U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 11:31 PM

4,114 posts, read 8,896,576 times

Advertisements

I guess by the logic of L.A. being "fake," then by some NorCal'ers logic, we must also call S.F., San Jose and Sacramento "real."

Okay, okay, I don't dislike NorCal. I don't really like S.F., but I don't mind S.J. and Sacto at all.

Think about it: what would be "real"? Burlingame near S.F.? Lodi near Stockton? Poway near San Diego? Huntington Beach? Are said areas any more "real" than traditionally blue collar, less wealthy, less nouveau riche areas of Greater L.A. like Inglewood, Long Beach, El Monte, Baldwin Park, and most of Santa Ana? Or Fontucky/Fontanalajara?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 01:11 AM

2,262 posts, read 6,269,378 times
Ha HAH! You've clearly never lived in LA, NYC, San Fran, Chicago, or Boston.

The least classy people I've ever met lived in Boston! Classy?!?! The mind boggles.

The most genuine and happiest people I've ever met have been in LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Fake is anybody trying to live up to a certain image or reputation even when they really don't fit that image. Putting on an act in other words and not willing to risk being oneself publicly. LA would definitely be up there( phony), so would NYC( streetwise), San Francisco(uber tolerant), Chicago( gangster). Boston( intellectual, classy). Manufactured images that its residents don't live up to.
Cities that would be on the other end of the spectrum... Philly, its down to earth blue collar and not out to impress anybody. Thank the rest of Pa for that. Baltimore, its not a hip city,its actually kind of obtuse. Detroit, its so run down its too poor and clueless to know what an image it should have. Those Eminem and Clint Eastwood commercials are laughable in their ridiculousness so somebody's trying to make them feel better about themselves. Atlanta... again, a big city surrounded by hay( or maybe its tobacco)seed yokels, Down to earth and not flashy or trendy.
Vegas lives up to its image of being phony and fake and shallow so its actually real.
DC is all about corruption and kicking people around or taking advantage of them so its real.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:10 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,037,706 times
I've traveled to 30-33 states.

I think the antithesis of LA is in the east, Vermont and Maine.

-No big box stores, or very limited. You don't see best buy on every corner.

-Those states are very natural, vermont is famous for it's maple syrup, maine its coast line. A lot of natural beauty vs LA's "bling". Try to find shiny rims there. Or even the whole cell phone, blackberry culture.

There are a bunch of states with more authentic food....like new orleans. Or the south.

I bet if you had a map of percent of people with plastic surgery....lol, orange county, LA would be way up there. And some places it wouldn't even register. Similar thing with eating disorders. LA must be the capital.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:04 AM

922 posts, read 903,771 times
L.A. people being "fake" is, in my experience, just an overhyped stereotype propogated by those who have never spent any real time in the city, or bothered to travel out of one neighborhood in the city. I'm from a supposed "real" city, Pittsburgh, which I love, but anywhere you go that has social mores and political correctness, you will find "fakeness." People just like to single out L.A. to vent their frustration with wherever they live.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:14 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,635,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findy View Post
However, take someone who thinks they are pretty genuine and then drop them in the Midwest for a year and their blood pressure will drop.
Or they'll die from boredom.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:29 AM

12,840 posts, read 23,194,240 times
I've never thought LA was fake, in parts, yes, but overall, no.

Pueblo, Spokane, Fresno, etc, are real. Basically, anywhere where people work regular jobs (if they work at all), and aren't all Prozac'd up about how great their lives (social status') are.

Last edited by Count David; 02-29-2012 at 08:18 AM..

Old 02-29-2012, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Pueblo, Spokane, Fresno,
Fontana

Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 AM

12,840 posts, read 23,194,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Fontana
*sans Heritage, Southridge, and everything north of the 210.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:26 AM

Southridge is pretty gritty these days with the junky apts. Some friends of mine were home invaded, tied up like hogs to slaughter, and robbed of all their ****.

Definitely anything N of the 210. That night as well be S. OC.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 AM

1,791 posts, read 2,125,089 times
Those people you were talking to weren't real, they were figments of your imagination. Now go run to the babble belt where they are real (and sweaty).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I didn't realize that I, and everyone I know, are "fake." Thanks for letting me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or