U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2011, 07:49 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,277,899 times

Advertisements

I think that when people talk about LA being fake, they are referring to the population as being superficial. We have got people here from all around the world. And there are superficial people everywhere. Other than that, I have nothing to add to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 11:36 PM

96 posts, read 187,813 times
Downtown LA is definitely as real as it gets. It is multicultural, historical, modern and artistic.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:24 AM

430 posts, read 1,395,262 times
LA is a prime example of fake type of people, fake fake fake. if you want genuine people, try east coast, try midwest, places in the south, southwest.

You won't find very many genuine people in LA or so cal.

Old 11-28-2011, 03:22 AM

22,151 posts, read 26,606,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
LA is a prime example of fake type of people, fake fake fake. if you want genuine people, try east coast, try midwest, places in the south, southwest.

You won't find very many genuine people in LA or so cal.
I didn't realize that I, and everyone I know, are "fake." Thanks for letting me know!

Actually, the overwhelming majority of people in LA (and California) are just regular people like everywhere else in the country. They work, pay bills, they enjoy recreation, many take vacations, most eventually retire, etc.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:53 PM

355 posts, read 1,060,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Boston IS REAL. You know who I did not put up? New Jersey. THEY are the meatheads. Not Bostonites. Bostonites are just rude. And with good reason. It's freezing friggin cold half the year. Oakland is so/so. I think lots of crazy people live there. Detroit IS real. They just had an unfortunate economy. But the people are real.
. I just had to rep you I'm from Detroit, MI, and even though there is a lot of high crime and poor people, you would be surprised by the amount of politically and socially-aware people who reside there. Any time of the day, I could have a good debate with a Detroiter about the world's issues and about life in general. I have been to other states where I would try to have a good debate and it felt like I was talking to a vegetable! Smh

Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 AM

1,734 posts, read 4,940,058 times
I'd say New Orleans is real (if you get out of the tourist traps). Indianapolis, Kansas City, Chicago, Baltimore, etc. are also some real places.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:59 AM

18,104 posts, read 16,444,002 times
Fake is anybody trying to live up to a certain image or reputation even when they really don't fit that image. Putting on an act in other words and not willing to risk being oneself publicly. LA would definitely be up there( phony), so would NYC( streetwise), San Francisco(uber tolerant), Chicago( gangster). Boston( intellectual, classy). Manufactured images that its residents don't live up to.
Cities that would be on the other end of the spectrum... Philly, its down to earth blue collar and not out to impress anybody. Thank the rest of Pa for that. Baltimore, its not a hip city,its actually kind of obtuse. Detroit, its so run down its too poor and clueless to know what an image it should have. Those Eminem and Clint Eastwood commercials are laughable in their ridiculousness so somebody's trying to make them feel better about themselves. Atlanta... again, a big city surrounded by hay( or maybe its tobacco)seed yokels, Down to earth and not flashy or trendy.
Vegas lives up to its image of being phony and fake and shallow so its actually real.
DC is all about corruption and kicking people around or taking advantage of them so its real.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:36 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,144,875 times
LA is the City of Dreams. Everywhere else is basically meant for business.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:41 PM

75 posts, read 161,581 times
You'll find fake people everywhere. LA just gets that stigma because of the entertainment industry. You ask me? Dallas is more "fake" than LA. At least LA has a reason to put on a facade.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:52 PM

10 posts, read 19,472 times
I think a lot of the attitude in some of the east coast towns is a version of fakery (wanting to appear tougher and thicker skinned than you are.) I have impressions of genuine, not too grumpy, not too superficial, people in the Midwest. Indianapolis (unless we just BSed the entire world media at the Super Bowl), Iowa, Milwaukee, Columbus etc.

I also lived in CA for 24 years so I can easily assert that CA is very fake compared to these areas. Status, looks, possessions, fashion, eating disorders are all x10 there. There is much insecurity covered by the appearance of general apathy and exaggerated self centeredness. Not everyone mind you. However, take someone who thinks they are pretty genuine and then drop them in the Midwest for a year and their blood pressure will drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or