U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 02:21 PM

1,894 posts, read 3,483,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
"In the 1920’s Los Angeles became the first city in the country to pass restrictions in housing"

So the American South and Texas were not part of the US in the 1920s? The Confederacy still existed in the 1920s?

Los Angeles in the early 20th century was racist, xenophobic, and nativist, and ridden with nasty and highly corrupt politics but Jim Crow didn't begin in L.A.
It must be remembered that THE REASON Los Angeles passed housing restrictions in the '20s is BECAUSE of the newcomers (from the South and the Midwest) that were complaining about living around blacks and Hispanics (and others). Los Angeles grew huge because of that mass migration of Americans (many colors, though the really large influx of blacks came even later, during World War II).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 05:03 PM

419 posts, read 823,590 times
Los Angeles really built this "glitz and glamour" reputation upon itself, nobody should be blamed attacked for calling it fake.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:17 PM

2,720 posts, read 4,715,114 times
But the culture surrounding the glitz is different than NYC. There's a bohemian element that rejects the snobby attitude of NYC.

In the simplest sense, NYC would Zoolander and LA would be Owen Wilson's character in the same movie. They're both part of the glitz and glamour but offer different and competing styles. Yet, I've yet to meet a really stereotypical snob in glitz and glamour West LA.

The only people I've found unbearable are the European tourists. Sorry but the Swedes in Hollywood drive me bonkers. They really came with the impression that LA is the glitzy snobby place in the movies. No offense to the European tourists here, but some of your countrymen walk around LA like they're being filmed on TMZ.

I once encounter a Danish girl dressed to the nines on Melrose when it was in the high 80's temperature wise. I asked her how she liked LA and we got into a conversation about fashion and she just ripped on Angelenos for being too sporty and how in Denmark they suffer for their fashion. She sounded insufferable.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:19 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,903,810 times
Cool I didn't 'build' it, but you came anyway...

Right. And 'Sex in the City' is high art, representing NYC culture at its finest. So we've settled that: NYC is all fake and fluff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfside__ View Post
Los Angeles really built this "glitz and glamour" reputation upon itself, nobody should be blamed attacked for calling it fake.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 AM

419 posts, read 823,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Right. And 'Sex in the City' is high art, representing NYC culture at its finest. So we've settled that: NYC is all fake and fluff.
NYC image isn't dominated by media and glitz and glamour though, of course NYC has that stuff too, but that's not the first thing that comes to mind when you think of NYC. Los Angeles is the media hub, it's known for the things it's known for, sure it has many other things other than that, but if LA didn't have the glitz and glamour image and the media it wouldn't be what it is today.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:17 AM

2,879 posts, read 4,597,706 times
This is such an interesting exercise! By invoking the popular conception of a place as uncultured and anti-intellectual, by speaking against it we can brand ourselves cultured and intellectual without anymore substance required. Because faking it is real. Los Angeles does seem to bring that out every time it's mentioned. How conceptually intriguing the city is. Smile, we all have veneers!

Old 07-23-2012, 05:53 PM

To be honest, as much as I love LA, it's not the most intellectual town. It's the most creative town. So much it puts NYC to shame but it's not a place that fosters long drawn out talks about current events or Cold War history. In fact the people that do bring it up almost sound like they have no idea what they're talking about.

Boston and New York are intellectual towns. LA, not so much.

I really characterize the intelligence of the city by what it's citizens do when the cross walk sign signals their chance to walk. NY'ers and Bostonians look both ways and cross regardless of what the sign says as long as there are no cars. Angelenos wait and wait and wait until the sign tells them to go, even if there are no cars. LA is a trendy follow the herd kinda town. Sure everyone has a different style but it's still within the "be an individual like everyone else" box.

NYC is a truly trendsetting city. But I have to say that this inflates their ego and fosters an overly competitive and snobbish mentality. New Yorkers just become kind of cold.

I'd rather live in LA where despite the lack of intellectual environment people are more genuine and friendly and live and let live.

LA >>>> NYC

Old 07-23-2012, 06:27 PM

5,835 posts, read 10,730,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
To be honest, as much as I love LA, it's not the most intellectual town. It's the most creative town. So much it puts NYC to shame but it's not a place that fosters long drawn out talks about current events or Cold War history. In fact the people that do bring it up almost sound like they have no idea what they're talking about.

I really characterize the intelligence of the city by what it's citizens do when the cross walk sign signals their chance to walk. NY'ers and Bostonians look both ways and cross regardless of what the sign says as long as there are no cars. Angelenos wait and wait and wait until the sign tells them to go, even if there are no cars. LA is a trendy follow the herd kinda town. Sure everyone has a different style but it's still within the "be an individual like everyone else" box.

NYC is a truly trendsetting city. But I have to say that this inflates their ego and fosters an overly competitive and snobbish mentality. New Yorkers just become kind of cold.

I'd rather live in LA where despite the lack of intellectual environment people are more genuine and friendly and live and let live.

LA >>>> NYC
Yet, even LA most definitely has its intellectual subcultures and enclaves.

Pasadena is almost a 180 turn from the typical LA stereotype. Not only is Caltech there, but you has a city college, as well as a couple much smaller educational institutions, small three art museums, and a lot of historic architecture. You definitely have a college town feel there. However, with LAs two other intellectual powerhouses: UCLA and USC, I don't there is much of a geographic intellectual enclave. Associated individuals are most scattered.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:25 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,043,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post

LA >>>> NYC
Maybe in the Valley, but check my streetcorner any hour of any day and you'll see plenty of jaywalking.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:55 PM

I have to say that the stereotypes about LA are mostly due to Beverly Hills. That is the only place in all of LA where I've encountered the least bit of pretentious snobbery or gawdy glamour.

I recently shopped and ate there and it was too much for me. The old ladies were gawking at my fiancé who is a beautiful Texan belle. They were just rudely gawking. She thought she was wearing a horrible outfit or looked ugly. The old men make it so obvious they were staring and right on front of their wives too!

It just reminded me of the type of gawking we encountered in The South of France, Cannes.

Anyone get these stares too? I mean it was only a select few but the stereotypes were true.

So it sucks that Beverly Hills is what tourists see and they miss out on the general friendliness of LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or