U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,521 times

Advertisements

So, I'm a Massachusetts driver, with a MA license and MA plates. I was caught speeding in Malibu the other night, going 62 in a 45. Foolish, I know. Anyway, the ticket doesn't have the actually cost of the fine on it.

So, I've been reading up but I came to this site and figured I'd ask for your advice.

1. What do you think the cost of the fine will be around?
2. Is this type of ticket one that is typically eligible for traffic school?
3. Is traffic school even open to out of staters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 04:05 PM

5,007 posts, read 7,667,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redundant View Post
So, I'm a Massachusetts driver, with a MA license and MA plates. I was caught speeding in Malibu the other night, going 62 in a 45. Foolish, I know. Anyway, the ticket doesn't have the actually cost of the fine on it.

So, I've been reading up but I came to this site and figured I'd ask for your advice.

Check the bottom of the citation - that may have the court's address on there - if it's the Malibu courthouse, you could call them on the phone in two weeks to see if the ticket has been sent over by the officer who cited you. A clerk at the courthouse can tell you the correct amount of the fine once the ticket is entered into the court's computer system.

I think you will be able to go to traffic school on that citation as long as you haven't been previously in the last 18 months.

You could explain to whoever you speak to at the courthouse that you're from out of state. I am pretty sure there are provisions for people from other states to go to traffic school where they live. They will give you a certain amount of time to attend traffic school.

Send all your fines and correspondence to the courthouse return receipt, certified mail so you know that they received everything. Make sure you have the correct address of the courthouse and/or division where your fines and paperwork are supposed to go.

Hold on to the citation - find the website for the Malibu courthouse (County of Los Angeles) and call and find out how much the fine is. Sometimes there is a chance you might receive a courtesy notice (they come from a different location other than the courthouse) that will tell you the amount of the fine, but don't count on receiving one. After two weeks, take proactive steps and either call the courthouse or go in person to find out the fine amount and your traffic school availability.

Good luck!

Old 06-23-2010, 04:41 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,432,519 times
i'm not sure about traffic school, but you should be able to go to the LA superior court website (LASC - Traffic) and enter your citaition number and see how much the fine is. you should also be able to pay through the website as well.

Old 09-08-2012, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redundant View Post

From Delilah
I got the exact same thing! Going 62 in a 45 pmh - what ended up happening or what were the fees? Did you get traffic school? Or ask for a trial.....

Trying to think what I'm going to do and want to ask for traffic school or what not....

-Delilah

Old 08-30-2015, 08:24 PM

1 posts, read 496 times
This sounds really strange but my wife and I were also visiting Ca from Ma in July and I was ticketed for doing 62 in a 45 mile zone in Malibu. I was very upset with the placement of the speed limit sign and how it reduced from 50 to 45 at the top of a steep downhill after stoplight. There are multiple highway patrols at the bottom of this hill to write speeding tickets for all the visitors to the Great state of Ca.
It took 45 days for them to send the court apperance letter with a bail amount? of $367. If I wanted to go to traffic school I could if I send in the bail amount of 367 plus 65 more to cover the cost of the school. I will pay the ticket amount and avoid Malibu in the future.
Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles