U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,896 times

Advertisements

....b/c I have too...for family reasons.... I've been reading and reading but haven't quite found what I'm looking for... please ...any suggestions will be taken seriously -- oh, BTW - we move July 2nd -

FACTS:
Never been to La La Land...

3 boys - 14, 9, and 2 1/2 (and a maltese)

Can work from home - but not "rich" about a $55K + is my salary budget (I'm in sales and can easily increase my weekly check)

9 yo wants to get to take acting classes (nope..not my influence at all)
14 yo plays heavy b-ball and is quite good -- So camps, recreational parks, etc are a must!

Hubby is an aspiring screenwriter...(well... he actually sold one a few years back)

I like restaurants, quiet, not so congested areas with a small town feel

LOOKING FOR:
Cost effective, ($1500 - $2000 for rent) house - SAFE area for the kiddos but things to do --- my eldest boy loves b-ball!!!

Need to have good, clean, SAFE, schools for he kiddos

Once I move in, I'm there to stay....we need more stablity at this point.

IN A PERFECT WORLD:
Would love the best of both worlds of Looking out the windows to a mountain view and about 30 mins or less commute to the beach.
about 30 mins or less from tourist places and/or downtown L.A.

Any help.....would be gladly appreciated and yes... I have my GARMIN ready! -- we might just go STRAIGHT TO PINK'S hotdogs when we get there...just don't know where it is! (lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 03:06 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,417,215 times
that's a tight budget to work with. considering you have kids, the only place i can think of that may work for you is west hills in the san fernando valley. houses out there are pretty small though and probably aren't going to be updated in your price range. houses in decent areas with ok/good schools closer in to the city are considerably more expensive. your other option is to look way outside the city. there are good schools out in the valencia area, but you'll probably only be able to afford a townhome/apartment out there.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:09 PM

452 posts, read 1,206,866 times
I highly recommend you look at Temecula or Murrieta. These are nice exurbs with good schools and are VERY family friendly. It won't fulfill everything you want, but let me be honest: Your budget is WAY TOO low for rent to be able to live in Los Angeles city proper or in the expensive suburbs surrounding it. You are in the price range of an apartment, MAYBE a condo/townhouse in certain areas but you won't get a single family home.

Also, you can't afford any of the communities with good schools that are close to L.A. because those are all way out of your price range. Also, small town feel and Los Angeles doesn't really belong in the same sentence. Maybe in some of the outer ring suburbs, but the city itself is a pretty dense and crowded place, especially compared to Dallas.

Honestly, look at Temecula and Murrieta in Riverside County. Its a pretty area with good schools, is away from crowds, has a smaller town feel (but not too small) and you aren't that far from beaches in Oceanside. $55,000 should be doable out in Riverside County, but not L.A. County.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:14 PM

2 posts, read 2,896 times
Thank you! I had someone also mention to me Pasadena?

Old 06-23-2010, 03:19 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,417,215 times
pasadena is nice, but the puclic schools are questionable and it also very expensive.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:28 PM

452 posts, read 1,206,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliboundfromdallas View Post
Pasadena is nice. Old Town/Downtown Pasadena is a great fun area with shops and entertainment that is very walkable. You can jump on the Gold Line light rail to get to Downtown L.A. also.

The downside is it is an expensive area and public schools are "so so" to "bad." People that can afford it send their kids to prestigious private schools in the area.

For $1,800 you could get a town home like this one on Wallis Street in Pasadena. Its 2 bedrooms, 1 bath and 1,200 square feet.
http://photonet0.hotpads.com/search/listingPhoto/Postlets/RT2914407/0000_86778613_medium.jpg (broken link)

For $1,850 in Temecula you can get this 2,450 square foot 4 bed, 3 bath, newer construction home zoned to award winning schools, in a neighborhood with community sports park and pool, close to the malls, shops, and Old Town Temecula.
http://photonet0.hotpads.com/search/listingPhoto/RentalsDotCom/1076920/0000_661517522_medium.jpg (broken link)

-Since you don't have to commute to work, it eliminates the reason many people can't live in Temecula. Its a bit of a drive from major job centers and lots of people there either work at home, have a job in the Temecula Valley, or make very long commutes. If you are working at home, the whole issue of driving long distances to job centers wouldn't be a problem. Its close enough to visit L.A. on weekends and also close to San Diego (its about mid way between L.A. and San Diego).

Part of Old Town Temecula, Spring Car Show

Last edited by coo77; 06-23-2010 at 03:40 PM..

Old 06-27-2010, 12:05 AM

291 posts, read 626,343 times
Temecula is too far. Try San Pedro.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:04 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliboundfromdallas View Post
Pasadena is a wonderful old town or I guess you would say city. The problem with that, your housing allowance is way too low for the nicer areas and the schools are not rated well. As for the baseball part, that would be fine. and the good news it really isn't far from the Hollywood scene, but still a little different.

You will very tight budget wise for what you are going to need and still stay in a nice neighborhood. I would think, like has been mentioned Temecula and that area even though it is quite a drive from Los Angeles if that is what you want. You may even want to give places like San Dimas and Glendora some thought. I am not sure your budget will work there either.

Nita

Old 06-27-2010, 07:03 AM

3,777 posts, read 7,165,585 times
Monrovia might have the feel you want. The schools aren't great but also aren't the worst. You'd be at the foot of the San Gabriel Mountains, and you'd be near the 605 for a trip to the beach.

Nice neighborhoods with good schools cost money.

Temple City has better schools, not as close to the mountains, but closer to Los Angeles.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:23 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Monrovia might have the feel you want. The schools aren't great but also aren't the worst. You'd be at the foot of the San Gabriel Mountains, and you'd be near the 605 for a trip to the beach.

Nice neighborhoods with good schools cost money.

Temple City has better schools, not as close to the mountains, but closer to Los Angeles.
Monrovia would be a great place for the OP to start looking. I think Temple City will be out of their price range. You are right, the schools are better but Monrovia is coming into its own. The city is totally differenct from 20 years ago.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles