U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:51 PM

76 posts, read 186,042 times

Advertisements

What isnt wrong with Portland? To be fair there are plenty of people here who love it but there are no jobs, our local government is run by a bunch of liberal, tree hugging, police hating hippies and it has rained (up until a week ago) for 8 straight months. The real reason for our move is my husband has searched for a job for almost a year and got hired by a company out of Woodland Hills so we are kind of excited to move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 05:58 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,427,237 times
anything from Hidden Hills westward is a good choice, especially since you'll be situated in the Las Virgenes School district. However, real estate is very pricey in that part of LA county. If you're on a budget, try West Hills or Chatsworth (with the caveat that they're in the LA Unified school district). Good luck!

Old 06-28-2010, 06:00 PM

191 posts, read 512,317 times
Porter Ranch is also a good option. 15-20 minute commute to Woodland Hills.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:53 PM

we are looking at Porter Ranch and it seems to be in our price range. Thanks everyone for all the tips..really helpful! What is the best nearby beach to visit?

Old 06-28-2010, 09:59 PM

Daisy:
Sure thing. It gets a bit windy in Porter Ranch as it's at the foot of the Santa Susanas but it's all-round nice.

Best local family beach, IMO, is Marina Park in Ventura. There's Santa Monica, but it's not as fam friendly. Oxnard State Beach is also very fam friendly. Marina Park and Oxnard have play areas right on the water, abundant parking, lots of kids.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:40 PM

so one of my husband's co-workers "to be" said that if he were us, we should move closer to Burbank and Glendale in case some of my husband's work territory involves him going into the city. What are some thoughts on those areas as far as living there goes. Seems to me ultimately we would want to live closer to the home office in Woodland Hills than live in Burbank on the off-chance he has to travel into LA

Old 06-29-2010, 12:56 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,427,237 times
well if you reside in Glendale or Burbank, you'll be a good 45 or 50 minutes from Woodland Hills, depending on rush hour conditions. The 101/405 freeway interchange is one of the busiest in the entire state! So try to avoid it if you can.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:08 PM

5,132 posts, read 11,725,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy326 View Post
so one of my husband's co-workers "to be" said that if he were us, we should move closer to Burbank and Glendale in case some of my husband's work territory involves him going into the city. What are some thoughts on those areas as far as living there goes. Seems to me ultimately we would want to live closer to the home office in Woodland Hills than live in Burbank on the off-chance he has to travel into LA
I'd say your original thought is better. It is much nicer toward the northern end of the valley actually, closer to Thousand Oaks. Forget living closer to LA and Hollywierd with your family. It's hot and disgustingly crowded.

I would highly recommend taking a trip out to visit these areas for yourself. This part of CA is the opposite of Portland in terms of green and natural beauty. Its dry and overrun with concrete, along with gangs, crime, etc... in varying degrees. But there are some nicer sections in some parts. So you really have to pick and choose more carefully.

The other consideration is the school district. In the middle of the valley and all the way to Burbank you have LA Unified which doesn't have a very good reputation. But in places like Augora Hills, Westlake, Thousand Hills, Newberry Park, etc... you have individual school districts which are highly rated. Check out the map here and zoom in - California School Performance Maps

Then there is the whole climate and micro climate side of things. The middle of The Valley is the worst and thats where the smog settles in the most as well. As you go further away from it and out into the hills it is nicer and greener at least in Spring.

Bottom line - visit before making such decisions. And definately rent before you buy in an area you are unfamiliar with. Once here you will be able to make a more informed decision. Everyone has their preferences, especially when you have your children's environment to consider as well.

My 2c,

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-29-2010 at 01:27 PM..

Old 06-29-2010, 02:00 PM

Burbank has its own school district. Glendale is too far from WH.

Note that Burbank to WH (I did this commute for a year) is about 40 mins, up to an hour. It has excellent access to mass transit (red line, orange line in NoHo) and great schools but traversing the valley is a BEAR.

My previous post referenced the 101 freeway and the nightmare that it is. I stand by that statement. Living in Bur, you'd be bound by the 101/134 to get to work, which isn't so bad going in but treacherous coming home. Sidestreets are only slightly less daunting.

Still, Burbank is a great town.

You are discovering what I discovered: the issue is being in the West Valley - which is a limiting factor with families in terms of being close to job opportunities which, outside of Warner Center, are east and south.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:13 PM

3 posts, read 5,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickelDime View Post
Note that Burbank to WH (I did this commute for a year) is about 40 mins, up to an hour. It has excellent access to mass transit (red line, orange line in NoHo) and great schools but traversing the valley is a BEAR.
Uh.

The "orange line" is a bus. And a slow one at that. Nothing to celebrate.

If that's "excellent mass transit", I'd be very wary of anything else the government proposes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or