U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-23-2010, 01:40 PM

9 posts, read 24,295 times

Advertisements

I am moved from TX to CA (LA). I have to change my car license plate and car registration sticker in 20 days. Can anyone please let me know what the process is?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 07:01 PM

425 posts, read 1,042,520 times
California DMV HTVR9 - How To Register A Out-of-State Vehicle (Nonresident Vehicle)

I would recommend making an appointment when you go to the DMV, as well.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:36 PM

5,128 posts, read 6,335,881 times
Go get your emission test first to see if it even can pass it before going down to DMV!

If the vehicle passed the emission test, then visit or make the appointment and remember when they ask you the first date the vehicle was operated in CA, give a date that is no older than 7-8 days from the date of your DMV visit.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:25 PM

9 posts, read 24,295 times
Default Thanks

Thanks ladoll and Turcoloco.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:54 PM

425 posts, read 1,042,520 times
You're welcome.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:03 PM

762 posts, read 506,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharkumar29 View Post
I am moved from TX to CA (LA). I have to change my car license plate and car registration sticker in 20 days. Can anyone please let me know what the process is?

Thanks
I don't know what part of Los Angeles you are going to, but the DMV in Santa Monica has excellent service. I've been there several times and the longest I've ever been in there was 20 minutes, start to finish.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:28 AM

237 posts, read 339,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Go get your emission test first to see if it even can pass it before going down to DMV!

If the vehicle passed the emission test, then visit or make the appointment and remember when they ask you the first date the vehicle was operated in CA, give a date that is no older than 7-8 days from the date of your DMV visit.
DMV appointments are 4 to 5 weeks out, so make appointment right away. You can cancel your DMV appointment later and reschedule if necessary. The appointment is the best. DMV is really On-time for appointments and almost no waiting. If you decide to just do a walk-in with no appointment, it will take hours of waiting and some offices have people lined-up out the door and DMV offices are a zoo of all kinds of humanity. EECK!

If you have an appointment, don't wait in the general line, go inside the office and check where people with appointments are to be checked-in. often there is only one person ahead of you or even none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles