266,800 times

Advertisements

I'm doing some event planning for a special night out for some folks.

It would be good if plans could include an excellent Darkwave club. I have been away from the Southland for 20 years and am quite frankly out of touch with the club scene these days.

Would appreciate any recommendations.

Ideally the club would be somewhere between Downtown and WLA. But we'd do the road trip for something really good that's further out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 06:36 PM

2,870 posts, read 4,457,132 times
I think it depends on the night you're going out, but (bear in mind this isn't my scene and I don't club anymore, so it's secondhand knowledge) Malediction Society is on Sundays. I do know of this because I think they just had a steampunk ball this weekend, which I have to say is pretty fun to watch. It's at the Monte Cristo, which you might remember as the 3100. Also at the Monte Cristo on alternate Saturdays is Ruin. Ruin is more the ethereal kind of goth, if that's your meaning of darkwave. Other clubs on Fridays and Saturdays might be more death punk, like 45 Grave kind of stuff, plus industrial. That would be Bar Sinister near Hollywood and Highland on Saturdays. Bar Sinister is also 18+, so be warned of that. There are others, on Fridays. I think they're mostly of the industrial goth/death punk variety, though. Anyway, that was related to me by a friend who's into it.

If you're looking for some atmosphere and don't mind dressing up and paying W Hotel-level drink prices, then you might want to try out The Edison. It is a really cool place.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:09 PM

Those definitely seem to meet my criteria. Thanks for the heads up on Bar Sinister being 18+.

The Monte Cristo is intriguing.

I will check into The Edison as well.

Thanks again!

Old 06-21-2010, 07:44 PM

I should mention Cinespia has started its summer run. Saturday movie screenings at Hollywood Forever Cemetery are Midnight Cowboy (Jun 26) and Easy Rider (Jul 3). $10. I hear it's gotten really scene-y, but it's still a great time. This past Saturday's Invasion of the Body Snatchers (original) might have been a good catch for you. "Bring picnic dinner and drinks. Alcohol is permitted." Also bring pillows and blanket. No tall chairs. Check the site for future screenings, but it's updated for only a couple of weeks in advance right now.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:05 PM

787 posts, read 1,622,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Those definitely seem to meet my criteria. Thanks for the heads up on Bar Sinister being 18+.

The Monte Cristo is intriguing.

I will check into The Edison as well.

Thanks again!
I second the suggestion for the Edison....certainly a very unique bar/lounge for LA. In a historic building completely restored to feel like you are in a 1920's speak easy. More of a San Francisco feel than what you typically associate with LA.

The Edison ... living history in Downtown Los Angeles

Old 06-22-2010, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the comments!

At the Edison, when there is a DJ spinning, what type of music is it? Or are there different themed nights in terms of musical genre?

Old 06-22-2010, 02:27 PM

787 posts, read 1,622,673 times
Hey BayAreaHillbilly: I just saw your reference to darkwave music. At first I did not know what that referred to...although I am certanily old enough to know that music quite well.

This is what you are referring to, right?
Dark Wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Edison does NOT play that type of music to my knowledge. I think Bunjee was just saying hey check out the Edison b/c it's a cool and interesting spot.

I could be wrong but the times I have been there they play only music from the 1920's to the 1940's. Sometimes they also have a "burlesque" type dancer get up on the bar and dance. The women are typically very hot and scantily clad.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:47 PM

Yeah, it's not goth or anything but I noted it for that certain atmosphere of bygone times that might interest someone into the more...fragile aspect...of nostalgia. But it's an "up" place, not really downer, although feel free to mentally play-act from the flapper times of F. Scott Fitzgerald and all the effete amusements entailed therein. Souixsie took her stage persona from that era, after all. Again, though: Dress the part, there may be a wait, expect city prices for cocktails.

I forgot to mention the Institute of Abnormalarts out in North Hollywood. It's more the "dark circus" atmosphere (I guess you'd call it) and it's not open all the time--and the website's kind of spotty too--but it might be a diversion if you're out that way. It's a performance space, so you might catch live bands. On the west side, of course you can do a day trek over to the Museum of Jurassic Technology in Culver City to get you into your darkwave mood.

Last edited by Bunjee; 06-22-2010 at 04:26 PM..

Old 06-22-2010, 06:08 PM

Thanks again!

Old 07-16-2010, 12:20 PM

OK, so here's the plan thus far for this wild Southland "reunion" (of people who were there back in the day - hah!)

Friday: Everyone arrives, we meet up, etc. Grab dinner near our hotels (WeHo or nearby). Something eclectic or ethnic (maybe some WeHo slow food place or maybe pop out by Westwood for Persian). If we club this night (still trying to decide Fri or Sat) we'll do "Annihilate This Week", @ Bigfoot, or, "The Underground" (assuming I can determine where it is held), or, we'll pop down to LB for "Release the Bats" @ Que Sera Sera.

Saturday: Sleep in a bit. Head to H'wood for Thai at Palm (or somehwere in that hood). Shop a bit around there. Then, head into DTLA for more shopping (for eclectic, artwear, punk, goth, etc). General area will be at or near Santee Alley (note I've not been there for years - from stuff on the web looks like it's "grown" into sort of a "Chatuchak LA Style" sort of place - LOL!). Dinner in DTLA, H'wood or Koreatown. If we club this night we'll do either "Ruin" @ Monte Christo, or, Dragonfly, or, pop down to LB for "Mannequin" @ Que Sera Sera.

Feedback please!

Also a few questions:
How is "Annihilate This Week?"
Where is "The Underground" held at?
How is "Dragonfly?"
Any 411 on the two events I noted down at Que Sera Sera or feedback about that venue in general?
Is my plan to shop @ Santee / The Fashion District a good one? Also, which is better, Santee Alley proper, or nearby shops that are not strictly part of the Alley?

Finally, any other ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by BayAreaHillbilly; 07-16-2010 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles