U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 09:32 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,067,234 times

Advertisements

The fakest city is Las Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,441,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findy View Post
I think a lot of the attitude in some of the east coast towns is a version of fakery (wanting to appear tougher and thicker skinned than you are.) I have impressions of genuine, not too grumpy, not too superficial, people in the Midwest. Indianapolis (unless we just BSed the entire world media at the Super Bowl), Iowa, Milwaukee, Columbus etc.

I also lived in CA for 24 years so I can easily assert that CA is very fake compared to these areas. Status, looks, possessions, fashion, eating disorders are all x10 there. There is much insecurity covered by the appearance of general apathy and exaggerated self centeredness. Not everyone mind you. However, take someone who thinks they are pretty genuine and then drop them in the Midwest for a year and their blood pressure will drop.
Yeah, but most people would choose CA over the Midwest.

The reason why CA is considered fake is because there are many uber ambitious people here. So the competition is tough, which causes people to feel they have to put up an image.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:35 AM

13,227 posts, read 24,316,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Southridge is pretty gritty these days with the junky apts. Some friends of mine were home invaded, tied up like hogs to slaughter, and robbed of all their ****.
That's HORRIBLE. When I first moved outta my mama's apartment, I looked at apartments over there, seemed decent enough a decadeish ago. Add Southridge to the "real" category.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 AM

9,197 posts, read 13,968,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
The reason why CA is considered fake is because ...

...it's on TV everywhere, therefore everyone has an opinion to share about it, for better or worse. Most other states don't even get considered.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:05 AM

5,660 posts, read 6,828,916 times
Hollywood

Old 03-01-2012, 09:50 AM

355 posts, read 1,089,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8move8away8 View Post
Baltimore
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Chicago
NOT Boston. Boston is an awful mix of stuffy preps and meatheads. Not "real"
Real people don't put up with cities like Oakland and Detroit, period.
Um, Detroit is as REAL as REAL can get. Those people really don't sugar-coat anything and despite there being a large population of low-income earners, most of the locals are intelligent and the elderly is very politically aware and will tell anyone off in a second if they are in the wrong. Cleveland is real too. I have many friends that are from there, and the cultural in cleveland and detroit is pretty much similar.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:03 PM

157 posts, read 131,139 times
NY
Chicago
Boston

so many!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:45 PM

106 posts, read 148,651 times
From South Carolina...
Went to University Miami...
Lived in Detroit, Atlanta, Pheonix, and DC...

The whole real/fake argument is quite silly. The average Angeleno is no more fake than the average South Carolinian or anyone else for that matter. In fact, I would argue (as someone a few pages ago), that LA is more "real" because people can feel free to be who they really are.

People who blame the entertainment industry should blame the mindless drones who are too narrow-minded to realize that although it's a huge part of the city, it doesn't speak for the majority of the people.

As far as the superficial nature of people in LA? That's even more funny. People everywhere are superficial and self-centered. You can go to any major city or backwoods town and see people who spend most of their energy trying to uphold some sort of image of themselves by all sorts of means.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:11 PM

9 posts, read 18,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown lover View Post
NY
Chicago
Boston

so many!
Is NY not "fake"? Come on, step to the subway car and the first thing u see is LV bag, the city is all "fake" people are trying to show off their stuff to look cool, the most "fake" city I've seen so far.

People are paying crazy money for living in NY just because they want to be "New Yorker's!", greatest city in the world lol
We can even register our dogs as "New Yorker's" for an extra fee.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:49 PM

6,379 posts, read 10,666,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I didn't realize that I, and everyone I know, are "fake." Thanks for letting me know!

Actually, the overwhelming majority of people in LA (and California) are just regular people like everywhere else in the country. They work, pay bills, they enjoy recreation, many take vacations, most eventually retire, etc.
Seriously! Way too much generalization going on. Someone who visits the city for a short while interacts with a limited number of people they come to contact with and based their opinion solely on their limited experience. Then slowly but surely a bad rep develops and before you know it those who have not even been to LA or met anyone from LA have a derogatory opinion of the city and its people already! With that attitude if they ever visit, they will probably have a bad approach to their interaction because they subconsciously programed themselves into thinking "LA people are mean, LA people are fake, etc." which will surely come out at least in their body language so naturally those they talk to will perceive them as a-holes and rightfully give them attitude or ignore them. Then our judgmental visitors will say "Oh yeah, they were right about what they said about LA and its people....blah blah".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or